Port Moody Cougar - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Greenarc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Port Moody Cougar

Just saw a giant sized cougar in Ioco on 1st Ave just 100m above the Ioco townsite crossing the street from East to West.
It was about 5 -6 feet long shoulder to butt. Arms and legs were about 1-2 feet long...id imagine a male. Just walking across
Saw it about 130pm today...Monday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 06:29 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Did you call the conservation officers? They generally like to know when cougars are seen in urban areas.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Nope, I'm sure they'll figure it out... I did see a City of Port Moody truck on the way back in to Port Moody so maybe they knew...or it was just coincidence
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 09:38 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

I would follow up with them..

Who needs a signature? Mine is always: Last edited by dougz; Today at 03:27 PM
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 12:12 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: I hike it cause I like it.

A cool sighting you had. But yes, it's best to contact the CO service after an incident like this. See point 4 below:

What to do if you observe dangerous wildlife?
If you observe dangerous wildlife in an urban area involved in any of the following, please report the incident to our 24 hour, toll free call centre at: 1-877-952-7277
  • Accessing garbage or other human supplied food sources
  • Instances where wildlife cannot be easily scarred off
  • Dangerous wildlife is in a public location like a city park or school during daylight hours
  • When a cougar or wolf is seen in a urban area
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/info/wi...ion/index.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 02:14 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

I agree with all; Cougars are particularly those which should be reported. They chase after and attack anything that is moving, i.e. running away. Which could be kids in a school yard or play ground.

K
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 02:00 AM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenarc View Post
Nope, I'm sure they'll figure it out... I did see a City of Port Moody truck on the way back in to Port Moody so maybe they knew...or it was just coincidence

So said everyone and then no one ever reported it haha

But yes likely you should make a report even now. I live in the port moody area as well and I'd rather not be mauled to death
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Part of me wanted to give it some time to get away from that area, it looked pretty healthy and it wasn't just wandering around so hopefully it headed back north in that same day. The other part was at first I didn't know who to call, but now that someone has posted the number I know...I just don't know what the conservation officers do/don't do so in the end I just really hope they don't go out hunting it.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 03:12 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenarc View Post
Arms and legs
Those'd be legs and legs actually
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 09:47 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Don't call them, they are the destruction officers....just read the papers. Let it leave the area.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 11:02 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: I hike it cause I like it.

The hesitance is understandable but the CO's wouldn't necessarily even come out. They'd likely ask you some questions re: time, where, location relating to homes, schools and parks, etc., behaviour at time of sighting, healthy looking or not, size, etc. and base some of their decision on how you've answered these questions. Observational skills are an important thing and I think people who enjoy being in nature probably already have a leg up on others. The CO service would prompt you with these questions so really, just take it all in and let it sink in.

Another reason why reporting is good is so that municipalities/parks departments can update their online sites or send out tweets if they do that, or post notices at trail entrances.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
Those'd be legs and legs actually
Right...legs for these type of cougars...arms and legs for the other type of cougars in PoMo.

So I called in Friday after business hours just to see how things would be handled...my feelings of calling in wildlife to the conservation office haven't changed at all. As someone else said, I got the feeling they're just a seek and destroy type of organization.
They just asked where it was...but he was in Victoria and I guess without a handy map program in front of him so he didn't know where Ioco was and I wasn't able to be too specific with him. Massive difference between a cougar in the forest near houses and in someone's backyard.
The cougar looked super healthy and not wandering...and I was just glad to see it in the way I did.
Doing the "right thing" isn't always the right thing to do. I don't believe anything positive can come from reporting a healthy cougar or wolf to the conservation office.
However, reporting a wandering, looking in people's trash cans wolf or cougar is a different story.
nickl likes this.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 02:39 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I think you are right on.....people are way to panicky & the animal ALWAYS pays the price. Being a CO must be a dream job for a trophy hunter.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page