Pemberton to Harrison advice? - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 06:27 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RickB

The latest news (last week) from the Chilliwack Forest District people is that the bridge over Doctors Creek will be finished in October 2005.
Thanks for the info, Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 08:18 AM
Headed for the Mountains

i drove this road last year in mid May, i had at the time a Nissan 4x4 raised up...i made it to Harrison with no "real" problems but did get into some sticky parts where streams and wash outs were.

if you can do it its a nice ride 4x4 or bike
post #33 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 01:34 PM

I drove this road on June 3 of this year and could not get passed the 56km mark due to the bridge that was removed. The road is not that bad at all. Decent 2 wheel drive truck and some trail knowledge is all thats needed. I had my truck in 2wheel drive the whole time and was never in jeopardy of bottoming out. (stock f150 on 31's/ 16rim

For the steep section and blind turn or two, its common courtesy to pull out and shut down your vehicle to listen for oncoming traffic for a few minutes. There are only one or two spots that might warrant pulling out for a listen.

Take it slow and you should be fine! Lots of wildlife, and little trails to explore on the way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 09:28 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: running, hiking, climbing, telemarking, biking

Teleboy,
We are planning to bike this route in late July so I will be able to tell you after that. However, if you want some information from a few years ago, you might want to use the following url. Read both accounts (his and hers) as they complement each other.

http://www.gonecycling.com/touring/harrison.html

There are a few other reports you can find with Google, but this is the most informative. Also, if you want moderately detailed maps with no topo info, you can check the Chilliwack Forest Service website. If you go, let us know what its like. And Chris, I'll let you know how our trip goes too. Should be fun, Vancouver to Whistler by the less congested scenic route.

Cheers,
Rick
post #35 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 06:38 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, Camping, hunting for Hotsprings

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Terra

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fireguy1can

hey idiots why don't yuo annouce it to the world where some of these things are so all the tourists and everyone else on a sunday drive can find them. why don't you figure it out for youreself and go and try to find them instead of stealing someone elses information. I let you know of a secret spot here in b.c. that now one knows about yet NOT. Find the hotsprings youreself and as for all the information put on here over half of it is false. Trust me i have been to alot and i threw out my books and backroad books a long time ago because they just get you lost
Yes, doing your own research and leg work when trying to unravel the mysteries of an elusive area is a major part of the enchantment. However, it is within every person's right to post on CT and ask for help when trying to access an area. If a person doesn't want to share their secrets then can easily ignore the questions or respond however they please.

On the other hand I think helping someone to a small degree, possibly even behind the scenes, is more favorable than completely ignoring them. As we hear in the news far too often, and as SAR experiences, there are too many people heading out unprepared for their treks into the woods now-a-days.

I'd rather be responsible in helping someone get to and from a place safely, then ignore them and be somewhat accountable for someone getting lost or hurt. You really should decide what works for best your conscience and leave others to decide what works best for them.
While we all have the RIGHT to yell "Fire" with that right comes responsibility. "Doing your own research and legwork" usually teaches respect for the wilderness as you learn. When elusive and special sites are revealed on sites like this those steps are often bypassed. I have recently encountered a "new breed" of adventurer at hotsprings around BC (and I WONT say where). They come armed with decent directions (for roads, not behaviour) supplied by well meaning people on boards like this and they leave behind food, beer cans and garbage. Let them learn in the provincial sites. Road directions DO NOT make them safer, just get them deeper into trouble.
post #36 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 07:05 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Springhunter
While we all have the RIGHT to yell "Fire" with that right comes responsibility. "Doing your own research and legwork" usually teaches respect for the wilderness as you learn. When elusive and special sites are revealed on sites like this those steps are often bypassed. I have recently encountered a "new breed" of adventurer at hotsprings around BC (and I WONT say where). They come armed with decent directions (for roads, not behaviour) supplied by well meaning people on boards like this and they leave behind food, beer cans and garbage. Let them learn in the provincial sites. Road directions DO NOT make them safer, just get them deeper into trouble.

The fact is, whether you like it or not, there is scads of information on the internet about these places. There's the backroad mapbook, for $20 you now know most of the backroads in your area. If these people try hard enough they are going to find it.

The other fact is, is that people are going to go there no matter what, and they are going to leave their garbage etc. So quit whining about it. Pick up the garbage, and educate your children never to leave anything behind. That is the only way. Withholding directions is useless, the real key is education, and staying away from the popular ones if you don't like some dude blasting Eminem at 2:00am. To withhold directions implies an elitist "I can have it but you can't" attitude that doesn't fly with me. Hotsprings, park, trails are for everybody, even the jerks that leave their junk behind them. If you don't like people then go find your own hotspring or camping spot that no-one knows about. If you don't know of any spots I can give you some.

post #37 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 10:58 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: hikingbikingyogastudyingarcticdogswatersportssnowshoeing

Anyone blasting Eminem at 2am is A-OK in my books... now if it was Celine Dion... that would ruin my trail experience...
post #38 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 10:54 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, Camping, hunting for Hotsprings

Quote:
quote:[i] There's the backroad mapbook, for $20 you now know most of the backroads in your area. If these people try hard enough they are going to find it.The fact is, whether you like it or not, there is scads of information.
The other fact is, is that people are going to go there no matter what, and they are going to leave their garbage etc. So quit whining about it. Pick up the garbage, and educate your children never to leave anything behind. That is the only way. Withholding directions is useless, the real key is education
On the education piece I agree and you're preaching to the converted. Does that mean we should be spouting info online about the spots that AREN'T even in the backroads books WITHOUT educating people about how sensitive these areas are at the same time?? I dont think so. Might as well sell guns without training the buyer. Oh right...they're going to buy one from someone else anyways so that makes it ok. If elitism is defined as wanting people to respect what I think of as some of our country's most amazing places and having to spend some TIME in the woods to learn that respect before hitting the wildest and most pristine places on their first or second venture...then call me elitist and I'll love it.

As to secret spots...I've still got some left that haven't been mentioned on this site YET, but thanks for the offer.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority."
E. B. White (1899 - 1985)
post #39 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 11:11 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: hikingbikingyogastudyingarcticdogswatersportssnowshoeing

There is that other little known route... Hwy 99 from Pembie to Vancouver, then turn off at broadway and follow it out to Harrison. But keep this little known route under your hat or everyone will be doing it.
post #40 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 06:48 PM

Springhunter well said i wish i could stay as calm about it as you do but i just can't. It seems every year another place is overrun with people. People will realize someday when there are no more of the secret spots left. They just don't seem to get it yet. I guess they are looking for the easy way to any of the springs. they should learn how to read geothermal maps and get a sense of what they need to be looking for and maybe they will find some on there own. It has taken me weekend after weekend to find some springs that i thought may be there and some i never find because my prediction are wrong. But that is the fun of the whole process the chance there may be a reward in the end. It's not just about getting there but more the journey it took to get there. It sure would be cool to trade notes with you springhunter but i have a feeling if we have not already met somewhere along the way we will
post #41 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 09:06 PM
Banned

Interest: Writing Prospecting/treasure hunting Reading Film

Hello,

There are still many secrets waiting to be found around the Sloquest area and some of them are golden.

Thanks
Jackson
http://www.bc-alter.net/dfriesen/pre...tgoldmine.html
post #42 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 09:44 PM

I think I have the coordinates on my GPX list to all those hotsprings
have a look if you like. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GuyThaLizard or at www.praize.com/forums/guythalizard/ the list keeps growing.

GuyThaLizard

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by FOXTROTS

Wow that an impresive list Shadow Chaser. I wish I had map source while I was living out in BC.

I hate to bust your buble though, but the third (secret)hotsprings I'm talkikng about, between lets say Scoocumchuck and say Sloquet are not on your list. I don't think, and or hope they never find their way onto mapsource either.

The forth ones are about half way between Scoocumchuck and Sloquet, before you hit the Harison Main logging road. One of the many bridges you cross has the name of the creek/river written on it. You're supposed to follow this creek up to the said 4th springs.

I've seen August Jacob's from the road side of the river. It apears you need to cross the river by foot to get to them. I've heard they are worth the extra effort. Shadow Chaser have you been to August Jacobs?

Keep on trekking,
Foxtrots

post #43 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ShadowChaser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by FOXTROTS
The third one is a secret place that I'm sworn to secrecy on
Hehehehe I sure love the Internet! Is it called "August Jacob's"?

The MapPlace shows a spring VERY close to sloquet but definately different... and not near Skookum...

Hi there! Would you happen to have the GPS coordinates to those August Jacob's Hot-Springs that you wouldn't mind sharing? =)

Guy
post #44 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ShadowChaser

How many have you been to.. ? [8D]

CEDAR HOT SPRINGS - east of Kelowna
I know this message is old by a few years. Would you or someone out there have GPS coords to "CEDAR HOT SPRINGS - east of Kelowna".

GuyThaLizard
http://hotsprings-bc-canada.ning.com/
post #45 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 05:24 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Climbing

Did you ever fid the August Jacobs Spring ?

pretty sure its a fake or just a cold spring as I have heard this rumour about the 4th spring forever..

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page