BC Recent Conditions Reports - Page 48 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

206Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #706 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 08:56 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: What can I say, I love the outdoors. Backpacking, canoeing, hiking, fishing, a little cycling and so on and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1 View Post
I did! The summit is pretty flat so there is tons of room for pitching tents. And unlike down by the lake, or on my Empetrum Peak trip last weekend, there are currently no bugs on Price which was really nice.
Guess you have a permit to overnight at the top these days?

Every journey begins with one small step.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #707 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 01:43 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrip View Post
Guess you have a permit to overnight at the top these days?
Yes, you need a permit. Since the new booking system for Garibaldi requires you to select a campground, I just select one of the non-reservable camps, which was recommended in this thread:

https://forums.clubtread.com/8-britis...aldi-park.html

I am not exactly sure what the official policy is now for summit camping in Garibaldi.
post #708 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 06:36 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: What can I say, I love the outdoors. Backpacking, canoeing, hiking, fishing, a little cycling and so on and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1 View Post
Yes, you need a permit. Since the new booking system for Garibaldi requires you to select a campground, I just select one of the non-reservable camps, which was recommended in this thread:

https://forums.clubtread.com/8-britis...aldi-park.html

I am not exactly sure what the official policy is now for summit camping in Garibaldi.
Hey thanks again. Will be doing this soon. Actually has been on the back burner for a few years now but has moved up a few notch's

Every journey begins with one small step.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #709 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 06:51 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Anything outside...

Interesting conditions on Matier...

https://www.mountainconditions.com/reports/deep-slab
post #710 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 08:07 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Default Mt Elphinstone

just did a hike up to the summit of Mount elphinstone. Trail is mostly in good shape with some mud sections in the upper reaches. Quite a number of snowy patches over the trail above the Dakota intersection. However these snow patches are all possible to hike over. The Rope on the rocky slope is shot and a number of yellow tags have been pressed to the ground with this Winters heavy snow pack. Lovely views at the summit as usual. There are a number of mountain biking trails recently intersecting the Summit Trail. This is confusing some hikers. As long as everyone sticks to the yellow tags and looks for them all should be okay

Last edited by zeljkok; 06-20-2022 at 03:19 PM.
post #711 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 08:51 PM
Scaling New Heights

Went up Sky Pilot over the weekend, still lots of snow right from the tree line to the top of the glacier. If anyone is up there and finds a lone black microspike in the snow, I know someone who would very much like it back

post #712 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 05:35 PM
Ipa
Hittin' the Trails

Garibaldi - Taylor Meadows conditions, July12th.

post #713 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Sky Pilot area conditions July 14 '17

Attachment 215914

post #714 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

LATEST CONDITIONS ZOA PEAK JULY 11/17

Secondary Peak as viewed from trail.. only a few small snow patches..

Attachment 215929

One large snow bank drift in col between secondary and main peaks of Zoa.

Attachment 215937

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............

post #715 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 12:51 AM
Hittin' the Trails

July 16, 2017 - went up Hat Mountain today via West Ridge. Started from Lions Bay (school overflow parking lot), via the trail shared with West Lions, Harvey and Brunswick. From Brunswick trail, took the fork (left) for Hat Mountain, passed the intersection with Tunnel Bluffs trail and then the right fork for Hat Mountain. Trail is marked clearly with yellow diamonds or red paint up until the first boulder field. Shortly after that the markers are gone and orange / pink stripes appear. Spotty, but they are there. Eventually snow patches appear too (around 1,500m) which made trail finding a bit of a challenge too (it did slowed me down a fair bit) Used micro-spikes once for a steep bit. Unlikely I did the traverse metioned in few trip reports (the one that meets the south ridge trail) as I ended up pretty much going straight up and sumitted a bit to the right of the radio transmitter. But that's what my GPS map said and I followed it religiously Only one tricky move but nothing out of ordinary. For return I took the standard Hat Mountain trail over Fat Ass peak to Howe Sound Crest Trail. Things escalated quickly with some nasty steep traverses over hard packed snow. Wished I had the ice axe with me but got away with only one slide. Whoever is considering Howe Sound Crest Trail, should consider some gear too. Took the Brunswick trail down. 04:20 (hh:mm) car to car.

Brunswick Trail and the Tunnel Bluffs connector are a bit overgrown in places and can use some trimming: I haven't been in a jungle yet but it can't get it much worse than this There are also some trees down that you need to navigate.

Links to some pictures I took: https://flic.kr/p/WdmVML Right arrow for 5 more.
post #716 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 01:01 AM
Hittin' the Trails

July 16, 2017 - Wildflowers along the Heather Trail in Manning are in full bloom.

post #717 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 01:08 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Exploring BC ... preferably self propelled, self supported with free heels and a free spirit
Default Stein conditions (July 11-12, 2017)

Special thanks to all who have worked on the various segments in recent years, making fastpacking the Stein on your weekend a viable option (for now).
  • Hike up to Lizzie cabin (4hrs) had a few sections of damp push thru some 'carwash' alder thanks to rain Monday nite.
  • Snow patches started just before the cabin, mostly avoidable until past Heart Lk.
  • The west shoulder (300m elevation gain) of Caltha peak is a good alternative to the boulder trudge around Tundra Lk. Took ice axe and micro spikes but didn't need 'em... but they might be nice in a few weeks 'tho.
  • Trail is tricky to find as it traverses then begins its final descent to Stein Lk. Look for the faded markers and some cut logs. 12hrs Lizzie cabin to Stein Lk, with some time spent wandering in the whiteout.
  • In spite of a ton of excellent trail work on the mid valley, a lot of trees came down since last year and some bushy sections are growing quickly... but the trail was never hard to follow like it was before the work was done.
  • At least three debris flows have crossed the trail and have baked solid in the sun. Easy travel and easy to find the trail on the other side.
  • Razzberries were excellent and ripe, strawberries too. Thimbleberries just starting.
  • Two sets of cubs encountered a few Km downstream of Cottonwood - they seem to like that spot. No problems with cubs or mammas thankfully.
  • Contract crew have brushed and cleared TH to the suspension bridge this year - lots of great work. They had to pull out early last week due to elevated fire hazard. Not sure if the final shifts will take place...

High country pics to show snow conditions - Caltha and Tundra Lks. Traverse should be in fine condition in 2-3 weeks... get after it before more trees fall down and the mid valley gets overgrown!

post #718 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 02:37 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Lots of Downton reports lately it seems so just a quick one. I drove up BR2 road. The washout at ~3k from the highway is still passable but deteriorating from last fall. The avalanche blocking the road at 5k is clear (but still some snow lingering to the side). A new major washout has happened right before the road fork for BR2. It's right down the middle and avoided by driving into the grass on the side. Wouldn't want to be above that during a big rain event - might not survive too many storms. A final washout/slump is growing a bit above the turnoff and was right at the limit for my vehicle (Ford Escape).

I parked at the Holly Lakes TH, ran up to the end of the road and then bushwhacked following some faint flagging and cairns (a day of work on this to trim back a path would make it a really good access route to the lakes above. They are amazing!) to the alpine lakes in the Cirque above. Took nice slabs to the summit of Tenor and intended to traverse the ridge to Found but it was a bit harder than I was wanting to do ropeless with fresh snow. Headed back down to the basin and then up to the Found-Mezzo Col and traversed the ridge crest over Contralto, Schroeder, Linus, and to Peak 8700 (Statimcets?). Fast scree skiing down to the meadows and then hit the Holly Lake Trail back to the car.

GPS Track

If you lost some sunglasses on the trail, I picked them up.

https://forums.clubtread.com/attachme...216778&thumb=1
https://forums.clubtread.com/attachme...216794&thumb=1
https://forums.clubtread.com/attachme...216786&thumb=1

post #719 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 03:56 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Anything outside...

Anyone have any info on Ashlu access this year? Interested in the Sigurd creek trail up to Mt Ossa/Pelion. Last year I heard the road was pretty rough shape....
post #720 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 04:48 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by stever View Post
Anyone have any info on Ashlu access this year? Interested in the Sigurd creek trail up to Mt Ossa/Pelion. Last year I heard the road was pretty rough shape....
2wd access to Sigurd Trail - easy peasy.

The next bridge crossing Ashlu Cr however is out and the road not drivable beyond that.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page