Elfin winter route - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Elfin winter route

Hi all

Just a quick question

I'm planning on taking some friends up to Elfin lakes for a day trip on the 7th and was wondering if there's any need to take the 'winter route'

I've been up there several times, all the way to the cabin in summer and up to around Paul ridge in deep winter (when the pole markers were up)

Since there's some snow up there but the pole markers aren't yet up, where exactly does the winter route go? Is it similar to the alternate mountain bike path that splits off past red heather in the summer?

Should I even care care given the snow level is probably fairly low with unlikely avalanche conditions now anyway - with a 'summer route' fine to do?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

One section of summer route is prone to some snow avalanche, it be wise to take winter route ..as you climb over the top you largely avoid side slopes where I have seen snow slide debris a # of times.s

K
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks.

Is there a map somewhere outlining the alternate route? I haven't been able to find one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 02:05 AM
Scaling New Heights

Anything ski-able yet up there? Where does consistent snow start?

Probably very wishful thinking but, hoping to get something in before leaving for Ontario for a month on Dec 14th.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 01:13 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylaugustine View Post
Anything ski-able yet up there? Where does consistent snow start?

Probably very wishful thinking but, hoping to get something in before leaving for Ontario for a month on Dec 14th.

I would also be interested in an update. sgrant had one a while ago but I'm not sure how conditions have changed since then.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 02:04 AM
Summit Master

The summer route doesn't avalanche except in the worst avalanche conditions. People doing laps use the summer route all winter. The steeper parts where the summer road first traverses the side of a steep bowl, south of the highest point of the route, can be avoided by going off the road and out on the flats to the west a bit. The easiest way avoid the second sidehill to the north of the high point without using the winter route, would be to go over the top of the ridge. When the wardens used to drive snowmobiles to Elfin, that's the way they did it.

Without sufficient snow the winter route is quite awkward where it diverts from the summer route, along the two sections where the winter route is located on the east side of the ridge.

If you don't know exactly where the winter route is, and it's not marked, I wouldn't even attempt to try to follow it.

My guess is that the snow should be skiable at least beyond Red Heather.

Meet you at DYE-II?

Last edited by sgRant; 12-06-2014 at 02:08 AM.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 02:06 AM
Off the Beaten Path

I've been getting a lot of conditions updates for popular places like Elfin Lakes from Instagram lately. Search the hashtag #ElfinLakes. If you don't have the app you can use a third party website like so: http://iconosquare.com/viewer.php#/tag/elfinlakes/

Some of the recently posted images may not have been taken recently, but most of them are. Looks like there is enough snow to ski the the trail to the hut anyway.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 01:06 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgRant View Post
The summer route doesn't avalanche except in the worst avalanche conditions. People doing laps use the summer route all winter. The steeper parts where the summer road first traverses the side of a steep bowl, south of the highest point of the route, can be avoided by going off the road and out on the flats to the west a bit. The easiest way avoid the second sidehill to the north of the high point without using the winter route, would be to go over the top of the ridge. When the wardens used to drive snowmobiles to Elfin, that's the way they did it.

Without sufficient snow the winter route is quite awkward where it diverts from the summer route, along the two sections where the winter route is located on the east side of the ridge.

If you don't know exactly where the winter route is, and it's not marked, I wouldn't even attempt to try to follow it.

My guess is that the snow should be skiable at least beyond Red Heather.

without going into further complicated details, these are the type of posts that Sgrant produced and some much better regarding all around knowledge over many years, I like, keep it up
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 01:36 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Terra View Post
without going into further complicated details, these are the type of posts that Sgrant produced and some much better regarding all around knowledge over many years, I like, keep it up
Are you trying to get my vote to be a moderator?

Meet you at DYE-II?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 01:51 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgRant View Post
Are you trying to get my vote to be a moderator?
it was mentioned, even perhaps just for fun, that you are in the pool of contestors, while I strictly bow out of such ambitious positions.

I do expect some great feedback as you did in the past, if you are staying with CT2, now that that ski season is rolling in. Now being dogless as both have passed with age/desease we may run into each other somewhere in the backcounry,park area.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 10:54 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Climbing, hiking, skiing, sk-touring, photography

sgRant gives some good information, but you need to understand that slopes of less than 25 degrees rarely avalanche.

Also that: An excellent clue to help you determine how far avalanches have run in the past is to measure the angle between the top of the starting zone, where avalanches may release, and your position. If that angle is less than 25 degrees, then you are "usually" safe.

But there are no absolute rules with avalanches, so go with people that are experienced.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 12:06 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: sharing and gaining knowledge

Prime avalanche terrain is on slopes between 35 and 45 degrees but they can happen on 30 and 50 rarely as well. Personally i would never travel in possible prone avalanche terrain with inexperienced people and without the minimum avalanche safety gear and at least AST-1. Also there is a certain protocol that must be followed by all members when crossing a possible avalanche prone slope. But we all know these things anyways

“Nature is always hinting at us. It hints over and over again. And suddenly we take the hint.” - Robert Frost

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page