Manning July 3rd 2 days hike recommandation - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Question Manning July 3rd 2 days hike recommandation

Hey, we are a group of 8 heading planning a camping trip from July 3rd to 5th (Friday to Sunday)

We have 2 people with back-country experience and eveyone else have only done car-camping at most.

I have been searching trails and camps within the park, our group consists of varying fit level but generally speaking we would think- for example, hiking up The chief with no gears a fair workout.

Here's a few trails we have in mind, listing from most-favored to least:

1. Frost Mountain Trail- Frosty Creek Camp- Summit the next day
2. Heather Trail- Buck horn or Nicoman Camp- The brothers next day
3. Lighting Lake Chain- Strike Lake-Visting all the lakes the next day

Which one would be most scenic?
Since our group is not so small we would want to be able to find place to camp. For example, I know strike lake, although easy, would most likely be full.
Some people want a campfire (I know it's not encouraged), as well.

I don't want to ruin the experience for first timers, and I want them to have a great experience overall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 04:43 AM
High on the Mountain Top

I'd go for:

Day 1: Hike from Blackwall Peak parking lot to Buckhorn camp. (no fires allowed.) Set up camp there.
Day 2: Hike to Big Buck Mountain - further if everyone is up for it. Return to the same camp that evening.
Day 3: Hike out.

That's a pretty easy hike to get in and out of the camping site and you can split into two groups on day-2 for the day hikes depending on how far people want to go. Frosty would involve a lot more elevation gain and I wouldn't suggest it if you are worried about people having a great time on their first trip. Lighting Lakes keeps you down low and I'd suggest getting into the meadows if you can. The meadows can be very nice in July.

Note that the meadows draw a lot of people so you may find that it's busy. With Canada Day landing on the Wednesday, a bunch of people will be taking the Thurs/Fri off work and it's prime time for people to visit that area.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page