BC Recent Conditions Reports - Page 60 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

447Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #886 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 11:48 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Also I tried to get to clear creek hotsprings today and the road is seriously washed out between 28 and 29km. We saw the closure signage and thought how bad can it be and it is a serious washout I dont think anyone will be getting by for a while. A few quadders said they were going to try it but I didnt stick around to see how they did.

Also on a side note I saw on a local youtubers channel they went up the west side of Harrison and the road is washed out around 60km just a few km passed the burma creek bridge that washed out last year, in the video they pass it but they were driving a runner with 6in of lift on 33's or 35's so a normal 4x4 HC wont make it yet. It looks like the huge rain storms we had the last few weeks sure did a number on the FSR's. I am worried about what else is going to be damaged this year and what other access's will be limited.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200215_105347.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	273320  

sidetrip and russellcoffin like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #887 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 01:18 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Edit: It is the couloir in the shade!
Thanks zeljkok, that made more sense to me too.

Quote:
I can't see whole bunch of photos either. Yet another VS screwup. This is ridiculous
Yes, especially since this Judge TR was, I believe, a late spring ascent with lots of snow still in the couloir. Most attempts on the Judge are in late summer or early autumn, from what I remember. The photos in this TR were unique and was one I had bookmarked for future reference.
post #888 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thhorseman View Post
The photos in this TR were unique and was one I had bookmarked for future reference.

Extremely unique, not just CT but much wider scope. This is probably because of limit they imposed on how many photos there can be in report; so their "AI" simply stripped everything above the limit. Map at the end likely survived because Marek inserted it later.

I sent them message requesting rebuild of the post with all the photos in. But who knows how many other reports built over the years are now lying around crippled just like this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #889 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 03:55 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Good trip up Mount Harvey this past Monday. Lots of action on it - passed a group of 6 on the way up, met another gentleman on the summit, and then passed 4 other on the way down. ~4 hours round trip and was happy to have the trail broken through the fresh 14 inches of snow from a few days prior. Microspikes for the most and switched to crampons & ice axe for the last stretch. IMO this last push is super easy but does have some exposure so to be safe I will always recommend having the proper equipment. Snow started at 750 meters but was light until 1200 meters. Temperature stayed below 0 which made for good conditions.

Name:	IMG_20200217_103707.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	316.7 KB
ID:	273336
Beautiful country

Name:	IMG_20200217_111729.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	273338
Sad to see steps getting too close to the summit cornice. This is what lead to the previous casualties in 2017. Stay away people. Some older steps you can see got even closer to the edge.
martin and Jaaklucas like this.
post #890 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 01:57 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellcoffin View Post
Attachment 273338
Sad to see steps getting too close to the summit cornice. This is what lead to the previous casualties in 2017. Stay away people. Some older steps you can see got even closer to the edge.
Real danger waiting in such beauty. Yea, a whole bunch of them, a local hiking group, loaded up that summit cornice and off they went. Steep drop off on that side. When its sheared off that clean you would think a warning light would go off. The older steps are scary.
russellcoffin likes this.
post #891 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Extremely unique, not just CT but much wider scope. This is probably because of limit they imposed on how many photos there can be in report; so their "AI" simply stripped everything above the limit. Map at the end likely survived because Marek inserted it later.

I sent them message requesting rebuild of the post with all the photos in. But who knows how many other reports built over the years are now lying around crippled just like this one.
I sent a note and request to the CT admin.... not sure if they have responded as yet.

I had some TR's that exceeded photo limits... think I will look back at some of my mine.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #892 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 12:53 AM
Scaling New Heights

anyone know whats the trail condition is like going up Alouette mountain or Evans Peak (both via Evans peak trail), i know beginning will have no snow and microspikes up at a certain level. anyone know when that is?
post #893 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 08:14 PM
Scaling New Heights

Anyone got an update on the Grouse Grind/BCMC? Thanks
post #894 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 08:24 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagBumper View Post
Anyone got an update on the Grouse Grind/BCMC? Thanks
On the Grind snow starts after halfway, good steps in the snow to the top. The railings/ropes at the top on the right are still mostly out of the snow. There are trailwork signs at the bottom so they may be working during the day, but they are not there early in the morning.
I haven't been on BCMC but it's probably a smooth highway on the upper sections.
TheMagBumper likes this.
post #895 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 02:49 PM
Rex
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, scrambling and mountaineering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminihc View Post
anyone know whats the trail condition is like going up Alouette mountain or Evans Peak (both via Evans peak trail), i know beginning will have no snow and microspikes up at a certain level. anyone know when that is?
Was up there on Sunday.
Microspikes/mini-crampons needed from about half way up the steep section from ViewPoint Trail to Evans Lookout.

Snowshoes recommended from Evans/Alouette Fork... and I only got as far as the first 'sister' ridge before you drop down again and then ascend to the peak. The snow was just too much to handle when its at your thighs as you try to climb the slopes there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200307-Alouette-01.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	995.2 KB
ID:	273934  

Name:	20200307-Alouette-02.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	590.9 KB
ID:	273936  

Photos: Flickr
Journal: Livetrails

Nothing worthwhile is easy.

Last edited by Rex; 03-12-2020 at 03:10 PM.
post #896 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 06:26 PM
Scaling New Heights

Default anyone been to elfin lately? busy cabin or...

anyone been to elfin lately? busy cabin or...

conditions I imagine are still snowy...
post #897 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 09:09 PM
Headed for the Mountains

post #898 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2020, 08:17 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
thanks...but still poss for just a day trip...the haven't shut the road/parking lot?
post #899 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2020, 07:12 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, Mountaineering

Parking lot is closed, they put a road block 2.3km from the trailhead
post #900 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2020, 06:37 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Had a rainy hike up the BCMC and down Larsen and various other trails this morning. Only saw 2 people coming down BCMC, pretty quiet at the trailhead. Snow starts around 950m, where I turned around.

Name:	425a.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	458.9 KB
ID:	275160

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page