Ashlu Main Road Info? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Ashlu Main Road Info?

Has anyone been up the Ashlu road recently? Any info aside from what is on bivouac?

Hoping to get up there in my Escape - not the best clearance in the world...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 01:40 AM
Headed for the Mountains

How far up the road are you looking to go? Previous reports indicate that the road is very rough and bushy if you want to go as far as Ashlu/Porterhouse

https://forums.clubtread.com/27-briti...19-2013-a.html

https://forums.clubtread.com/27-briti...st-2012-a.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 02:36 AM
adm
Scaling New Heights

Some friends of friends from Ontario didn't take lightly to me suggesting the road was undrivable and Ashu may be a tall objective. They managed to drag a rental HC 4x4 (not sure what make) all the way to the bridge at Shortcut Cr. They ripped off the front and back bumpers and did severe damage to the undercarriage. Then summited in a mega-epic. Not too much of an answer for you tho ….
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 04:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
They managed to drag a rental HC 4x4 (not sure what make) all the way to the bridge at Shortcut Cr. They ripped off the front and back bumpers and did severe damage to the undercarriage.
Then it's not really a HC, if they managed to do all that on that road.

The road is very bushy as of last year. I don't think anyone cleared it this year.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

For future reference, on Oct 15, 2015, we parked at a large waterbar ~10m (from the Squamish River) up the Ashlu. I may have made it across but didn't want to risk it. A bigger clearance vehicle would have been fine.

About a km further at ~11k from the road we crossed the first major washout that may be crossable by some vehicles. I believe this was Stuyvesant Creek. My car would definitely not have made it across.

The bridge at Pykett creek at 14.1km is completely blown away. No vehicle would pass this point. We struggled to get across with our mountain bikes.

A third major washout in the Tatlow/Falls creek area would be uncrossable in a vehicle as well.

Bummer about the ruined road. I was feeling optimistic reading reports that described a good road aside from alder. Now much further with a pretty serious bike approach.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 10:42 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Good info, ecarter. I haven't been up that way for a couple of years now. If Pykett is gone it is an epic mountain bike trip. A few years from now, it will even be impassable for a bike, once the alder takes over. Ashlu Mountain will be an big unknown like Mamquam Mountain was until this summer. Maybe in twenty years an IPP will go in followed by the BCMC clearing the road with chainsaws. We can start it all over again.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 01:39 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Uhh that means 20 km one-way to the normal starting point according to Matt Gunn's scramble book....

When you say it's a serious or epic biking approach, what you mean exactly? Is the road super rough/steep for biking? Good remind that I should tag Ashlu next year before the alders close in.. Just make it an overnight trip, not the end of the world I guess....
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Stoked:

Yeah - the Pykett bridge is literally gone. Ill post a TR with a photo later. Maybe you should propose the IPP?

StevenSong:

Yes - 20ish km one way to the 'trailhead'. From there it is quite reasonable. Aside from the three major washout, the road is a great ride. Its totally ridable up and not bad down if you don't drop your bike in the washout and snap your derailer hanger... By serious I just meant long aside from the added time to the day, its pretty reasonable.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 02:23 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Maybe somebody will do some logging up there and rebuild the road for hauling.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 04:02 PM
Banned

I'm really glad now I was able to do this one last year. I anticipated something like this could happen soon.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page