Twin Creeks Cabins? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Ryl
Headed for the Mountains

Default Twin Creeks Cabins?

When I was up at Lizzie this summer I had the time to read through all the old log books up there, which was quite fun to say the least. Highly recommend it to anyone who heads up here, very rich history.

Anyways, the very first log from back in the early 70's was from a friend of (David Nickerson?) and discussed that they had gone up to the still under construction Lizzie cabin from "The twin creek cabins", and that it had only taken about four-five hours to get there pre-logging road implying that they must have been tucked away pretty far in the bush themselves.

Anyone have any knowledge of these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 05:43 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, biking, being outdoors

Where is Lizzie?

We are outdoor adventurers for two reasons: To discover the world, primarily, but also ourselves.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Ryl
Headed for the Mountains

The Lizzie Lake cabin, up the abandoned Lizzie FSR southeast of Pemberton.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 12:55 AM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, Skiing, Packrafting, Mountaineering

Ryl,

Near to hear about your time at Lizzie cabin. It's a great place.

Just a few musings on this possible cabin:

The drainages to the north of Lizzie Creek are Twin Two and Twin One creeks. Both drainages are pretty far from the Lizzie cabin, but if there's any chance of getting to Lizzie in 4-5 hrs then it would have to be from Twin Two Creek. Even that doesn't really seem possible without a herculean alpine speed traverse.

Any cabin that existed in the 70's and isn't currently well known is likely pretty much gone.

There is a cabin in the Twin One creek drainage on the north side of Snow Spider. Given the distance to Lizzie, I can't imagine they were coming from here.

I do have a question for you Ryl: I've hiked the Lizzie FSR as part of the Stein Traverse in 2010, 2011 and 2012. This week I tried to ski up to Lizzie with some friends. An accident on the Sea to Sky hwy delayed us by several hours, but we decided to head up anyways with only 3 hrs of daylight left since I am familiar with the area. I hiked to Lizzie Cabin in 3.5 hrs in 2012 and I figured we could do it in about 5-6 hours on skis. After a few hours we had made it about 1/2 way to the cabin, but the road/trail conditions were deteriorating rapidly with bent over alder completely obscuring any path through it. We were literally crawling and didn't know how long this would persist, so we decided to turn around and hotel in Pemberton before heading to another cabin.

So my question since you were there this summer is: Was the trail really obstructed this summer too? Perhaps it is just the winter snow load that is causing all the alder to bend over and obscure the trail. Back in august 2012 the trail was brushy, but could still be hiked without significant obstruction from the brush. Thanks!

One bit of good news since 2012 is that there is a new tree down at the first washout so both crossings of the creek can be done relatively easily. Hopefully the spring flows don't wash it away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lizzie Creek.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	368.4 KB
ID:	12089  

Last edited by dandurston; 01-02-2015 at 05:55 PM.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 03:35 PM
Hittin' the Trails

The Twin Creek Cabins were commercial cabins just off the In-SHUCK-ch road. I don't know if they are currently still around. See https://forums.clubtread.com/8-britis...n-history.html for more info. The cabin to the north of Snow Spider is commonly called the Snow Spider Cabin (go figure) and is usually approached from the Van Horlick side.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Ryl
Headed for the Mountains

lostfound: Ahh, very interesting, thanks for that thread link! I figured they were commercial cabins, so thanks for the verification on that as well. I love reading about the history behind places like this, the cabin logs were highly enjoyable for that reason.

dandurston: Sorry for the delay in reply, it's been a busy month for me. Yeah, the trail that follows the old logging road was a wall of alder when I went up in August: it took me almost four hours of struggling to get to the lake and I was soaked to the bone thanks to it having rained the day before. AFAIK the last time it was brushed was a VOC trip in 2010.

I'm not sure if VOC is still responsible for maintaining Lizzie Cabin and the access trail, or if it's been "abandoned" except for the kindness of those passing through, but I don't expect the trail to be passable within another year or two. I would not have wanted to have run into a cougar (as some here have) on large stretches of that trail with my traverse pack on...

On a positive note, BC Parks brushed out the trail from Stein Lake all the way out last summer, so that side will be very enjoyable for the next year or two!

(As an aside, if anyone knows who to contact: the water pipe at the cabin was split due to not being removed from the creek before freeze last winter, and there's a few leaks over the front bunk that could do with patching.)

(As a second asid:, I saw another abandoned road that goes up to the base of Cherry Pip Pass, and this should have much more mature alder growing on it. If access to the alpine from the Pemberton side is still desired, it may be worth investigating cutting a new trail up there and letting Lizzie grow in until the Alder is less of a nuisance to trail building. The old campsite at the lake is, after all, incredibly creepy and unpleasant to stay in very long.)

Last edited by Ryl; 01-23-2015 at 04:09 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page