BC Recent Conditions Reports - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

447Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default BC Recent Conditions Reports

A thread mirrored to its Alberta counterpart

The idea is on-going trail conditions update. Perhaps you hiked something that has been beaten to death (Garibaldi, Wedgemount, Seymour ...) and don't feel like making yet another trip report? Or perhaps you simply don't have time for full-blown TR? Then use this thread: Few sentences with conditions update; couple of pics are welcome, but not required.

This would also be place to inquire about conditions. Thinking about hiking up Sigurd, Coliseum or Brunswick - but unsure about current snow level, amount of dead-fall etc? What about Wedgemount trailhead parking? Then post here, and if the way this worked over the years on Alberta side, it is likely someone will respond.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Oct 14 2014:

Hiked up Mt. Strachan from Cypress Bowl. Up via Bowen Lookout / HSCT / Christmas gully and down via ski-runs. Lots of high cloud and zero visibility from both N and S summits. Christmas gully has lots of water flowing down; slippery, but no real problems. Fall colors on full display
PeppyPineTree likes this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 08:13 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Will be a great resource in the upcoming months.

Katie cleared the odd big (big to her) stick off the Lynn Ridge trail to South Needle this past weekend, so it should be down to a 6 hour hike now. [] A good rainy day jaunt.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

This is a good idea.... good shots here...

Seems like this year, we are not getting very much snow high up in the mountains...

K
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 01:26 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Zeljkok: I did nearly the same route the next day but sounds and looks like it just got wetter.
Started at cypress bowl, not sure which trail I used but merged with the graded trail at the Bowen look out. Lots of rain and low cloud ceiling meant no views from anywhere really. Graded improved area on HSCT seemed to have good drainage but anywhere else had lots of water either flowing directly down the trails or crossing them. At the double wooden bridges I branched off as slope contours suggested this might be Christmas gully. I also had a tip that this split was easy to miss and occurred at a bridge but wasn't positive this was right one.

I basically followed a heavy stream into the col between north and south summits. Does this sound like the actual trail? Aside from essentially walking through rushing water the whole way up it seemed a reasonable route but didn't see any blazing till the col so wasn't sure if I was off track or that the trail isn't blazed and water was just taking the natural outlet of the path but in doing so obscuring it. I feel like the latter must be true otherwise route finding would have been more difficult and unsafe.

Continued to both summits with zero visibility. Made my way to the plane crash site. Trails in this area also had a ton of water flowing down but felt a little less "stream bed like". As the steepness levelled off there was also standing water in places. Not too long after the crash site at the1150m contour I joined a ski run and hastened my return journey back.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Yes, that is the right route. Mid-part of Christmas gully trail stays on climber left up the woods, but last section before N-S col is straight up the middle (and steepest).

It is just bad luck this year; usually 2nd part of October is fab time for Strachan, colors, far reaching views and inversion with sea of clouds covering Burrard Strait. I guess we are paying the price for dry year. I was up Christmas gully dozen times by now and it never had more than a trickle. With no end in sight for current rainfall, by the end of month whole thing might be one big waterfall.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 09:42 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Deeks Peak west ridge trail in good shape. I spent a few hours rerouting and cleaning out the bushy exit just before the alpine ridge. Had surprisingly good views, but a dead camera battery. Start about 10 min after main trailhead, indistinct trail to left labeled "old bypass". It isn't great, but there is enough flagging to follow the trail up or down. Way nicer than the lake trail with at least half a dozen nice viewpoints. btw,gate was open at Porteau.
also mushrooms/fungi galore.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 12:23 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Backpacking, scrambling, skiing, mountain biking, skim boarding, running

Headed up Brandywine on Saturday Hit significant snow at about 1900 m elevation. By 2000 m I was post holing up to my knees. Problem was I was bottoming out over loose boulders etc so had to move very slowly. And that led to me getting quite chilled in the wind whipping across the ridge so I bailed out.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 10:21 PM
Summit Master

Interest: 10%

Went up Harvey late this afternoon. Snow level about 1500m for this area and the North Shore (conditions are very "fluid" at the moment with plenty of precipitation and fluctuating freezing levels). Trail itself is in good shape and there's a few inches of snow on the summit area.

lemike likes this.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Oct 24 2014:

Quick jaunt up 3 Seymour Peaks in the afternoon. Tim Jones memorial is 10 minutes up from parking - if you pass by, please stop for a second and pay respect. Very wet with creeks flowing in trailbed and gullies. Some slippery sections between Center peak and Mt. Seymour. Tiny bits of snow start appearing beyond Center peak but cause no problems. Tarns are slowly icing. Still nice colors all around, so as coming Sunday has dry forecast it would be a nice trip. Higher peaks now have snow - only a dusting on Coliseum but Burwell and Cathedral are all white as well as Sky Pilot area.

Tim memorial:

On the trail (descriptions inside):

Spotted Simon on Harvey and started waving but he didn't see me
post #11 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 07:38 PM
High on the Mountain Top

October 26, 2014

Prospect Rd./Baden Powel/St. Georges/Per Gynt...

...Mt. Fromme. : )

Drops steeply down to the 'Eric the Red' trail and a talus field/creek running down from Grouse Mt.

Then rises steeply with the occasional bushy section.

Still rising steeply amongst the big trees to Thunderbird Ridge.

Thunderbird Ridge. : )

Decided to stay on trails and hit up the Frommes' again on the descent, instead of descending the road. This time we briefly had views on top, so it was cool to see Lynn Ridge and The Needles from this side.
There is one very short spot just before the south Needle that I always feel a bit exposed, and this picture confirms my suspicion. : )

This whole trip was all new to us, and a great trip it was despite the lack of sun and views. You have to enjoy tree travel to appreciate this one. Definitely a chill in the air now. : )

post #12 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 10:34 PM
Headed for the Mountains

About a meter of new snow at 1850m on the glacier below Cypress Peak. Not skiable below the glacier. Lots of slots - easy to avoid. Need more snow!
post #13 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Oct 26 2014:

Al's Habrich trail to Neverland lake fairly muddy and wet. Resident blackie munching on leftover blueberries - not afraid of people

Continued on new Robins connector route to Habrich ridge. Full details at bottom of my on-going Habrich Report
post #14 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 11:38 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ChuckLW

Headed up Brandywine on Saturday Hit significant snow at about 1900 m elevation. By 2000 m I was post holing up to my knees. Problem was I was bottoming out over loose boulders etc so had to move very slowly. And that led to me getting quite chilled in the wind whipping across the ridge so I bailed out.
Dang, that is just asking for punishment, we'll see you up there when it fills in and settles a bit
post #15 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 03:09 PM
CL
Scaling New Heights

[quote]Originally posted by John and Katie

October 26, 2014

Prospect Rd./Baden Powel/St. Georges/Per Gynt...

...Mt. Fromme. : )

Drops steeply down to the 'Eric the Red' trail and a talus field/creek running down from Grouse Mt.

Thunderbird Ridge. : )

What a great trip... How difficult was the creek crossing?

There are lots of options to return by different routes to the top of prospect from Thunderbird Ridge...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page