BC Recent Conditions Reports - Page 61 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

206Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #901 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 09:30 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I don't think that last shot is Golden Ears but maybe it is Robbie Reid.. I am having a hard time from this angle since I have never seen it like that. I am jealous, I have been wanting to take a flight around the local mountain for a while and seeing them like this is making me want to even more so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
I don't think that last shot is Golden Ears but maybe it is Robbie Reid.. I am having a hard time from this angle since I have never seen it like that. I am jealous, I have been wanting to take a flight around the local mountain for a while and seeing them like this is making me want to even more so.

Mike, possible. But it took the plane couple of minutes past Judge and Robbie is very close. There were no mountains after and if this was Robbie I should have seen GE after as this was direct line to YVR. This is partially why I posted as this angle indeed doesn't look right for GE

Edit: Now that I look again & compare with Google Maps 3D think it is Robbie Reid. This looks very close to my shot
Attachment 273134

The plane must have flown over GE & this is why I didn't see it on right side of the plane where my seat was

Last edited by zeljkok; 06-20-2022 at 03:19 PM.
post #903 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 05:06 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Yeah GE must have been on the other side of the plane.

The picture with Judge Howay and Kunzelman lake I think you can see Joffre and parts of the Stein on the right on the horizon. Such a cool picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #904 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 06:03 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
First one is of (in)famous Judge Howay; you can see clearly couloir RamblingBull & his party ascended on their trip:
Is that couloir the one in the sun, or in the shade on the other side of the ridge?

Edit: Is it just me, or have a lot of the photos gone missing from that TR?

Last edited by 5thhorseman; 02-14-2020 at 06:07 PM.
post #905 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

It's the one in the sun I think, between the two summits. They came to the notch, then turned right

I can't see whole bunch of photos either. Yet another VS screwup. This is ridiculous

Edit: It is the couloir in the shade! Looking at map from Marek report that somehow survived:

So if I am interpreting it right, it would be red line:
Attachment 273138

and X is roughly where they camped

post #906 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
Yeah GE must have been on the other side of the plane.

The picture with Judge Howay and Kunzelman lake I think you can see Joffre and parts of the Stein on the right on the horizon. Such a cool picture.

Thx Mike. Very lucky with weather, specially for end of November! Crystal clear all the way from Calgary. This is reason I always ask for window seat btw & keep pocket camera handy. Got some nice shots of Rockies too, this one is (already in BC), as plane reached Radium - Golden corridor (left side of photo). Banff -- Radium highway (Hwy 93) is bottom right and then Banff - Louise corridor (Trans Canada) is center right, just below horizon.

Attachment 273140

I could recognize many Rockies peaks too; Rockwall is just below and slightly to the right under plane wing, Mt. Temple (Louise) is roughly center, can also see Castle Mtn, Mt. Ball etc etc. Interesting how horizon is curled, was flying already high enough for earth curvature to show.

Maybe AC should license my shots "This is view you get if you fly Air Canada" LOL

post #907 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 11:39 PM
Headed for the Mountains

That shot is awesome as well but I don't recognize any of this peaks as I don't know the Rockies at all. It is really cool to see the curvature of the earth and with all those peaks you could spend an entire lifetime summiting those peaks.
post #908 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 11:48 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Also I tried to get to clear creek hotsprings today and the road is seriously washed out between 28 and 29km. We saw the closure signage and thought how bad can it be and it is a serious washout I dont think anyone will be getting by for a while. A few quadders said they were going to try it but I didnt stick around to see how they did.

Also on a side note I saw on a local youtubers channel they went up the west side of Harrison and the road is washed out around 60km just a few km passed the burma creek bridge that washed out last year, in the video they pass it but they were driving a runner with 6in of lift on 33's or 35's so a normal 4x4 HC wont make it yet. It looks like the huge rain storms we had the last few weeks sure did a number on the FSR's. I am worried about what else is going to be damaged this year and what other access's will be limited.

post #909 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 01:18 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Edit: It is the couloir in the shade!
Thanks zeljkok, that made more sense to me too.

Quote:
I can't see whole bunch of photos either. Yet another VS screwup. This is ridiculous
Yes, especially since this Judge TR was, I believe, a late spring ascent with lots of snow still in the couloir. Most attempts on the Judge are in late summer or early autumn, from what I remember. The photos in this TR were unique and was one I had bookmarked for future reference.
post #910 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thhorseman View Post
The photos in this TR were unique and was one I had bookmarked for future reference.

Extremely unique, not just CT but much wider scope. This is probably because of limit they imposed on how many photos there can be in report; so their "AI" simply stripped everything above the limit. Map at the end likely survived because Marek inserted it later.

I sent them message requesting rebuild of the post with all the photos in. But who knows how many other reports built over the years are now lying around crippled just like this one.
post #911 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 03:55 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Good trip up Mount Harvey this past Monday. Lots of action on it - passed a group of 6 on the way up, met another gentleman on the summit, and then passed 4 other on the way down. ~4 hours round trip and was happy to have the trail broken through the fresh 14 inches of snow from a few days prior. Microspikes for the most and switched to crampons & ice axe for the last stretch. IMO this last push is super easy but does have some exposure so to be safe I will always recommend having the proper equipment. Snow started at 750 meters but was light until 1200 meters. Temperature stayed below 0 which made for good conditions.

Attachment 273336
Beautiful country
Attachment 273338
Sad to see steps getting too close to the summit cornice. This is what lead to the previous casualties in 2017. Stay away people. Some older steps you can see got even closer to the edge.

post #912 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 01:57 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellcoffin View Post
Attachment 273338
Sad to see steps getting too close to the summit cornice. This is what lead to the previous casualties in 2017. Stay away people. Some older steps you can see got even closer to the edge.
Real danger waiting in such beauty. Yea, a whole bunch of them, a local hiking group, loaded up that summit cornice and off they went. Steep drop off on that side. When its sheared off that clean you would think a warning light would go off. The older steps are scary.
post #913 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Extremely unique, not just CT but much wider scope. This is probably because of limit they imposed on how many photos there can be in report; so their "AI" simply stripped everything above the limit. Map at the end likely survived because Marek inserted it later.

I sent them message requesting rebuild of the post with all the photos in. But who knows how many other reports built over the years are now lying around crippled just like this one.
I sent a note and request to the CT admin.... not sure if they have responded as yet.

I had some TR's that exceeded photo limits... think I will look back at some of my mine.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #914 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 12:53 AM
Scaling New Heights

anyone know whats the trail condition is like going up Alouette mountain or Evans Peak (both via Evans peak trail), i know beginning will have no snow and microspikes up at a certain level. anyone know when that is?
post #915 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 08:14 PM
Scaling New Heights

Anyone got an update on the Grouse Grind/BCMC? Thanks

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page