User Tag List

206Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #181 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 09:12 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Default cheakamus lake fsr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer1234 View Post
Anyone know what the conditions are for the Cheakamus Lake FSR?
someone just drove up there this week
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 09:21 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Default pelion NW ridge ski tour

http://youtu.be/tex8zWeSKkk
post #183 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 05:26 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Default Mt. Amadis via Edmeston Rd.

Feb. 28, 2015

Hackles up for about 50% of this hike. I wasn't sure if it was bear, coyote or big cat tracks that were catching her concern until we finally hit a trail and were coming across many mounds of buried scat. This went on all along the ridge, so I am assuming this is prime cat territory.

Trail conditions...this trail is a mess. An uninspiring dense forest of skinny and rotting trees where many of those rotting and skinny trees are falling across the trail. The colour green doesn't really exist below the canopy. This time of year anyway (our first time).

The ridge was kind of unique with it's narrow spine much of the way. One spooky spot of the ridge where it looks to be crumbling its way down to the valley floor. Didn't want to stand there too long.

Finally hit Mt. Amadis. This is just below the summit and the only interesting viewpoint throughout.

Up several meters is the actual summit, but completely treed.

It was a long, cold and windy trip up through the trees, so I suspect the warmth of the sun is really soaking in here. : )

On the way back I kept wondering why this trail was put in, in the first place. It takes over from Mt. St. Benedict as our least enjoyable hike. : )

Last edited by zeljkok; 06-20-2022 at 03:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 07:25 PM
DW2
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: travel/ hike/camp/ backpack/canoe/ photography/ snowshoeing/x-country ski

"Was up on Elfin on Feb 21, 2015. No snow in the parking lot. Ice patches start around 4K. Used microspikes all the way to Elfin. "

Once at Elfin how are the conditions for snowshoeing?
post #185 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 07:46 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Mountains, films, food and beer - in no particular order!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer1234 View Post
Anyone know what the conditions are for the Cheakamus Lake FSR?
Not sure if you made it up but I just went there yesterday and the trails are clear! Some icy patches but you can skirt around it without needing microspikes. Park rangers happened to be on site to remove all blowdowns but even if they were not able to get to them all in one day, you can reach Singing Creek (and beyond the maintained trails).

The FSR was a little bit slippery half way up and onwards to the parking lot but still doable. Just take caution and try not to speed to much.

Have fun!
post #186 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 11:18 PM
Scaling New Heights

Thanks for the conditions updates. Is the Cheakamus FSR accessible to 2wd cars at this time of year?
post #187 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 01:27 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Mountains, films, food and beer - in no particular order!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djun View Post
Thanks for the conditions updates. Is the Cheakamus FSR accessible to 2wd cars at this time of year?
Hm... I went up just after dawn so there were icy patches starting halfway up the road. My awd's m&s tires did skid once but I think it was more due to my driving habits than the road or tire conditions Coming down was much easier because the temp warmed up. I think it should be fine for a two-wheeler but I've never taken one on a FSR so... my opinion might not be the best?

But the parking lot is clear of any ice/snow!
post #188 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 07:48 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Anyone know how Falls Lake in the Coquihalla is doing right now?
post #189 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 05:04 AM
Off the Beaten Path

To answer my own question, it is pretty iced over (about 60 cm according to fishermen) and pretty easy to travel across.
post #190 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 02:29 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Exploring the Coast Mountains and surrounding ocean waters in all seasons.

Latest CMBR from this Wednesday/Thursday is up at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhC3Fl91Taw Note that we've already had significant activity on the layers discussed with the recent storm. As finer weather comes in tomorrow and Monday, people will be pushing out. There's a lot of variability in the snowpack at higher elevations now and conditions are primed for isolated but large events...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhC3Fl91Taw

Fun is where you make it...
post #191 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 11:12 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Does anyone know the status and current trailhead of the hike known as Howe Sound Bluffs in the Dawn Hanna book Best Hikes and Walks in SW BC (Hike 32)?

It's always caught my eye as a pleasant sounding short outing, somewhat like the Tunnel Bluffs I imagine.

The instructions refer to the big pullout after Lions Bay, but this seems to all be different now with the new Highway 99. I'm not familiar with the old Deeks Lake route either, btw, which the book write-up references. Have only hiked that area from the new large parking lot off Porteau.

Not urgent, but I am curious and any thoughts are very much appreciated. Thank you.

-Sarah
post #192 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte_Lake View Post
Does anyone know the status and current trailhead of the hike known as Howe Sound Bluffs in the Dawn Hanna book Best Hikes and Walks in SW BC (Hike 32)?

-Sarah
Is this the same as Deeks Bluffs Trail ? Old Deeks Lake trail branches off this one. Bluff can also be accessed from HSCT logging road.
post #193 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 01:48 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Is this the same as Deeks Bluffs Trail ? Old Deeks Lake trail branches off this one. Bluff can also be accessed from HSCT logging road.
You know, I think it must be the same hike with a different name. Re-reading your report the major landmarks - wet parts, viewpoints, bluff lookout- seem to be the same. Thanks for the detailed info on where that pullout is exactly and how to find the TH. I'll keep it in mind for something new in shoulder season.
post #194 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 08:45 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Exploring BC ... preferably self propelled, self supported with free heels and a free spirit

-Sarah
post #195 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 08:48 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Exploring BC ... preferably self propelled, self supported with free heels and a free spirit

Quote:

-Sarah
Lots of blowdown on the trail, shitty parking spot that's a hazard to Hwy 99 traffic, and local FN doesn't want the trail being used... three good reasons to cross this one off your list.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page