BC Recent Conditions Reports - Page 63 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

465Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #931 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2020, 12:56 PM
Scaling New Heights

Default Snowshoeing Brandywine?

Has anyone showshoed Brandywine? How far up the road can you drive I'm wondering?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2020, 12:49 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

14cm new snow on Grouse this morning, snow starts at around 700m elev.
Jaaklucas likes this.
post #933 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2020, 02:05 AM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: keeping our backcountry beautiful.
Default NEW Roe Creek Bridge

Check out the new bridge over, I mean through, Roe Creek. No more wet boots. Hurray!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6154.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	283088  

Name:	IMG_6156.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	283090  

Name:	IMG_6161.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	283092  

martin and sidetrip like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #934 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2020, 09:31 PM
Summit Master

That's great! Not sure of the long term viability but it's a good start!
post #935 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2020, 01:00 PM
Summit Master

Default BCMC Trail on Grouse

Yesterday morning the BCMC trail was bare til almost the top plateau. Today it is still bare til just before halfway, and 5-10cm new to the top. Did not need spikes. I was expecting more snow with that storm yesterday. Cut will be open for skiing to the bottom today.

Name:	cut2020.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	858.3 KB
ID:	283094
Spectrum likes this.
post #936 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2020, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
I was expecting more snow with that storm yesterday.
Attachment 283094

That storm saved its dump for Rockies. Snowshoes are needed to to walk city streets over here
post #937 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2020, 10:13 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Pierce Lake Trail almost Impassable
I've been doing maintenance on this trail for about a year and a half. I had cleared away a lot of downed trees over the summer and fall but not the ones with thicker tree trunks as I only use a small axe and folding saw. I was there last week to check the conditions up to the creek crossing where the old growth forest is as I like photographing the area and I planned to snowshoe up there. Today, I set out for a snowshoe and brought along my saw as it was windy several days ago and there might be a few trees across the trail. I was surprised to see fallen trees not far from the trail sign and it continued here and there. There are sections where two or three trees have fallen together which made it tough getting through especially with the snow. I made it up to the first logging road crossing but the blowdowns continued up to the second road crossing. Further up, there was more trees down and I gave up at that point. When spring and summer arrives, someone needs to go through the area with a chainsaw otherwise the trail will be unusable.
post #938 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2021, 05:31 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

I read on alltrails.com that the Lindeman Lake trail is closed because of a fallen tree that took out the metal bridge over the creek. Also, the Pierce Lake trail is passable to the creek crossing. I worked on the trail over a period of 4 or 5 days spending about 15 hrs clearing up most of the dead-falls so now it's easier to either get though, over or under the fallen trees. The hard packed snow mostly begins at the open rockslide area but this weekend should bring snow lower down.
martin and russellcoffin like this.
post #939 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2021, 04:52 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo75 View Post
Pierce Lake Trail almost Impassable
I've been doing maintenance on this trail for about a year and a half. I had cleared away a lot of downed trees over the summer and fall but not the ones with thicker tree trunks as I only use a small axe and folding saw. I was there last week to check the conditions up to the creek crossing where the old growth forest is as I like photographing the area and I planned to snowshoe up there. Today, I set out for a snowshoe and brought along my saw as it was windy several days ago and there might be a few trees across the trail. I was surprised to see fallen trees not far from the trail sign and it continued here and there. There are sections where two or three trees have fallen together which made it tough getting through especially with the snow. I made it up to the first logging road crossing but the blowdowns continued up to the second road crossing. Further up, there was more trees down and I gave up at that point. When spring and summer arrives, someone needs to go through the area with a chainsaw otherwise the trail will be unusable.
Thanks for the work that you have done on that trail. I was blown away by how good that trail was graded and maintained especially in the steep switchbacks around ~800m elevation. Were the trees you were observing the smaller second growth trees or were there some larger diameter old growth blocking the trail too?
post #940 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2021, 07:14 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellcoffin View Post
Were the trees you were observing the smaller second growth trees or were there some larger diameter old growth blocking the trail too?
They were mostly smaller diameter trees right from the trail start to before the open rockslide area. I was using a compact folding saw and small axe so for some medium sized trees I just made a big notch for foot placement to get over. I noticed that even some smaller diameter trees appear rotten and easily toppled. The old growth forest around the creek looked good. No recent blowdowns. I'm pretty sure there are more downed trees beyond the creek.
russellcoffin likes this.
post #941 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2021, 09:55 PM
Summit Master

Haven't been getting out much, just locally:
BCMC trail is unusually icy near the 900m creek, but above on the plateau it is a nice smooth bobsled track.
Flint trail is icy as well at the first bluffs, snow doesn't really start til higher up.
Skinned up to Strachan chairlift summit on Sunday. Snow at the bottom around 900m elev. is icy, crappy hard skiing up. Use runners and micro spikes. Higher up it's ok, very scenic. We skied down the regular ski runs.

Name:	IMG_055293.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	283626
Spectrum and Mr. B like this.
post #942 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2021, 02:13 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, camping, climbing, snowboarding, Tea

Camped at Widgeon lake last weekend (Feb 20-21, 2021) and parks staff have worked on the trail going to the falls and up towards Widgeon lake. Works stops at Hanging creek bridge. I saw tread prints of a mini excavator. Like to work on the washouts I suspect. They are working on the campground too. Needs it too considering how busy it got this past summer. I saw recent enough tire tracks to think its been a winter project. There's been washouts since their work, but I was able to get my bike through/around them. The bridge at Hanging creek is not long for this world. Its from the old logging era made up of big (1 meter) cedar lashed together with wire job. A few logs have fallen in and there are gaps. This is why website says impassable. Possible to hop rocks if you're daring (lower water) or walk on single log to cross. Can't say for how much longer with spring run-offs soon and a pretty good snow pack.
martin and Spectrum like this.

- Justin

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page