Dogs in backcountry huts - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Dogs in backcountry huts

Fairly new to backcountry travel and I'd like to know what the etiquette is on bring your dog when staying over in backcountry huts. Is this not allowed (assuming where you are even allows dogs on the trails) or otherwise frowned upon?

Specifically I'm planning a trip to Keith's hut and I have read online about people bringing their dog there so obviously some people do it but I wanted a general opinion on it.

I like bringing my dog on most backcountry adventures, where they're allowed on the trails and make sure that I'm a responsible dog owner by keeping them on the trail as much as possible and cleaning up their mess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 02:39 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Climbing

And stay in a tent? Or make everyone sleep with your dog?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mace View Post
And stay in a tent? Or make everyone sleep with your dog?
Well in terms of Keith's hut I understand the sleeping area is a loft so the dog would stay on the ground floor. I get the idea though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 02:59 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Not a hut user but I do have allergies and wouldn't be thrilled if a dog was staying in a hut. How about 2, 3, 4, 5 dogs etc? Can of worms. I'm sure it happens though and opinions may vary.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 04:47 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I have had to sleep downstairs on many occasions - I would just bring a tent to be courteous if the place fills up with folks.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 05:09 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

From an etiquette perspective, I would say no. While I personally wouldn't have a problem with a well trained dog and a responsible owner, not everyone is a dog person or wants to share their sleeping area with someone's pet. As well, as someone already mentioned, people may have allergies.

I would note that the ACC prohibits dogs in all of their facilities (except for seeing eye dogs)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 06:13 PM
Scaling New Heights

As a new dog owner I have learned that peoples (dog owners and non-dog owners) opinions and standards of a "well trained dog" and "responsible owner" vary greatly depending on experience and comfort level with dogs. For this reason I would suggest not bringing your dog to a hut unless the hut is only occupied by your group...always bring a tent as a back up.

There are a lot of trails that allow dogs. If you are interested you can go to http://www.vancouvertrails.com/ and you can filter their listed hikes by "dog friendly" - I personally loved this feature once my puppies were ready to hit the trail Wish I could take them everywhere but there are days when they head to doggie daycare and I go on a hike...everyone comes home tried that way

FYI for those hikers in Chilliwack (or those driving through to get to their hike) there is great doggie daycare that has secure early morning/late pickup options - I think you can drop off as early as 4:30 am and pick up as late as 9 pm (regular hours are 8 am to 6 pm I think) - Posh Paws City Kennels http://www.poshpaws.ca/index.php I have not yet used the secure drop off and pick up but I know they provide the service; I highly recommend them, my puppies love it there.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 06:21 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Everyone thinks that their dog is well-behaved and well-trained in the back country. In my experience, most dogs are unleashed when leashes are required, so I can only assume that most owners are equally as negligent in cleaning up after their pet, or keeping it out of lakes in the watershed, etc.

If I was in the cabin and you showed up with your dog, I would tell you in no uncertain terms that your dog is not welcome.
RGB likes this.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 06:35 PM
Scaling New Heights

I agree with Kid Charlemagne...Unleashed dogs are a problem. Unless the trail is designated as an off-leash area, dogs on trails should be leashed. While I love letting my dogs off leash a hiking trail (especially a popular one) is not the right place.

A good solution for dog owners is investing (they are not actually expensive) in a long line as it can provide the best of both worlds - allows the dog freedom to sniff and jump around on the rocks, but the owners can quickly and reliably recall their dog if needed. And depending on the trail you can attach the long line to your backpack or waist for a "hands free feel".
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 09:58 PM
Summit Master

in most cases the dogs are wet and dirty and smell, just a bad idea
post #11 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 12:43 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Terra View Post
in most cases the dogs are wet and dirty and smell, just a bad idea
You just described most of the human visitors to the huts as well...
alpalmer and kellymcdonald78 like this.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks everyone for your input. Dog is staying at home for the hut trips.
alpalmer likes this.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 11:37 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Thats the problem...there is always some ass hat like the kid who they think they are the fucking backcountry rule makers or something...

99% of normal people wont give a ****, but if it gets busy then it may be more of an issue. Bring the dog and bring a tent just in case...lots of ppl bring the dog up there.
boatswamper and CL like this.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 01:24 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mace View Post
Thats the problem...there is always some ass hat like the kid who they think they are the fucking backcountry rule makers or something...

99% of normal people wont give a ****, but if it gets busy then it may be more of an issue. Bring the dog and bring a tent just in case...lots of ppl bring the dog up there.
And for every ass hat "rule maker", there is the ass hat "don't give a **** about anyone but myself". I want my dog, and if you are allergic, object to the smell, or just plain don't like dogs, too bad.

If 99% of "normal" people don't have a problem then why does ACC prohibit dogs from their facilities.
trick likes this.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 03:51 PM
Hittin' the Trails

While the best friend might enjoy the trip I'd have to agree with what other have said with regards to allergies. Bringing a dog inside could trigger allergies for weeks or months after the dog is gone. In some people the allergic reaction can be quite serious especially if it makes it difficult for them to breath. A well behaved dog should stay outside even if you are by yourself. Let's make sure the cabins are for everyone to enjoy, I'm my opinion taking a dog up there would be very inconsiderate of others.
W.C-hiker likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page