Golden Ears conditions and other good fall overnighter - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By trick

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Golden Ears conditions and other good fall overnighter

Fun day hike to Black Tusk last week and thinking of doing overnighter this weekend. It gets dark early so likely not too far from Vancouver and since it getting cooler perhaps something not too high to setup camp. I've never been up Golden Ears and was wondering if now might be a good time. I understand that there is camping at the flats and higher up. Wondering how busy it gets and looking at older post I saw something about crossing a snowfield. Another hike I haven't done is up to Iceberg Lake on the new trails in Whistler but it looks like the campsites are at high altitude and perhaps a little cold this time of year. Same with Flora Lake.... Any word of advice? Or maybe there are other cool place to overnight locally I'm not thinking of. hopefully something within 1-3 hours. drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 07:01 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Why not Brew Hut?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 08:42 PM
Off the Beaten Path

It might be difficult to find water if you try to camp higher than alder flats. Also, the toilet near the emergency shelter, if it is still there, is completely full.
nickl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 12:29 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: mountains

Snowfield on golden ears is long gone by now. But as mentioned, water may be hard to find above alder flats.

Brew Hut is a good suggestion.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interesting, is this the right trail?

https://www.clubtread.com/routes/Route.aspx?Route=499

Sounds like bushwalking is needed during summer months. Or is there another way to get up there?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 02:39 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by biojack View Post
Interesting, is this the right trail?

https://www.clubtread.com/routes/Route.aspx?Route=499

Sounds like bushwalking is needed during summer months. Or is there another way to get up there?
Yes that's that way. But the description is outdated. I followed the trail to the brew hut a few weeks back and there is no bushwacking and I don't remember any devil's club. It's a decent trail. Well-marked and reasonably east to follow, at least until the meadows just below brew lake. See attached image for route. Roe creek fsr is good shape but probably requires 4wd. There are a couple water bars on branch 200 that need some clearance, but you could just walk the last km or two of the road. It only takes a couple hours to reach the hut from the trailhead - 600m elevation gain, 5km.

See the VOC wiki for the brew hut.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	120
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	96834  

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks! Very interesting.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 03:45 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Cons for G.E.: Yes, outhouse is gone as of Tuesday 27th. There is no water running in the morning at the usual spot above the Emergency shelter, and there is not a speck of snow - so the last water is just before Alder Flats. Trail is difficult and not pleasant with a backpack from 6.2 to 9km.

Pros for G.E.: The new bridge over Gold Creek is open, and final touches should be done by Friday p.m. - so there is the option of the easier, shorter East Canyon Trail to the bridge at about 4km, cross bridge, and intersect West Canyon trail at 4.7km. All the sketchy trail sections above 7.6km on G.E. trail, where hikers get lost a lot, are now well marked with cleared sight lines. Hand-lines are gone. Ribbon is removed from bogus trails which are also barricaded. Both Alder Flats (at 5.8km, 480m) and Panorama (10.7km, 1380m) camping areas are clean.

Last edited by alhike; 10-01-2015 at 03:50 PM.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks for info on GE. One of our Friend has been to Brew Hut and just said she'd prefer doing something else so perhaps GE. There was also mentions of Mannings but I'm assuming it's getting quite cold out there since most campsites seems to be at high altitude. Getting tricky at this time of year.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 12:11 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhike View Post
Cons for G.E.: Yes, outhouse is gone as of Tuesday 27th. There is no water running in the morning at the usual spot above the Emergency shelter, and there is not a speck of snow - so the last water is just before Alder Flats. Trail is difficult and not pleasant with a backpack from 6.2 to 9km.

Pros for G.E.: The new bridge over Gold Creek is open, and final touches should be done by Friday p.m. - so there is the option of the easier, shorter East Canyon Trail to the bridge at about 4km, cross bridge, and intersect West Canyon trail at 4.7km. All the sketchy trail sections above 7.6km on G.E. trail, where hikers get lost a lot, are now well marked with cleared sight lines. Hand-lines are gone. Ribbon is removed from bogus trails which are also barricaded. Both Alder Flats (at 5.8km, 480m) and Panorama (10.7km, 1380m) camping areas are clean.
Great work done, its hard to believe the snow field is gone.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhike View Post

I was misled by one of those bogus trails years ago, and suffred a bad head cut because of it.

Thanks for all the great work and update.

K
post #12 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 03:02 PM
Headed for the Mountains

We climbed up Golden Ears on Sunday. The recent trail work is very impressive: shiny new blazes througout, and a very clear trail.

The only area where there are few blazes is around the ridge cabin, but the route is the obvious one: up towards the rocky cleft. As one approaches the peak, there are, at times, multiple routes up: all require use of hands, but there is only modest exposure.

Shocking to see the 'permanent' snowfield completely gone. The hike was also more difficult and yet more spectacular than I recall from twenty years ago.

Great thanks to those who have worked so hard recently on this epic and classic trail.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

It is rare the snowfield disappears completely. This is the first time I know of this occurred since several years ago.

Its that global warming thing.

K
post #14 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 10:42 AM
Hittin' the Trails

New site member here...lots of great info. I'll ask here because I've got a G.E's park querie. Anybody have any info on the cabin at North end of the lake? I've been doing some research on Robie Reid and understand there's a cabin on the way about 5 km in from the trail head. I have seen some older posts with pics. Anybody here know if the cabin is still there? Was looking at doing an overnighter to the cabin and checking some of the trail to Robie Reid for a trip next year. Any info appreciated....thanks.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page