Upper Lillooet Hydro Project - Any long term impact on backcountry access? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: , BC, Canada.
Posts: 2,463
Default Upper Lillooet Hydro Project - Any long term impact on backcountry access?

I haven't been following the Upper Lillooet Hydro Project in a lot of detail but it certainly looks like they are making rapid progress on the project.

Once the project is complete, does anyone know if it will have any impact on backcountry users? I assume that the impacts will be positive (perhaps better maintenance of the Lillooet River FSR,) and that they won't be gating off access to anything that was previously accessible?

http://www.innergex.com/archives/sit...verviewmap.pdf
Steventy is offline  
Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 10:09 AM
HT
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 100 Mile House, BC, Canada.
Posts: 283
Default

<a bunch of stuff about how IPPs are bad that has nothing to do with the OP's question>

Last edited by Dru; 06-02-2015 at 01:17 PM. Reason: off topic, wrong forum
HT is offline  
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 01:19 PM
Dru
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Climbing, a mountain, Canada.
Interest: climbing and spraying
Posts: 16,175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steventy View Post

Once the project is complete, does anyone know if it will have any impact on backcountry users? I assume that the impacts will be positive (perhaps better maintenance of the Lillooet River FSR,) and that they won't be gating off access to anything that was previously accessible?
Just like you say. Regularly maintained access to Keyhole and Salal Cr. Possibly even in the winter.

The powerline crosses the Lillooet at North Cr/South Cr so the south side road should also be maintained to South Cr. I have heard second hand that South Creek provides faster or more direct access to Overseer than Harrison Hut does.
Dru is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 09:23 PM
HT
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 100 Mile House, BC, Canada.
Posts: 283
Default

<a bunch of stuff about how IPPs are bad that has nothing to do with the OP's question>


.

Last edited by Dru; Today at 12:17 PM. Reason: off topic, wrong forum

Wow, my post was deleted. WTF?

Last edited by HT; 06-02-2015 at 09:25 PM.
HT is offline  
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 10:15 PM
Dru
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Climbing, a mountain, Canada.
Interest: climbing and spraying
Posts: 16,175
Default

Reason's right there. You had nothing to say to the OP, you just went off on a tangent about how bad you think IPP's are.
Dru is offline  
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: , BC, Canada.
Posts: 2,463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
Just like you say. Regularly maintained access to Keyhole and Salal Cr. Possibly even in the winter.

The powerline crosses the Lillooet at North Cr/South Cr so the south side road should also be maintained to South Cr. I have heard second hand that South Creek provides faster or more direct access to Overseer than Harrison Hut does.
That all sounds good. The winter access could be interesting.
Steventy is offline  
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 12:59 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC, Canada.
Posts: 1,586
Default

A BCMC group skied/snowshoed Overseer in spring of '09 via South Creek. Personally, I hate to see any power production or manipulation on the Lillooet River, regardless of its impact on backcountry users.
Candy Sack is offline  
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 01:40 AM
HT
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 100 Mile House, BC, Canada.
Posts: 283
Default

Posts about sasquatches, gold panning or criticizing IPPs are not allowed. They will be deleted.
HT is offline  
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 01:59 AM
High on the Mountain Top
 
xj6response's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sunshine Coast, BC, Canada.
Posts: 2,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT View Post
Posts about sasquatches, gold panning or criticizing IPPs are not allowed. They will be deleted.
DRU is a moderator. He moderated, and rightly so. Steventy asked a perfectly sensible question about the IPP impact on backcountry users. That was not an invitation to hijack the thread with what likely was a grandstanding polemic on IPP's. If you want to do that, start a thread for that purpose.

As for the matter at hand, improved access to Salal ck would be just ducky. Get enough interest in the area and maybe Athelney will find its way to protected park status, perhaps included in Lillooet Prov park.

________________________________

Last edited by xj6response; 06-03-2015 at 02:00 AM. Reason: remove duplicate word
xj6response is offline  
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 02:23 AM
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Squamish, BC, Canada.
Posts: 360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6response View Post
Get enough interest in the area and maybe Athelney will find its way to protected park status, perhaps included in Lillooet Prov park.
Interesting thought. I like it. Without wishing to go too far off topic how does one go about agitating for something like that?
seboyle is offline  
post #11 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 11:53 AM
High on the Mountain Top
 
xj6response's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sunshine Coast, BC, Canada.
Posts: 2,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seboyle View Post
Interesting thought. I like it. Without wishing to go too far off topic how does one go about agitating for something like that?
That's a good point, I did discuss the idea with BC Parks a few years ago. Interest and public pressure is the key. I'd always hoped we could do a Clubtread weekend ad hoc trail project up Salal ck. Rough in a path, encourage use ....Perhaps we should start a thread on the matter.

What an amazing area. If the IPP facilitates access there, so much the better.

thanks to Steventy for bringing this area to mind

________________________________
xj6response is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1