Stein Valley Traverse / Maps / Water this year - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Stein Valley Traverse / Maps / Water this year

Hi,

So a group of us are planning on doing the Stein Valley Traverse at the end of August. There are some excellent trip reports of the trail, which we've read through. We realize it's will be a decent challenge.

Just wondering if anyone knows which topo map would be appropriate for the area and where the best place to get them would be? We have downloaded gps maps, but obviously we don't want to rely on this solely and prefer paper copies. I have some excellent maps for the North Shore and Garibaldi areas, but have yet to find something of that detail for the pemberton area.

Our particular concern is the burned out area where route finding is apparently a bit difficult.

Also, any thoughts on current snowpack and water levels at the end of August this year? I wonder if this will be a concern given how low levels are this year. Will we have a reliable source of water the entire trip and is a dry summer going to make forest fire risk a real issue on an 8 day backcountry trip in that region?

Thanks for any ideas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 11:23 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Backpacking, hiking, scrambling, mountaineering

for a map, Trail Ventures BC is set to release their new map of the Stein area - should be out before your trip. I really like their maps of North Vancouver, Chilcotin and Chilliwack areas so assume this will be of equal quality. http://trailventuresbc.com/upcoming/
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 11:41 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I got mine from Escape Route in Whistler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 12:04 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmesnow View Post
. Will we have a reliable source of water the entire trip and is a dry summer going to make forest fire risk a real issue on an 8 day backcountry trip in that region?

Thanks for any ideas!
1) yes. right next to a river. it never dries up.
2) yes. there could well be fires in the Stein, this year moreso than most. applies to all of BC this year. you should prepare a Plan B, C, and D in case fires block one or more of your other planned destinations as your holiday approaches.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 12:40 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
1) yes. right next to a river. it never dries up.
2) yes. there could well be fires in the Stein, this year moreso than most. applies to all of BC this year. you should prepare a Plan B, C, and D in case fires block one or more of your other planned destinations as your holiday approaches.

IIRC, you get away from the river somewhat as you approach High Camp or Avalanche Camp (whichever one comes first) and there's no "easy" river access until you reach that next cable crossing (I remember this as I had an incident involving getting sprayed with bear spray and I desperately needed to get into the river. Never made such good time with a pack ). Having said that, I don't remember there being any issues with accessing small creeks for drinking water, as there seemed to be at least a few crossing the trail, and we went the weekend after Labour day.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page