Currently somewhere on base of wedge mt. Cant find trail head. Need directions! :) - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

9Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Currently somewhere on base of wedge mt. Cant find trail head. Need directions! :)

I followed all the directions. Headed up the logging road and went down the trail and even crossed a big bridge that's supposed to take me to wedgemont lake where the plan was to camp then summit. HOWEVER iv made my way onto some mountain biking trail. Im just at Al presidente's crossing bridge and at the "comfortably numb" mountain biking trail.

If someone could please give me precise directions of how to get back to the actual trail that would be great. For the time being im going to hike all the way back to my car... fuck.

My one chance to hike this week ruined. Lol (unless i find the trail(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

I am so pissed. We walked for 3km up that big logging road. Didnt see an end to it so turned around but now im wondering if it was further up that logging road.

I hooe someone who's done this route can comment on this because it seems there isnt a shred of precise directions for this place.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 11:03 PM
Headed for the Mountains

From 103 Hikes in SW BC:

From the turn off (At BC Parks Garibaldi-Wedgemount sign on HWY 99)
"at 11.5km turn right to cross the BC Rail tracks and the Green River. Just across the river go left and pass a large sandpit. At the next fork go right and shortly thereafter left again. Continue to road's end at a parking lot and a toilet and trailhead info nearly 2km from the highway. The road is all 2wd accessible."

I haven't been in several years, but this is exactly how I recall it.

Not much use to you in this moment I know, but for future trips I highly recommend the BC Backroads Map Book. It's proved invaluable to me on several occasions with our twisty network of FSRs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

I got back to my car. Found the right trail. I had driven down the wrong way... took a right instead of a left... night hike time i guess.

Thank you
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 11:33 PM
Banned

Gps.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 11:43 PM
Hittin' the Trails

The Wedgemont trailhead and first 1.5k of trail was moved last year for the Wedgemont Creek IPP. It's a bit further down the road to the left from the old trailhead. When I was there in July, there were signs at the old trailhead pointing the way to the new one.
KARVITK, Youliana and Whyte_Lake like this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauls View Post
The Wedgemont trailhead and first 1.5k of trail was moved last year for the Wedgemont Creek IPP. It's a bit further down the road to the left from the old trailhead. When I was there in July, there were signs at the old trailhead pointing the way to the new one.

Wow , never knew that. Thanks for the heads up

K
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 07:27 PM
Off the Beaten Path

It was pretty confusing last year when I headed up there also but I got lucky and found it first try. Just much slower than I would have expected.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauls View Post

realized this after, somehow I didnt see the sign.

So after getting lost and wasting time hiking totally the wrong way, we started the 'real' hike at 9:10ish pm (unbelievable I know), got to the lake at just after 12. set up camp in just some random area as I had no idea where the tent pads were and then we made food and went to sleep. Then today we went exploring the area. Disappointed that we didn't really have time to summit the wedge but I got a good feeling for the place so i'm well equipped for next time.

Anyways we left camp at 630ish 7 pm and arrived at the car at 8:58 so essentially just 24 hours for the whole thing. A little too rushed for me but I enjoyed it. The actual trail itself is really nice, steep but very enjoyable.

Also I'll add that because of the late hike we were there at the perfect time to look up at the stars, and I enjoy learning about cosmology and astronomy so it was a nice treat.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold View Post
Gps.
if you buy me one i'll gladly bring it along.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 11:25 AM
High on the Mountain Top

I just hiked wedgemount last week (Tuesday). I haven't done that slog up in some years but i had heard the TH and lower portion of the trail were relocated, so i was a little more attentive than usual when heading up the road. There are are signs at several key points indicating the direction to the new TH. However, these signs and the fonts used are quite small and easy enough to miss. Just remember you are at the TH when you arrive at the obvious parking lot with the BC Parks map/sign and reasonably new outhouse.

All good from there, other than the trail itself is getting a lot of use and erosion around tree roots is way more pronounced than i recall. Some upgrade work may be in the offing if this area keeps attracting so many hikers. Parking lot was packed full when i got back down at 3:00 pm. RCMP were in the parking lot investigating a possible SAR issue (which did not materialize as far as i know). Had a chat with the officer about car breakins at trailheads.

post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 02:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Num3n View Post
if you buy me one i'll gladly bring it along.
Skip your Starbucks for a month, or whatever useless stuff you buy every day. Or use your smart phone, which somehow you're able to afford.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Gps.
Quote:
Skip your Starbucks for a month, or whatever useless stuff you buy every day. Or use your smart phone, which somehow you're able to afford.

1) I dont drink starbucks nor do I buy coffee.
2) you are assuming I buy useless things for some reason because your experience in life has lead you to believe that everyone must buy useless things?
3) My 'smart' phone, which all phones now are, is $61 a month, and that should be self explanatory. But just in case to clarify, that is as low as you can go for plans without severely handicapping myself.
4) I obviously cannot use the GPS on my 'smartphone', as I was out of GPS signal range
5) If you're an accountant and are also willing to counsel me on financial matters, I will gladly accept that offer in addition to the GPS you expressed you wish to purchase for me. I'm excited since I only assume you must be quite a successful manager of money to have such an intimate knowledge of what I can and cannot afford better than my own self! By golly and here I was thinking I was pretty good at it myself considering my banking job.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 04:29 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Your smartphone has a built in gps receiver. If you download maps in advance, you can use it as a gps without a plan, without wifi, no data usage required...
http://adventurealan.com/iphone4gps.htm
post #15 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantoo View Post
Your smartphone has a built in gps receiver. If you download maps in advance, you can use it as a gps without a plan, without wifi, no data usage required...
http://adventurealan.com/iphone4gps.htm

Nice to know

K
Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page