Currently somewhere on base of wedge mt. Cant find trail head. Need directions! :) - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

9Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 11:29 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Num3n View Post
4) I obviously cannot use the GPS on my 'smartphone', as I was out of GPS signal range.

Are you hiking on another planet? As long as you can see the sky you're within GPS signal range. Now cellular coverage is often a different story, but since you were posting from the trail I assume you had some form of data coverage.
Sharon and alpin like this.

Last edited by kellymcdonald78; 08-27-2015 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Addition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 07:52 PM
Off the Beaten Path

most built in GPS apps in smart phones be it iPhone, Android, my Blackberry or Windows phones require cellular signal only because the maps are stored on some server somewhere else. If you have a GPS app that downloads the maps to your phone it will work on airplane mode. I would still never trust it as much as my Garmin hand held but that is a different story.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 08:45 PM
Headed for the Mountains

GPS basically runs on the radio signals of a fully established geo-synchronous GPS network. Your location is triangulated, so your device needs to "see" at least 3 satellites to have a hope of getting a location fix. This will subject you to the visibility challenges of tree cover, cloudy weather, terrain etc. If your smartphone has a GPS function at all, you are not reliant on having data/cell reception to use it (IF you have map beta pre-loaded, otherwise you're just a red dot in a grey landscape) . As Rocker_man1 said, a dedicated device (with maps loaded) is way more reliable than a smartphone, but I've used both in varying circumstances with great success as long as you recognize their limitations. Before anyone else says it, "A GPS is not a reliable replacement for a map and compass and detailed knowledge of your intended destination."

I thought there was great data/cell reception from Wedge all the way through Comfortably Numb, as there's a cell station parked right nearby....

P.S. Don't let Arnold get your back up. I've yet to see a post from him without at least some troll in it. Don't take it personally.
alpin likes this.

Last edited by Big Ian; 08-28-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 10:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Num3n View Post
3) My 'smart' phone, which all phones now are, is $61 a month, and that should be self explanatory. But just in case to clarify, that is as low as you can go for plans without severely handicapping myself.
Then there must be a glitch on my phone bill each month, that shows only $30, unlimited everything.

Quote:
4) I obviously cannot use the GPS on my 'smartphone', as I was out of GPS signal range
You obviously don't know what you're talking about.

Quote:
5) If you're an accountant and are also willing to counsel me on financial matters, I will gladly accept that offer in addition to the GPS you expressed you wish to purchase for me. I'm excited since I only assume you must be quite a successful manager of money to have such an intimate knowledge of what I can and cannot afford better than my own self! By golly and here I was thinking I was pretty good at it myself considering my banking job.
Cut your phone bill in half and you'll be able to afford things you never knew were possible. Or just learn how to use a GPS on your phone. Really don't think it's a good idea to go out on a trail alone if you can't even find the trailhead.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 11:54 PM
High on the Mountain Top

It's good to know that someone still can't get away with asking for help on CT without getting gang-beaten by other users over petty stuff. Somewhat ironically Arnold, I seem to remember posting a TR on Weart many years ago or something like that where I couldn't get my car up the road and you laying into me for that. ha ha ha. Wedgemount really brings out the best in you.
Spectrum likes this.

My hiking career: a selfish pursuit or a pursuit of self?
post #21 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 01:04 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Cellphone GPS rocks simply due to the ability to use so many different maps offline. Openstreet maps is amazing for navigating logging roads to trailheads, especially when you are new to an area and there are a maze of roads. I used to think those Backroad Mapbooks were great a few years ago but there is simply no comparison.

And Arnold, I still think you need a hug.
Spectrum and xj6response like this.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
post #22 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 03:09 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Yeah Num3n, just ignore Arnold. He's the resident troll.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 11:59 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ian View Post

I thought there was great data/cell reception from Wedge all the way through Comfortably Numb, as there's a cell station parked right nearby....

P.S. Don't let Arnold get your back up. I've yet to see a post from him without at least some troll in it. Don't take it personally.
Good points BI... as for cellular on wedge.. during last week's hike, had a nice sit down at the top of the trail in the boulder field (before the slope breaks down to the lake) and dealt with some work emails that popped up. Actually got mobile data up there too (intermittently). Cell service is fine at TH and surfaces/disappears depending on your location on the trail

As for GPS on smart phone, I have a samsung galaxy s6 and it has a remarkably robust GPS receiver. My go to mapping app is Alpinequest which has some OK pre-cached. north america open source maps but i usually pre-load the Open CycleHike map for an area before i head out. Quite amazing how many trails have been uploaded to open cycleHike.

Oh Arnie, Arnie, Arnie ..... All of CT sends ya some luv

post #24 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 12:21 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

I don't see any more point in keeping this thread open so I'm locking it. Thanks for contributing :/
Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page