Mount Strachan Access by Bike - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Mount Strachan Access by Bike

Hi, I was just curious about the cycling laws in Cypress provincial park. I was planning on taking my road (cx) bike up to cypress mountain, and riding on the ski run service roads up to the top of the highest chairlift on Mount Strachan, and want to know how legal that is. The laws on the park website state that "Bikes are not permitted on any trails within the park. Bicycles must keep to roadways." First of all, the ski lift service roads do not exist on the park maps as trails or roadways, but are clearly service roads up to the ski lifts on google satellite. Seeing that staff take motorized vehicles on those roads to service the runs, it should be considered a roadway, and road bikes shouldn't necessarily be restricted on those roadways as a much less environmentally damaging form of transportation (than a service vehicle). I don't see why bikes should be prohibited on those service roads, but am wondering if anyone has an information, or an input on this topic. I know some trails have signs that say no mountain biking, but those are for dangerous places that cyclists and/or hikers could be put in danger if someone was using a bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 12:30 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Lots of hikers use the service roads to access Strachan (I walked down some of them last night in fact). I have a cross bike and while I am certainly not a skilled rider, there is no way I would ride it on the Strachan roads. They are incredibly rocky and quite steep in places. I might ride a mountain bike with fat tires and suspension, but a cross bike sounds like no fun at all to me. While they might look like nice dirt roads on google earth, in person they are really rough.

My interpretation of the park rules would be that bikes are not allowed on trails of any kind and anything that is not a paved road would likely be considered a trail. Of course your opinion may be different.

Just curious why you want to ride your bike up to Strachan? The road is so steep and rocky that I doubt it would be that much faster than power hiking.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 01:20 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

I guess you could argue that the road to the top of the Strachan Chair is a "roadway" and not a trail. Also they did have the chairlift assisted biking on the Black Mtn. chairlift a number of years ago. I agree with happiest outdoors in that you would want a bike with suspension, the road is quite rocky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks for your opinions. My plan was to ride from the water up to the highest point on cypress on the service roads. The cx bike would make the paved sections and packed gravel easier than on a more rugged mountain bike, but maybe now I'd consider a mountain bike if I were to do it. My plan was to ride up the service roads as much as possible, and hike my bike up the steep or rocky sections in true cx fashion, although I suppose it would be the way down that would be more troublesome. How rocky is the road? Is it like loose gravel, packed gravel with some exposed rocks, or fully exposed and eroded rocks? I figure it's the latter and in that case cx wouldn't be smart.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 04:59 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Here are a few pics of the road. I don't know what a "CX" bike is but I would think the ride would be unpleasant on a road bike.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100910 (Large).JPG
Views:	449
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	54514  

Name:	IMG_1478 (Large).JPG
Views:	447
Size:	342.1 KB
ID:	54522  

Name:	DSC04083 (Large).JPG
Views:	411
Size:	447.0 KB
ID:	54530  

Name:	P1100914 (Large).JPG
Views:	410
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	54538  

Name:	P1100912 (Large).JPG
Views:	436
Size:	301.2 KB
ID:	54546  

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 05:17 PM
Off the Beaten Path

The part at the very top near the lift is the worst (not shown in Martin's photos). If your aim is to ride a bike up from the ocean to the peak I think you might be ok on your cross bike as long as you are prepared the hike your bike a fair bit on the Strachan roads. I've ridden my cross bike (very slowly) on some loose and bumpy gravel roads and much of lower Strachan is like that but you may find the upper portions aren't rideable. It's certainly an interesting idea to ride sea to summit.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Martin, thank you very much for the photos - I have looked hard for photos and not been able to find any. The pictures there actually look better than some roads that I have done on my CX bike (like a road bike, but stronger wheels, frame, and rugged mountain bike-like tires), however if I go I'll only go as far as I can go down safely. Thanks for the info happiestoutdoors, if there is steep rough road I'll hike the bike up (giving that if it's ok for riding down). I will definitely tune my brakes well. Thanks for the caution and advice. I will post my findings if I do try this.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 09:34 PM
Summit Master

Interest: 10%

This shot shows the Strachan area trailhead. Centre shot are two signs: Top is No Biking and bottom is Dogs On Leash. Hard to see in this Google screen shot. I would be careful about taking a bike up the access roads even if it is the Cypress Mountain ski tenure.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cypress trailhead1.png
Views:	89
Size:	890.6 KB
ID:	54730  

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks simonc, I will have to go up there and inspect the signs further. It seems fitting that they put a no biking sign beside a trail map sign, since bikes aren't allowed on any of the trails on the map. This rule is present for where there are steep trails and narrow walkways for obvious safety concerns that would result from people mountain biking in these areas. My idea is to bike along the service roadways that are wide and not as much of a safety concern in that way. The service roads appear to be a grey area within park rules as they are not on any of the park maps as trails, or as roadways.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 01:59 PM
Hittin' the Trails

This is not a Park like Garibaldi (against the laws).

The rules for such areas like Cypress are simple for service and such roads. Go for it, stay low profile, be nice to others (I have biked it up). But do not bike actual hiking trails!

Consider as an example Grouse (from Lynn Valley). There are several old signs "no biking" on the way up. But on top there is a biking rack.
Just don't bike on sidewalks where people are walking. Use common sense.

If you are not leaving impact on the environment, or becoming a nuisance to others, stress anyone, or make anyone unsafe, go for it.

Last edited by bogdank; 06-20-2015 at 02:02 PM.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks bogdank - if I do it, it will be on a weekday very early, and I will be extremely careful. I coincidentally will be doing work with BC Parks guys tomorrow, so I will be able to have a discussion with them so I can enrich my point of view on the subject.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 04:51 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1515 View Post
Thanks bogdank - if I do it, it will be on a weekday very early, and I will be extremely careful. I coincidentally will be doing work with BC Parks guys tomorrow, so I will be able to have a discussion with them so I can enrich my point of view on the subject.
Hi Sean!
Did you ride up Strachan in the end? If so, how was it? Considering doing it myself on my gravel bike, combining it with the climb up BLT into one big gravel grind/epic. Just looking for beta on the route up Strachan from someone else who's ridden it, or to confirm that someone else as successfully gone and done it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page