Relay Creek Trailhead Info - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Relay Creek Trailhead Info

Looking for some information on what the access is like to the Relay Creek trailhead in the south Chilcotins.

Map shows 2 trailheads, one about 8 km past the other - also shows a "steep section" on the 8km connector.

Can't find any recent info on the road condition, looking to find out if the road is drivable (4x4 HC) to the further trail head.

Considering a trip into the Dil Dil area late July via Relay creek to graveyard cabin.

Looks to be about 13km from the trail head to the cabin - anyone confirm this? Also any estimates on timing from Graveyard cabin to Vic Lake - is this feasible for a strong party as a long day trip (return) with day packs only?

Any info or advice on this route is appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 03:45 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I was last up that road a couple of years ago.

The steep section has been getting worse over the years.

A few years ago I had my 4x4 van down and back up, but wouldn't try it now.

Also, past the hill is a dirt road section that gets ugly when wet, last time I was in there someone had driven in there and left deep ruts in the mud.

It is possible if the weather changed while out hiking you might not get back out.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 02:06 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Just wondering if you made it out here. I'm thinking of heading up this way next weekend to hike up the dash hill area, or maybe graveyard cabin. I'm wondering about this route: https://goo.gl/maps/xqnSV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 03:12 PM
Headed for the Mountains

If you head up there, I'm also interested in the road conditions out that way.

The route on the map is the usual way I head up there as long as the Hurley is open and there aren't mud slides along the canyon section.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 05:00 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Hiker View Post
Looking for some information on what the access is like to the Relay Creek trailhead in the south Chilcotins.

Map shows 2 trailheads, one about 8 km past the other - also shows a "steep section" on the 8km connector.

Can't find any recent info on the road condition, looking to find out if the road is drivable (4x4 HC) to the further trail head.

Considering a trip into the Dil Dil area late July via Relay creek to graveyard cabin.

Looks to be about 13km from the trail head to the cabin - anyone confirm this? Also any estimates on timing from Graveyard cabin to Vic Lake - is this feasible for a strong party as a long day trip (return) with day packs only?

Any info or advice on this route is appreciated.

Thanks
I got my Jimmy out to the trailhead past the steep section a couple of years back. See if you can find the TR that Candy Sack wrote, I think it was called something like 'Mt Vic and South Chilcotin Ramble'. I can't seem to find it but anyways...

I would agree that if it got wet while you were out then getting up that steep section could be a real issue. I'm not the most experienced off road driver though so what do I know? I was worried as it was but the Jimmy made it easily. It's a long way from anywhere if you don't make it out. There were two cars at the trailhead when we got back from our hike, both stock SUVs if I recall correctly. Nothing special.

It's a fairly easy walk to the cabin. 13km sound about right. Don't have my maps with me here at work.

I would say yes to the day hike but it would be a tough day. Might be best skipping the Dil-Dil completely and taking the trail that skirts it to the north? I haven't done it, we went over the 'hill 2750m' but that should be a fairly easy route I would imagine.

GREAT area anyway.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 02:25 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Regarding a day trip to Vic Lake from Graveyard: it would be a challenging but rewarding day. I have walked from the head of Powell Creek, over a ridge SW of Vic Lake, past the lake and over the plateau to Graveyard carrying an overnight pack in a day. The best route would be to climb up from the SE corner of the plateau and follow the south edge aiming for high ground until you get out of the bushes. The northern route spends more time in the maze of waist-to-knee high bushes. The further west you go on the plateau, the easier the walking is. I also find the southern route more interesting than the northern one. Resist dropping into the Nadila Creek valley bottom - even more bushes. Sidehilling from the west end of the plateau at the obvious pass to the lake is straight-forward.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 02:29 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithG View Post
Just wondering if you made it out here. I'm thinking of heading up this way next weekend to hike up the dash hill area, or maybe graveyard cabin. I'm wondering about this route: https://goo.gl/maps/xqnSV
Unless you have a snow capable 4x4 with rescue ability, you probably want to drive around the Hurley:

http://isurvivedthehurley.com/
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks for the info everyone,

I'll report back if we get into that area any earlier - really enjoy trekking in the area. Did a 7 day try from Lorna to Tyax a few years back at the beginning of July and have been hooked ever since.

Lostfound - good detail info there, I've read about the potential bush wack on the plateau - that can really slow you down, so thanks for the tips.

Thanks again,
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 12:14 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Anyone been out Mud Creek FSR or Mud Creek-Paradise Creek FSR since this thread was started almost a month ago?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 01:37 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Dash Hill Mine rd

It's an fairly easy drive, steep in places, up from the Relay cr rd. to the pass where the old hard rock drilling camp was. I camp there often to hike down into the Dash cr trails or east along Beaver mtns or west up onto Dash Plateau. Hunters use it alot. In 2009 the miners were drilling up on top and had rebuilt the road as well as maintaining the Relay rd. But it's all slumped in now at various sections. Nice to walk though if it's not too hot. As far as the Relay rd, it's getting kinda hairy in a couple of places. Later in summer when dried out it's manageable with a few sketchy spots but when wet it could be interesting. I think 3.5 and 10 km are the most off camber sections with the latter one where the road is being eroded away by the creek. At 3.5 you could shovel the sluffs but no one has bothered as of Sept/14. Can't remember if the 10km is before or after the rough drop-off off camber section, which I don't mind too much as it's rocky and I'm used to it. I generally bring chains and shovel just in case. But if you do get up there it sure is a nice little piece of paradise!.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1413.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	48130  

CraigH likes this.

Last edited by nestojim; 06-06-2015 at 06:22 AM.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 12:25 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Road to Tyaughton Creek Rec. site is in good shape, the Mud Lake FSR section was recently graded because of all the new logging along this road. (No one else up there this weekend.)

The road to the upper Tyaughton Creek trail head is also in good shape, but there is a new large boulder on the road before the road fork to go up the North side of Eldorado. If you have a winch on your truck, it would be nice to move it to the side of the road although you can squeak through if you have a spotter.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 05:15 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigH View Post
The road to the upper Tyaughton Creek trail head is also in good shape, but there is a new large boulder on the road before the road fork to go up the North side of Eldorado. If you have a winch on your truck, it would be nice to move it to the side of the road although you can squeak through if you have a spotter.
Using big steel pry bars a friend and I rotated this boulder around enough that it is now easier to get around; can probably make it through without a spotter now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyone been up the Relay Creek road in the last couple of weeks? Condition report? Thinking of heading out that way soon.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 05:51 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestojim View Post
It's an fairly easy drive, steep in places, up from the Relay cr rd. to the pass where the old hard rock drilling camp was. I camp there often to hike down into the Dash cr trails or east along Beaver mtns or west up onto Dash Plateau. Hunters use it alot. In 2009 the miners were drilling up on top and had rebuilt the road as well as maintaining the Relay rd. But it's all slumped in now at various sections. Nice to walk though if it's not too hot. As far as the Relay rd, it's getting kinda hairy in a couple of places. Later in summer when dried out it's manageable with a few sketchy spots but when wet it could be interesting. I think 3.5 and 10 km are the most off camber sections with the latter one where the road is being eroded away by the creek. At 3.5 you could shovel the sluffs but no one has bothered as of Sept/14. Can't remember if the 10km is before or after the rough drop-off off camber section, which I don't mind too much as it's rocky and I'm used to it. I generally bring chains and shovel just in case. But if you do get up there it sure is a nice little piece of paradise!.

Great to meet you on the trail; hope you have a great trip!

~~~~~~~~~~~

For anyone interested in trails in this area, I just posted all of this to Trailforks:

"Relay Creek Trail

Road to trail head is deteriorating, bank above is coming down causing off camber sections.
Trail from Rec. site to Relay cabin is in decent shape, some wet/muddy sections.
Trail from Relay cabin to Graveyard cabin has about a dozen trees down on it. All can be climbed over or ridden around.
Some wet & muddy sections at lower elevations.
"

"Little Paradise Creek Trail

Overgrown vegetation.
About half a dozen trees down on climb from Relay crossing to sub alpine, all can be climbed over or have a bypass.
The valley bottom brushy section is a lot thicker and taller than the last time I was in there.
With the dry summer the normal wet section is a lot drier than previous.
"

"Little Graveyard Trail

Overgrown vegetation.
Little Paradise side to the pass is in decent shape.
The lower section on the Graveyard side is brushy.
"

"Graveyard Creek Trail

Small tree down across trail, can ride over or around.
About a dozen trees down from Little Graveyard intersection to Big Creek intersection, all you can climb over or have a bypass. Otherwise trail is in good shape.
"

Last edited by CraigH; 08-04-2015 at 05:55 PM.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 12:16 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Anyone been up to the Relay Creek trailhead this year? We're headed in there on friday and I'm wondering about the road conditon. Looks like its going to rain most of this week, hopefully won't get too slick. We have a high clearance 4wd truck.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 02:19 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthorout View Post
Anyone been up to the Relay Creek trailhead this year? We're headed in there on friday and I'm wondering about the road conditon. Looks like its going to rain most of this week, hopefully won't get too slick. We have a high clearance 4wd truck.
was up there a couple weeks ago, road in decent shape a couple of small looking water pot holes that are actually pretty deep, shouldn't have too many problems. Off-camber bits were okay

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page