User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: hiking, cycling, traveling, movies, trying new places to eat
Default Bear attack near Mackenzie BC

scary

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/bear-attac...145601429.html

Is it typical Conservation Officer practice to kill every large wild animal anywhere near a body? They killed the bear standing over the body, a lone wolf nearby and then they spotted a large black bear and killed him too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

This is so utterly sad and tragic for all concerned.

K
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 10:31 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by idealistic74 View Post
scary

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/bear-attac...145601429.html

Is it typical Conservation Officer practice to kill every large wild animal anywhere near a body? They killed the bear standing over the body, a lone wolf nearby and then they spotted a large black bear and killed him too.
It is legal to hunt Black Bears and each year about 4000 are hunted in BC. On top of that, hundreds of problem bears are also killed. Given the situation at hand, there is no doubt that the CO was acting appropriately to kill any bear in the immediate area. In theory the CO could have tranquilized it and then did some DNA testing on it's claws and stool samples to see if it had participated in killing the young man.. but why go to all that trouble when over 4000 bears are needlessly killed anyway and you have a tiny budget to work with. There also might be some facts missing - the second bear may have shown signs of aggression or being habituated. The CO also had the report of the wolf in the campsite a day or two prior so there was evidence that it had become habituated.

Very sad situation. I do hope that a bit more information is released (was he just sleeping in the open air? was there any food in the campsite? etc.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 12:54 AM
Banned

Well how about they go and shoot the entire frigging forest?!?! Dumb rednecks and guns don't mix.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 01:15 AM
Summit Master

so, she filmed a wolf in camp 2 days prior, but he decided to sleep at the fire while she was staying inside a motorhome? then he goes missing, no screams or she never noticed him being mauled? Did I get this right or am misreading?? A wolf may take a sleeping human, not much sound or fight, a bear may take over the kill in the forest...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 11:06 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Interesting to see the comments some of the folks on Yahoo are posting. "Never camp in a tent in the forest", "Always take a rifle with you into the outdoors". Just WOW
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 01:39 PM
dom
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Skiing and Hiking

Another reason why I bring bear spray everywhere.

Protect myself and the bear.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 02:31 PM
Hittin' the Trails

He fell asleep at the fire, and there was no food or mess around. This is a report from people that were there. This is a very sad situation none the less and should be treated as such. The bears were probably shot because you do not want a bear to create a habit out of this sort of thing.

Steventy they are not needlessly killed every year by hunters. Black bear is actually very good tasting meat, and feeds lots of families a year. I for one make sausage, salami, ground and hams out of black bear. To each there own, some might not find it appetizing but, I think its better than store bought meat. I would say almost all of resident hunters I have met use the meat from bears they harvest.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page