West Lion summit scramble question - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Anything outside...
Default West Lion summit scramble question

I did a solo hike to the Lions today and sat below the west lion summit investigating the scramble to the summit. I could easily spot some markers, but once the route went to the right skyline I couldn't see it anymore. Since I was alone I didn't want to try the route due to the accidents in the past.

If you have scrambled to the top of the west lion, could you send me a private message because I have a couple questions on the ascent/descent. I don't want to post them publicly in order to keep the general public from trying it themselves without proper experience. I'm a rock climber, but I haven't done much scrambling, hence why I have a couple of questions.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 08:56 PM
Summit Master

Interest: 10%

I've been up The West Lion 4 different ways from the notch. As your pictures show, there is plenty of good blocky scrambling rock. The main route goes to the right skyline. I would be more concerned about other people kicking rocks down then anything else but it is a stiff class 3 scramble in places.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 09:06 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stever View Post
I don't want to post them publicly in order to keep the general public from trying it themselves without proper experience.
Ya... that boat has sailed :P

-Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonc View Post
I've been up The West Lion 4 different ways from the notch. As your pictures show, there is plenty of good blocky scrambling rock. The main route goes to the right skyline. I would be more concerned about other people kicking rocks down then anything else but it is a stiff class 3 scramble in places.
Is the right skyline the best way to the top (since you have gone 4 different ways)? And from where I was looking it looks like the rock on the traverse from the notch to the right skyline is pretty negative/sloping down? Is it securer than it looks?
Once you're on the right skyline, do you just follow the ridge to the highest point? Is the route obvious/straight forward?

The descent along the old logging road murdered my knees, so I don't know if I will return just to tag the summit or not But the question of the possibility of scrambling the summit ticked away at me the whole way down.

Thanks, I appreciate the info

Last edited by stever; 06-01-2015 at 09:32 PM.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 09:36 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
If you have scrambled to the top of the west lion, could you send me a private message because I have a couple questions on the ascent/descent. I don't want to post them publicly in order to keep the general public from trying it themselves without proper experience. I'm a rock climber, but I haven't done much scrambling, hence why I have a couple of questions.
Ok, I lol'ed at this part.
Nowadays nobody RTFM, but there's always instructional videos....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=486&v=hkuN9WZZo5s
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 09:39 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan.in.yaletown View Post
Ya... that boat has sailed :P

-Ryan
Yea, but the intention seems good
Steve, there's tons of reports here on CT about West Lion. Most recent one that will probably answer all your questions:

https://forums.clubtread.com/27-briti...19-2015-a.html
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 12:00 AM
Summit Master

Interest: 10%

Quote:
Is the right skyline the best way to the top (since you have gone 4 different ways)? And from where I was looking it looks like the rock on the traverse from the notch to the right skyline is pretty negative/sloping down? Is it securer than it looks?
Once you're on the right skyline, do you just follow the ridge to the highest point? Is the route obvious/straight forward?

The descent along the old logging road murdered my knees, so I don't know if I will return just to tag the summit or not But the question of the possibility of scrambling the summit ticked away at me the whole way down.

Thanks, I appreciate the info

All routes have exposure and are best done when the rock is dry. Over by the right skyline after the traverse (not too bad but exposed) there are some minor gullies to work up (danger zone for people above to knock rocks down). Used to be markers or paint showing the route but I haven't been up there for a while.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 12:44 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
Nice pairing of music...

crazy video.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
Ok, I lol'ed at this part.
That video is nuts! I'm that I wasn't there that day to watch all those people...

Thanks everyone for the info, I'll probably head back in Aug/Sept to get to the top

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page