ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   British Columbia - Mainland Hiking (https://forums.clubtread.com/8-british-columbia-mainland-hiking/)
-   -   Cheam - Road/snow? (https://forums.clubtread.com/8-british-columbia-mainland-hiking/48959-cheam-road-snow.html)

biojack 11-09-2014 11:21 PM

Cheam - Road/snow?

Was anyone up there this weekend? Just wondering what the conditions are with all the rain and the colder weather. Was up there a few weeks ago and was thinking of going again later this week. I remember having to turn around when a blizzard moved in a few years ago... I think that won't happen on a sunny day and would like to be prepared for the trail conditions.

Was also wondering if all the work they did early this summer on the FSR survived the recent rain.

Cheers!

Aqua Terra 11-10-2014 12:18 AM

no reason why serious snow cant move in on a sunny day, keep that in mind. should have some replies regarding current road conditions soon, as I assume a few went up Saturday.

Arnold 11-10-2014 12:48 AM

I'm pretty sure snow doesn't fall out of a clear sky.

KARVITK 11-10-2014 12:57 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Arnold

Seen it before; a few strands of cloud... and snow showers coming down in full sunlight.

K

calixtomoon 11-10-2014 01:04 PM

Pretty sure that's not what he meant

Quote:

biojack 11-10-2014 03:03 PM

haha... Thanks! Yes, it's always important to be prepared and to watch for changing weather. I guess what I want to know is if the trail is already snow covered or if it's currently bare. I already have the winter tires on the Xterra and chains in the back... Usually carry the microspikes or crampons in the Winter . I was just thinking we might go somewhere else if it was covered in snow and slippery already.

EAK 11-10-2014 04:13 PM

Went up on Friday, the 7th. Road was bare and 2wdable to theparking. Probably about 6 " at the summit now. The road should be good to go!
Ed

Aqua Terra 11-10-2014 10:24 PM

Quote:

Arnold, you should know that weather can blow in from the horizon before one get off the summit and get caught in bad conditions.
Why don't you stop being such a tool on CT OK?

Arnold 11-11-2014 12:17 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Aqua Terra

Quote:

Arnold, you should know that weather can blow in from the horizon before one get off the summit and get caught in bad conditions.
An airplane could fall on your head as you descend the summit. Why don't you prepare for that, uh? Forecast has clear skies for next 6 days. Look at it in that context. If forecast means nothing to you, then I hope you bring all the winter gear with you on 35C+ weekends in summer.

Arnold 11-11-2014 12:23 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by EAK

Went up on Friday, the 7th. Road was bare and 2wdable to theparking. Probably about 6 " at the summit now. The road should be good to go!
Ed
It might improve by end of the week, but today the road had a bit of snow that required 4x4. I would say about 1km to the parking lot, give or take. The trail starts out hard and icy on the old road. It improves later, but still not a walk in the park. By end of the week I'd expect it all turn into hard ice.

Aqua Terra 11-11-2014 12:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Aqua Terra

Quote:

An airplane could fall on your head as you descend the summit. Why don't you prepare for that, uh? Forecast has clear skies for next 6 days. Look at it in that context. If forecast means nothing to you, then I hope you bring all the winter gear with you on 35C+ weekends in summer.
we are not going to bother extending any further explanations for you, as the forecast will be 100% correct as always.

sticki_niki 11-11-2014 09:40 AM

Obviously the weather man is never wrong, I have also never ever been involved in a rescue in the summer where the hikers forgot that the +35 degree day turned into freezing in the alpine over night....[:0]

Have fun!

Arnold 11-11-2014 10:58 AM

Pretty much when there is nothing but sun for entire week in forecast, you can count on the weather man. When forecasts are variable from day to day, that's another story. AT, you need to get out more and pay attention to forecasts more, 'cause these things obviously go by you unnoticed.

Aqua Terra 11-11-2014 11:15 AM

OP[u]
I think that won't happen on a sunny day and would like to be prepared for the trail conditions. </u>

Arnold
He posted regarding trip on a sunny day, well before the current forecast of muliple sunny days was posted. Good chance this week its clear for most areas including deeper valleys and peaks, with this high pressure system.

However in the past the cheam range and other areas have been shrouded in thick cloud and freezing temps while the coast and most of the valley floor enjoyed warm temps and crystal clear skies.

numerous times have we been in the alpine areas in bad weather, cursing the weatherman, and then finally driving home in perfect weather away from the mountains, the Northshore experiences the same thing on a regular basis.

Anyways these are simple black and white facts, if one chooses to not worry about these things, then go out enjoy, worry free, nothing will happen.

W.C-hiker 11-11-2014 01:38 PM

good points Aqua Terra, some people just don't understand it till they learn it first hand.

2 weeks ago hiking , sunny and warm, forecast looked great. 6 hours in and a hour from the peak, cloud appears warm turns to chill'n cold feckin snowing ! I was prepared :)