19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default RCMP arrest trail saboteur in North Van

See PR here http://nvan.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ViewPage....ontentId=40291

File # 2015-77
2015-01-07 07:54 PST

A 64 year-old female is being investigated for allegedly setting up logs and rocks on biking trails with the intention to obstruct mountain bikers. The North Vancouver resident was caught numerous times on hidden trail cams. Caught on camera was an individual appearing to intentionally lay logs, branches, and rocks on the Quarry and Lower Skull trails, located just off the 1200 block of Dempsey Road in North Vancouver.

It's important to note that it's not just mtb trails that have been vandalized. See here https://forums.clubtread.com/8-britis...ring-fire.html

Also someone's been hacking up memorial benches put up by hikers/bikers which is not a very classy thing to do http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=161271

At either end of the social spectrum there lies a leisure class

Instagram: http://instagram.com/sharon_and_lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 04:18 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I was just logging in to see if this was being discussed here. I hike on Fromme quite a bit and have noticed what seems to be vandalism on some of the hiking trails over the past 1-2 years but it was hard to tell. For example, signposts looked ripped out but maybe just fell over.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...oman-1.2892616

Curious what causes someone to go out and cause damage that can potentially seriously injure another wilderness user. This is an interesting case for the trail camera debate. Expensive, in dollars and time, but has paid off big in this instance.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte_Lake View Post
I was just logging in to see if this was being discussed here. I hike on Fromme quite a bit and have noticed what seems to be vandalism on some of the hiking trails over the past 1-2 years but it was hard to tell. For example, signposts looked ripped out but maybe just fell over.

Curious what causes someone to go out and cause damage that can potentially seriously injure another wilderness user. This is an interesting case for the trail camera debate. Expensive, in dollars and time, but has paid off big in this instance.
The Dreamweaver hiking posts and the Peer Gynt hiking posts had both been ripped out and thrown into the bushes this summer. I put them back up and tried to restack the rock buttresses on the posts. Told DNV about those incidents. Looked like the Peer Gynt post had been partially burnt too. No real reason to believe it was the same person as that's pretty far from Lower Fromme

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 04:26 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

I'm trying to speculate on various reasons why she intentionally sabotaged the trails, but nothing excuses creating obstacles that could seriously hurt someone! I feel like I want to interview her, but I'm sure I would just throw up my arms in frustration and walk out shaking my head.
W.C-hiker likes this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

"The accused is set to appear in court on February 04, 2015 to face the alleged offences."

There's your opportunity

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 06:36 PM
RGB
Banned

Quote:

Vandalism of a different kind was done in 2013 on the Upper Per Gynt (Bill's Trail). This trail, one of the three to the summit of Fromme, is designated as hiker only by DNV. And is also in an area where no unauthorized tree cutting is allowed. But as I reported in long TR, dozens of trees were cut beside the trail, with the obvious reason of making the trail suitable for mountain bikes. Despite an investigation by DNV, no one was found responsible. I removed my TR because of the many vitriolic comments by pro-mountain bikers on this forum. Couple of photos taken on the trail soon after the vandalism.

As for trail cameras, last year I noticed two hikers wearing surgical masks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5354_cleaned.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	481.3 KB
ID:	12657  

Attached Images

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGB View Post
Vandalism of a different kind was done in 2013 on the Upper Per Gynt (Bill's Trail). This trail, one of the three to the summit of Fromme, is designated as hiker only by DNV. And is also in an area where no unauthorized tree cutting is allowed. But as I reported in long TR, dozens of trees were cut beside the trail, with the obvious reason of making the trail suitable for mountain bikes. Despite an investigation by DNV, no one was found responsible. I removed my TR because of the many vitriolic comments by pro-mountain bikers on this forum. Couple of photos taken on the trail soon after the vandalism.

As for trail cameras, last year I noticed two hikers wearing surgical masks.
RGB -- respectfully. You also received a lot of negativity because you implied that NS SAR had a hand in the tree-falling.

If you wish to resurrect this discussion again please undo your deletion of the Clubtread thread that you created and you are free to continue that discussion in that thread.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 10:03 PM
Scaling New Heights

Not sure why CTV headlined this situation as " Hikers vs Bikers"
Did I not get a memo or something?

So putting cameras in the bush does work…….( Rumble creek parking idea?)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 10:22 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Wonder if its the same person that has been covering certain trails for years now.

RGB, not sure how you can call actively blocking a trail the same as clearing it so it can be used.

Hiking is ok when you can't ski or ride
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 11:11 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Curious what causes someone to go out and cause damage that can potentially seriously injure another wilderness user.

I would assume she was doing this as she incorrectly believes these are meant to be (primarily) hiking trails and doesn't like bikers coming down the trail too fast, it probably frazzles her, likens these to speed bumps and doesn't understand just how potentially dangerous this can be.

posted by W.C- hiker

"So putting cameras in the bush does work…….( Rumble creek parking idea?) "

That is exactly what came to my mind (although I was thinking Rubble and or Wedgemount). I would love to catch the basts that are breaking into cars at trail heads.
Whyte_Lake likes this.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybe View Post
Quote:
Curious what causes someone to go out and cause damage that can potentially seriously injure another wilderness user.

I would assume she was doing this as she incorrectly believes these are meant to be (primarily) hiking trails and doesn't like bikers coming down the trail too fast, it probably frazzles her, likens these to speed bumps and doesn't understand just how potentially dangerous this can be.

posted by W.C- hiker

"So putting cameras in the bush does work…….( Rumble creek parking idea?) "

That is exactly what came to my mind (although I was thinking Rubble and or Wedgemount). I would love to catch the basts that are breaking into cars at trail heads.
Absolutely it would.

post #12 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 12:36 AM
RGB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
RGB -- respectfully. You also received a lot of negativity because you implied that NS SAR had a hand in the tree-falling.

If you wish to resurrect this discussion again please undo your deletion of the Clubtread thread that you created and you are free to continue that discussion in that thread.
I did not imply that NSR was doing anything. Long after I deleted the thread I found out that they had done some trail marking, that's it.
The negative comments on my thread were due to lurkers whose main job here is to vigorously counteract any criticism of mountain bike activity, even illegal activity that happened on the Upper Per Gynt.

The original thread about this issue is long gone, forever.

LeeL: I ask you to retract your comment "You also received a lot of negativity because you implied that NS SAR had a hand in the tree-falling", a comment that is completely without merit.

Last edited by RGB; 01-08-2015 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Retract comment about NS SAR!
post #13 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 03:04 AM
RGB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold View Post
If she was specifically targeting biking trails, then the old bitch should have her legs cut off, so that we can start putting logs and rocks on her wheelchair trail.
This post should be deleted, because it is misogyny.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 03:07 AM
Summit Master

geez Arnold, we should talk to her about this. Maybe she will get the drift.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGB View Post
I did not imply that NSR was doing anything. Long after I deleted the thread I found out that they had done some trail marking, that's it.
The negative comments on my thread were due to lurkers whose main job here is to vigorously counteract any criticism of mountain bike activity, even illegal activity that happened on the Upper Per Gynt.

The original thread about this issue is long gone, forever.

LeeL: I ask you to retract your comment "You also received a lot of negativity because you implied that NS SAR had a hand in the tree-falling", a comment that is completely without merit.
That was my recollection based on comments I recall that you made. You have the ability to restore that deleted thread. If my recollection is wrong then I would be happy to retract that statement.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page