Mt Edziza - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
qiz
Headed for the Mountains

Default Mt Edziza

Two of us are contemplating a trip through Mt Edziza Park in June. Anyone have any tips/ wisdom to share? e.g. recommended # of days to allow?, better to traverse vs. out & back on same route?, likelihood of snow in June? etc.
Thanks in advance!
alpinehiker likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 12:51 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

My dad has done it - lots of logistics involved due to the remoteness, but that is part of the attraction (in addition to the amazing landscapes). Unfortunately, I can't offer much else as I haven't talked to him about it recently and don't remember his details. I have read some good reports on CT from the area though.

Plan, plan, and then plan some more. And bring a good camera!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 02:35 PM
Ryl
Headed for the Mountains

From what I've read the trails in, especially from Telegraph Creek, are getting close to impassable due to how little traffic they see. Wish you luck though, it's been in my top five goals for years now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 04:57 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

There will still be quite a bit of snow in June.

The northwest got a lot more snow than the south coast did.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 05:43 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: sharing and gaining knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by qiz View Post
Two of us are contemplating a trip through Mt Edziza Park in June. Anyone have any tips/ wisdom to share? e.g. recommended # of days to allow?, better to traverse vs. out & back on same route?, likelihood of snow in June? etc.
Thanks in advance!
I think that any avid hiker should do this trip at least once in their life time. The best way(and safest) to get to it is to be flown in and out.

Read this page and it will answer most of your questions:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...pgs/mt_edziza/

For your other additional questions follow up here:

http://www.trekkingpartners.com/trip...tish-columbia/

If you do go please make sure you dont forget to share the trip with us

“Nature is always hinting at us. It hints over and over again. And suddenly we take the hint.” - Robert Frost
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
qiz
Headed for the Mountains

Beautiful photos alpinehiker! Are they yours? (oops just saw the NatGeo logo)
We do intend to fly in - but not sure whether to start at the north or south? And whether to go in & out the same way? Some friends did the traverse a dozen years ago, south to north, taking 9 days (deliberately slow) in August though. So I have some info but wondering what might be different in June & in 2015.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 07:09 PM
Headed for the Mountains

If you really want to know more then check this website out and watch the trailer. These guys are the best at telling you everything you need to know about the park. You can contact them here at
[email protected]

Here is the trailer. You can also leave a coment at the bottom of the page with your questions:

http://www.coloursofedziza.com/
Ryl likes this.

“Nature is always hinting at us. It hints over and over again. And suddenly we take the hint.” - Robert Frost
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
qiz
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks alpinehiker, I did see the film clip & tried the email last week, but no-one replied to me . I will continue my research!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 09:19 PM
DPM
Off the Beaten Path

Hi qiz,

I did the traverse across the Big Raven Plateau in 2000 (I think, or maybe 2001).

First piece of advice: go, its amazing and unreal.

We scheduled 10 days for a a pretty leisurely pace. I think we did the last week of August, first week of September. We still had a few days where 2-3 cm's of snow fell, and it was below freezing every night.

We flew into Buckley Lake from Tatogga Lodge (on the highway, south of Iskut), and got picked up from Mowdade Lake (if you go in or out of Mowdade you may wish you brought hip waders...).

Due to high winds at the floatplane base, we were picked up two days after our scheduled exit date (of course, we had no idea why our pilot was not showing up, and we had to get creative with our remaining food rations...).

You could also consider doing the Spectrum Range (or combing it with the plateau, for a really long trek), by flying in or out of Little Ball Lake or Little Arctic Lake.

We got real up and close with a herd of Osborne Caribou, and had a couple of grizzly sightings (at a distance, binoculars are worthwhile). Did not see any other humans during our trip.

We looked for the hot springs that are supposed to be at Sezill Creek, but no success there.

I keep saying that I will go back. Been to Spatsizi as well, but if I was forced to pick it would be Edziza.

I saw "Colours of Edziza" a few weeks ago at VIMFF, and it rekindled my interest. There was a good article about a ski traverse of the park in Beautiful BC magazine a few years ago too.

Have fun (you will).
Ryl and alpinehiker like this.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 09:48 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Thanks alpinehiker, I did see the film clip & tried the email last week, but no-one replied to me . I will continue my research!
[email protected]

[email protected]

You could try him. He is the one of the hikers and the guy who made the soundtrack.

post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 11:48 AM
Dru
Super Moderator

post #12 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
qiz
Headed for the Mountains

Red face

thanks very much! don't know why I couldn't find that with a CT search
post #13 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 01:27 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

You might find this one useful too: Pete's TR from 2008

https://forums.clubtread.com/27-briti...-sept-3rd.html
post #14 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 11:00 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Thanks in advance!
Hi, we are the floatplane charter at Tatogga Lake and Smithers B.C.

For your Spectrum Range / Mount Edziza Treck, I suggest that we drop you off at Little Ball Lake and pick you up at Buckley. The total cost for this is $840 + GST. We can take a total of 4 passengers, but the total weight, which includes passengers and gear must not exceed 850 lbs.
I have flown all over B.C. the Yukon and southeast Alaska over the last 30 years and this place is still at the top of my list. June is a bit early, still lots of snow......

Wendel Imhof

visit us at www.alpinelakesair.com
contact us at [email protected]

Last edited by alpinelk; 03-13-2015 at 11:02 PM.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 01:16 AM
Hittin' the Trails

We drove to the end of the Jones Creek Forest Service Road in August 2008 then walked into Mowdade Lake. It wasn't too bad really, there was some sort of trail most of the way.

From there we walked up onto the plateau, spent a few days wandering around, and then walked the same way out. If I were to do it again I would fly into Buckley Lake and out of Mowdade. We spent too much of our available time getting up to the plateau.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page