summer parking at Mt Seymour-need photos - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default summer parking at Mt Seymour-need photos

People who visit Mt Seymour when the ski resort is not open may have wondered why the upper most parking area has been empty and gated off for the last couple of years. I left messages with BC Parks and Mt Seymour Resorts to ask about this but no one responded. I then asked FMCBC and received this reply from Jodi Appleton, Executive Director:

"I've heard that the blocked off section is because the ski hill operator has heavy equipment intermittently using that part of the parking lot during the summer while performing ski run and/or lift maintenance. Our trails committee co-chair, Alex Wallace, explained that the gated section takes up about the last 70 metres and leaves about 800 parking spots available so he doesn't see this as impacting public access. He also mentioned that the public can detour to the east side near the First Aid station to avoid that area. Our main concern is still access for winter backcountry visitors who are basically excluded from all parking within the Commercial Recreation Area."

I then responded that, on busy summer weekends, people had to park way down the hill and that simply leaving the gate open on weekends would help the situation. Surely they only do maintenance during the week. Jodi then responded:

"Thank you for sharing your concern that the situation is impacting public access. For us to pursue this further, it would be helpful to have some photos of the parking situation on a busy summer weekend to see whether the amount of public parking that is left is sufficient or not. If people are being forced to park a long way down the hill and we have the photos to show this, we can bring these concerns to BC Parks."

So if anyone is up there on a busy day and would like to help with this, please take photos showing how far down people are parked (and perhaps also of the vacant, gated off area) and email to Jodi at
[email protected]. Please put "Seymour Summer Parking" in the subject line.

Last edited by dixie; 08-25-2015 at 04:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 10:58 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I don't really see what the big deal is...it's a small section of the lot. The furthest you would have to walk is an extra 500m? If that?
Looks like their maintenance is done...they were filming a commercial for a 4 wheeler or whatever it was the other day...lotsa trucks on the ski run road...no warning that they'd be around there. So you could complain about that stuff maybe.
Seymour does have their washrooms open...so that's pretty nice...and for free. But the whole crown land we should be able to park where we want to doesn't apply here in my opinion.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page