Easy Overnight Hikes for 11 year old in Lower Mainland - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Easy Overnight Hikes for 11 year old in Lower Mainland

Hello all,

Brand new here, just getting back into hiking after about 15 years and this time I'm bringing my son.

We live in the Lower Mainland and are willing to drive wherever.

He's grown up car camping but wants to start hiking with Dad. We used to use tents but we've turned into avid Hammock Campers over the last year so a Hammock friendly area (Trees / rocks close enough to hang from) would be ideal as our tent is not backpack friendly. Gave away my old two person MEC Tarn 2 tent years ago.

I'm not worried about how busy the place is, I want a good hike that's somewhere around 2-5 hours each way for his first trip just to see how he does with the pack, etc. I want his first trip to be enjoyable so that he'll want to do it again so some nice views would be good as well.

Right now he has his heart set on Black Tusk, but I've never done this hike and from what I've read may not be the best first trip for my son.

So please, if you have any ideas we'd love to hear them.

If possible list the time it takes to do the hike. If you have any pictures I could show him that would be nice as well.

Last edited by WestCoastWhale; 06-22-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 07:20 PM
gum
Headed for the Mountains

> Right now he has his heart set on Black Tusk, but I've never done this hike and from what I've read may not be the
> best first trip for my son.

I'd go where he wants to go. You'll see to just how much kids are capable of. I know a six year old girl who's climbed Mt. Shear when she was five. The summit of Black Tusk involves scrambling - it'll depend on how comfortable you are with your son above you (up and down). Even if you don't get to the top - an excursion to Garibaldi Lake is beautiful - or hike Panorama Ridge instead. You can camp at Taylor Meadows.

Another first overnight hike would be to Russet Lake hut via Whistler and the Musical Bumps. It's all above trees if you take the lifts. Return via Singing Pass trail.

I'll take my grandson this summer to Illal Meadows. He'll be not even quite four years old. From the meadows you can hike several easy summits. I think it's a great area for a first overnight trip. There are trip reports on clubtread.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 07:49 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Absolutely Garibaldi and the Tusk, if it has caught his fancy. (Assuming he and you can handle some very slightly scary scrambling.) Best as two nights though, with the Tusk as a dayhike and lots of exploring and leisure time. Feasible enough to do the Tusk in the morning, pick up your packs and hike down but you'll feel rushed and cheated of proper leisure time. Bring a book on volcanic landscapes and see what features he can find. Or fish.

Be warned that long weekends are crazy busy. Get there early and hike fast!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 09:25 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

I did the Tusk in a day from Rubble Creek with my dad when I was 12. He will be fine.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Awesome! Thanks for the info everyone. Maybe two days is best. I'm off next week and want to go then. I'm thinking of starting Tuesday morning. Maybe two days is not a bad idea, come back Thursday.

Starting from the trail head at the parking lot, hike to Taylor Meadows, set camp and decide what to do depending how long it took us. From there is it feasible to see both Black Tusk and Panorama Ridge on the next day at a "leisurely" pace before nightfall? By the sounds of things it should be doable. Then, on the final day my understanding is you can head back via the Garibaldi lake... Does that return you back to the same parking lot we would have left from on day one?

Thanks again.

Ian
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 11:57 PM
Headed for the Mountains

WCW, I would go straight to Garibaldi Lake and skip Taylor Meadows. TM is nice as a campsite but if you want scenery you'd be better off by the lake. There's more for your son to see and play around with. It's a little longer to get there but not much.

With the long days it's certainly feasible to do Black Tusk and Panorama in a day from the lake (admittedly it's further than from Taylor Meadows). It's a good amount of distance and vertical but if your son is fit go for it.

Straight down on Thursday back to the car park you left on Tuesday (Rubble Creek trailhead). Will take you a couple of hours probably, maybe a little longer.

This time of year, on a Tuesday, you may even be pleasantly surprised by the amount of people there. It's mostly only a zoo on weekends.

Not sure about the hammocks though.

Anyway, enjoy it, I'm sure your boy will.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks Seboyle,

I am a little worried about taking the hammocks, it would be nice if these places would throw up some posts for hammock campers to use. We'll take it and chance it, if needed we'll figure out a way to set it up like a tent and go to ground.

Are there many break ins at this parking lot?

Ian
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 02:23 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Rock and Ice Climbing, mountaineering, AT skiing, xc skiing, backpacking, hiking...

Look around on CT and you will find plenty of info about all the car break-ins around Chilliwack and Sea-To-Sky corridor....

Also, remember Canada Day is next week so it will likely be a busier than norm mid-week outing

Last edited by burndug; 06-24-2015 at 02:27 PM.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 08:09 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Garibaldi lake for sure over TM, especially with the hammocks bit. The lake campsite is well treed.
Two nights (or more) is a good idea, it's a great area with plenty to see. Certainly possible to blast to the Tusk and back in much less time, but take the time! It's worth it.

Midweek you'll be fine, although with Canada Day on Wednesday it'll be busier than most weeks. Get an early start to secure a good spot, if you don't like what you find watch for people packing up in the morning.

BTW, if the crowds put you off consider my style of Garibaldi trips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0517.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	57018  

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Can you set up camp for the night anywhere you want within reason, out of sight out of mind? Or are you supposed to use the designated locations?

Ian
post #11 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 12:58 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastWhale View Post
Can you set up camp for the night anywhere you want within reason, out of sight out of mind? Or are you supposed to use the designated locations?
You pretty much have to use the designated locations unless you want a ticket. There is no "out of sight" in the popular areas around Garibaldi Lake
post #12 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
You pretty much have to use the designated locations unless you want a ticket. There is no "out of sight" in the popular areas around Garibaldi Lake
Good to know, thanks!

Ian
post #13 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 07:28 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Only designated sites. Well beyond the trail-accessible areas strange people with scratched legs and and good backcountry skills venture and camp, but strongly discouraged and somewhat patrolled close in. Also wrong IMHO, it is such a heavy use area that random camping would ruin it. The sites are great, just hustle and get there early to find the best.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

We will hustle, but I'm sure we'll be slow going. We want to get there for 6am to start the hike.

My son is getting more and more excited.

Ian
post #15 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 01:59 AM
Hittin' the Trails

We did with my son (13 years old then) hiking around Garibaldi lake. 1st day to the lake, he enjoyed swimming to the small island there. 2nd day - Panorama ridge and then in the evening - the Black Tusk. He was so excited to climb it. I chose the evening - less people, less rockfall and I knew he would like to summit it no matter how tired he is from the Panorama ridge. 3rd day - Mt. Price. We had the place for ourselves. My son didn't mind the overcrowded and over moused campground.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page