Eaton Lake... how do you get there? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Eaton Lake... how do you get there?

Set out to hit up Eaton Lake on Saturday afternoon using the directions listed here: https://www.clubtread.com/routes/Route.aspx?Route=18

Headed up the trail, found 2 different fallen trees that could be considered a tree-bridge (neither of them seemed overly pleasant to walk across), but there was no trail on the south side of the creek. I spent 1.5 hours trying to find the trail / hiking up the creek to find a way up, and got skunked.

Any suggestions? Was looking forward to spending a night in the wilderness, ended up camping in the valley with a rotten taste in my mouth.

Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 09:10 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Not sure, haven't been there in years, but there is a map of the trail here:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/49.2463/-121.3797
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 11:46 AM
Scaling New Heights

I was up at eaton lake as well on Saturday, I found the trail quite easy to follow. It seems like you might have been in the wrong area to cross the creek as the bridges are very distinct and pretty decent, although the 3rd one is a bit sketchy when wet. Its possible the trail kept going and you took one of the side trails down to the creek where people fill up their water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 12:18 PM
Banned

Certainly not a bad idea to get a GPS, if you can't find even the start of a trail.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold View Post
Certainly not a bad idea to get a GPS, if you can't find even the start of a trail.
that's a useful statement.

clearly i headed up in the wrong direction, somehow, even though i had the directions in my hand. i'll have to give it a shot some other time.

--
keith
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 01:27 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

If you parked at the rec site (brown post sign, picnic tables) and headed up a trail to the log crossing, then the trail heads away from the creek on the other side of the log. If you couldn't find a trail, probably the log you crossed on was too far downstream of the waterfall, and you should have been closer to the falls. That's my best guess anyway.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 02:13 PM
Headed for the Mountains

As trick mentioned Opencyclemaps or Openstreetmaps is a great way to figure out where a trail was/is supposed to be. If you have a smartphone you can use the maps offline through an app and will help at least determining if you are in the general vicinity.

I find them invaluable for exploring the North Shore mountain trail mazes and also when there are unknown forks in trails that are new to me.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
If you parked at the rec site (brown post sign, picnic tables) and headed up a trail to the log crossing, then the trail heads away from the creek on the other side of the log. If you couldn't find a trail, probably the log you crossed on was too far downstream of the waterfall, and you should have been closer to the falls. That's my best guess anyway.
thanks!

--
keith
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 12:03 AM
Scaling New Heights

It sounds like you have all of the right directions.... just past the 16km marker on the road past Silver Lake look to your left & there's a brown & white sign for Eaton Lake. Turn into it & there is a little bumpy road that leads off and to the right (parallel to the main road) . Follow this to a small parking area. Once parked look towards the mt. to see a atv type track heading up, but not too steeply. There is another brown wooden sign, can't remember what it says but there was a private sign tacked on it about someone's lost cell phone. Carry on past this, track gradually narrows then swings left & up, away from the creek before eventually returning for your first log crossing. The logs are obvious, have been crosshatched & have a railing of sorts. There is one crossing that is poorly marked, the log has been washed away and you kind of have to hop & skip across debris but the trail is quite obvious on the other side. This more obscure crossing in quite a bit further up and goes to your left as you're heading up the hill. I hope you try again, it's a great trail, one of my favourites. I live quite close by so message me if you're trying again and maybe I could show you the way.

If I don't try, I've already failed.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

after reading all of this i believe i was trying to cross the stream prematurely.

i'll be investing in a GPS to avoid this BS in the future, and I'll hit you up when i'm out that was Shade. Thanks!

--
keith

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page