BC Recent Conditions Reports - Page 11 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

206Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 11:34 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick View Post
zeljkok or martin: any idea if Harvey's north ramp is in?
We were up there on Sunday too. Not much snow at all.

Last edited by zeljkok; 06-20-2022 at 03:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 11:44 PM
Summit Master

Interest: TO GET OUTSIDE! Hiking, backpacking, canoeing, bushwacking, scrambling

If you want to do a winter ascent of Cheam now is the time. We parked around 1600m elevation - around 45 min from the parking lot. Went up the gully from the meadows and straight up to the peak. Snow is good although you'll need crampons. Snow base is at a max of 3ft - bare in spots. Nice and consolidated. Some sluffing on Lady but nothing on Cheam. T/R coming up soon.

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
~ John Burroughs

post #153 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 01:39 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Exploring the Coast Mountains and surrounding ocean waters in all seasons.

Latest edition of the Coast Mountains Backcountry Report can be found here. We were at TL and ALP elevations only on this report...

Feedback always appreciated...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9AFhGsYyTk#t=24

Fun is where you make it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 03:21 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Not sure this is the right place for this, but I'll try -- has anybody been in/through Manning recently? Am looking for an estimate of the snow depth either at the lodge or the Monument 78/83 trail head. Am going winter camping at the end of February and wondering if there is enough snow for a quinzee.

Thanks!
post #155 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 05:42 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Loud_Guy View Post
Am looking for an estimate of the snow depth either at the lodge or the Monument 78/83 trail head
Blackwall Peak snow pillow, 1934 m elevation:
http://142.36.245.155/data/asp/realt...asp_2g03p.html

Currently showing slightly lower than long-term average, and more or less the same as last year. Check back closer to your trip date.

You can also check the Gibson Pass ski area snow report for a estmate of snow on the ground closer to your target elevation

Finally, the Allison Pass DriveBC webcam conditions will also be relevant.
post #156 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 10:43 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks, Dru. I've been watching the webcam and ski area snow report but the snow pillow page is new to me -- and helpful, thanks again. I find it strange that the snow pillow reports ~510mm of snow at about 1900m elevation but the alpine conditions at the ski area report a 106cm base at about 1800m elevation (if my reading of Google Earth is accurate). Can anybody explain that?
post #157 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 11:09 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

One is snow water equivalent (weight) and the other is depth.

510 mm of snow water equivalent = 51 cm of water equivalent.

106 cm of snowpack = more than 50% air. so actual water equivalent depth is <53 cm. (106/2)

so, they are pretty close.
post #158 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 01:50 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Exploring BC ... preferably self propelled, self supported with free heels and a free spirit

Rehab hike to Garibaldi Lake yesterday. Overall, the conditions looked and felt like what you'd see in very late May to mid June in an average snowpack year. Prime for fast travel.

No snow on the drive in. Lots of broken glass in the parking lot.

First snow/ice patches encountered @ Km 4.2 on the trail. Consistent snow/ice by Km 5.5 and microspikes are the traction device of choice. Off trail snow was fully supportive so leave the snowshoes at home unless if you'll be travelling south facing slopes past noon on a sunny day. We won't talk about our skis.

Interestingly, the vast majority of the lake surface is hard ice. I was leery of it being supportive (and would have been of similar mindset to the group that gave the lake a miss after skiing the neve last weekend) but I have it on good authority that the ice is 30 cms thick and a party skied across the lake on Tuesday.

So we have perfect conditions for a game of G-Lake shinny - bring the (speed) skates!!!

ps. Pics below taken from the dock and also in front of Shelter #1 . Note the garbage pile behind Sphinx Hut is bare :O

post #159 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 02:41 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffybee View Post
No snow on the drive in. Lots of broken glass in the parking lot.
may i ask how many cars there were ? was planning to go but the risk of break in is making me avoid it...
post #160 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 03:07 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Exploring BC ... preferably self propelled, self supported with free heels and a free spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminihc View Post
may i ask how many cars there were ? was planning to go but the risk of break in is making me avoid it...
I think the bigger risk is for overnight cars. I highly recommend leaving no valuables whatsoever in your vehicle AND leaving the glove box open as a signal to would-be thieves that you've left nothing for them. When 25 vehicles were broken into July 19/20th last summer, I noticed that none of the vehicles with glove boxes left open (and nothing of value in plain view) had been broken into.

To answer your question, 3 vehicles in the lot @ 1010 hrs when I arrived, and 5 when I left at 1415 hrs.
post #161 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 08:36 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I was up Grouse and Goat today and the conditions were ideal just like late spring, the snow was firm and had great grip and the summits were warm when the wind died.
post #162 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 09:49 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Has anyone done Elk Thurston recently? Wondering if snowshoes are required or if microspikes are the better choice?

I've mainly been doing biking with this recent weather but figure it's time to get some views again.
post #163 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 11:34 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Practically summer on Elk Mountain. I didn't bother continuing on to Thurston, but the snow would be patchy at best, if any still existed.

I couldn't find a single patch of snow on the way up to the Elk "summit". I noticed one guy had his shirt off and lying on the meadow to sunbathe.

post #164 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 11:36 AM
Headed for the Mountains

My turn to ask a question: Anyone know what the Elfin Lakes parking lot is like these days? Is it bare, or is it still being plowed?
post #165 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 11:56 AM
High on the Mountain Top

We went to Mt.Rohr yesterday,very beautiful there, we used microspike from the start of the road to the base of the slope just below the Rohr Lake and changed to the snowshoes and use it since then all the way to the mountain and back. snow condition is very good for a summit push, it is even much easier than doing it in the summer season as rocks are covered by snow.

Real success in your life is defined by happiness.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page