Sad news from the North Shore - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

51Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 05:10 PM
Rat
Headed for the Mountains

It is my opinion that those who armchair quarterback this kind of tragedy are idiots. Really I mean that sincerely.

please don't be offended or take it personally it's just my opinion
susied, blackfly, Dru and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 05:35 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinehiker View Post
@ tu

Ok Einstein.
Insults from one accusing others of the same.

I took my kids at very young ages to many places that some might call risky but they survived to tell the tales. And lots of tales we have. There is no reason not to take your kids with you if you have prepared them adequately. How else does one teach their children to assess risk for themselves if they don't expose them to such instances? My kids now travel safely to many places on their own with confidence that they might not had they not been shown at a young age that they could.

It's a sad day when things like this go wrong but sometimes life doesn't work in idealistic ways. My condolences to the family for their tragic loss.

Last edited by WestCoastPaddler; 12-23-2014 at 05:50 PM.
post #33 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 07:17 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: sharing and gaining knowledge

@ westcoastpaddle

I agree with you,however that does not mean that i have to follow your example,or that if i have a different opinion than yours you have to call me an idiot(not you,just saying) just because i don't do the same. If you carefully read my reply to another user's comment you will see why i made that comment, it was for that particular scenario and not as a general rule that parents should not hike with their kids.

@ rat

You are off topic,i don't think i did what you are accusing me of. But i appreciate your honesty Just that calling me an idiot wont make you a smart ass, that's for sure!

Maybe we should end this, unless more of you want to call me an idiot.

“Nature is always hinting at us. It hints over and over again. And suddenly we take the hint.” - Robert Frost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 07:36 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I'm not the one who's cursing at people. Give me a break. I just wrote that we should end this in respect for the girl's death as you mentioned and right after my post you decide to attack me again. So much for that.

“Nature is always hinting at us. It hints over and over again. And suddenly we take the hint.” - Robert Frost
post #35 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 07:37 PM
Headed for the Mountains

It's pathetic that one member of this forum has to use a thread like this to display his insecurity and neuroses. Like many other members I started taking my son on hikes and ski trips long before he was 10. We climbed the Lions, Harvey and Brunswick together, sometimes in snow, skied Diamond Head and the Harvey traverse and did many serious scrambles in the Rockies. I spent sleepless nights before some of these trips working over every angle, making sure we were prepared in every possible way. Even so there was risk involved, always. Today he's an avid and accomplished climber and skier, far above my standard but I take pride in the grounding I gave him years ago.
Yesterday's conditions were no worse than they are most of the year in our mountains. If hikers in southwestern BC stayed home after rainstorms their window of opportunity would be down to about six weeks a year. Every trail up the mountains from Howe Sound offers tricky sections. You go out equiped and prepared to deal with them. You pay your dues over the years, run some calculated risks, make mistakes and learn from them. But, as yesterday, after all the calculation and preparation things can still go badly wrong.
I spent 20 years in SAR, witnessed the results of mishaps that should never have happened and some where every precaution had been taken but things still went badly wrong. The greatest reward I ever received was meeting a lady we'd airlifted off Bruswick unconscious after a bad accident, years later still climbing, still loving the outdoors.
We should all keep going out and keep taking our kids with us if we can, giving them the benefit of our experience. They'll learn by doing, not by sitting behind a keyboard slanging people and laying claim to knowledge they demonstrably don't have.
post #36 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 07:45 PM
Headed for the Mountains

People stop the bickering and take it to private messaging if you must This was a tragic accident and we weren't there. They were an experienced family of hikers with others surrounding them and something awful happened. I really don't believe there is any blame or fault here.
alpinehiker likes this.
post #37 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 07:50 PM
Headed for the Mountains

@ howes sound

Explain to me please what you wrote here then:

Quote:
The descent to Lone Tree Creek was always tricky. The recent heavy rains washed away the bridge crossing the creek and scoured its banks, obviously causing instability"
All i did was to reply to your post. Let me make this easier to understand for you and all the others who freaked out here. This is what you say:

"Vacation in Siria, possible blown bridges due to terror attacks, country very unstable due to intense war,obviously causing instability in the region".

Now i come along and reply to your ad and all i say that giving those conditions i wouldn't bring my kids on a vacation there, not that i would never take them to Siria. Then i move on and say when traveling to those kind of places one should pay more attention to objective hazards, like be aware of them and avoid them as much as possible.

Now i'm an idiot because i told you not to go there given those conditions that you wrote about.

post #38 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 10:29 PM
Summit Master

Dude shut the **** up.

A child is tragically dead. Your opinion and ego-stroking are not relevant to the issue at hand. Show some respect you moron.
Dru likes this.
post #39 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 10:59 PM
Summit Master

who's got the key to lock this embarrassing thread? hope the people involved never see this one..
post #40 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 11:03 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, Climbing, Skiing, Mountaineering, Guitar and Aquaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinehiker View Post
In this case, why would the parents want to bring their 7 year old with them? I think that responsible back country travelers should be aware of potential objective hazards and avoid them as much as possible especially when hiking with children. This tragic accident should not have happened.
You are directly questioning the decisions of the parents that lead up to the accident. You then state that the accident would not have happened if they had been "more responsible back country travelers".

I think people are taking offense to your opinion because it reads as though you are blaming the parents for the accident and many here, including myself, would take their children on exactly the same hike.
Redbeard likes this.
post #41 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 11:13 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfly View Post
Dude shut the **** up.

A child is tragically dead. Your opinion and ego-stroking are not relevant to the issue at hand. Show some respect you moron.

I concur,
and condolences to the family for such a loss.
dblair, blackfly and Dru like this.
post #42 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 11:58 PM
Hittin' the Trails

alpinehiker, drop the holier than thou, smug attitude.
post #43 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 12:12 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Threads like this cause me to wonder how much negative feedback it would take for a user to potentially rethink whether they should have posted at all.

Not every opinion needs to be shared.

Thumper's law:

Not that they're likely to see this here (I actually hope they don't) but condolences for the family's loss, especially given the season.
calixtomoon, susied, Dru and 1 others like this.
post #44 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 02:47 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Condolences

Condolences to the family, having hiked many years with our young one I just can't imagine.
calixtomoon and alpinehiker like this.
post #45 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 03:20 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Love the outdoors. Trying new things. And at night......BOGGLE!

Heartbreaking.

Wholeheartedly agree:

[QUOTE=Big Ian;570305]

Not every opinion needs to be shared.

Chaos, Panic & Disorder----my work here is done.
Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page