BC Recent Conditions Reports - Page 56 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #826 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 12:35 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Softball, Poker
Default BCMC conditions

Wondering how much snow is on the BCMC right now, and how compacted any snow is. I'd like to get an idea of how easy it is to follow the trail this week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #827 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 08:40 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Worden View Post
Wondering how much snow is on the BCMC right now, and how compacted any snow is. I'd like to get an idea of how easy it is to follow the trail this week.
Hi Doug,
I went up the BCMC this morning, the snow starts around 2/3 and it was pretty sloppy, a good test for waterproof shoes. By now it will have been packed down and the trail should be very easy to follow, it sees quite a bit of traffic.

Cheers,
Martin
post #828 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 08:09 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Elfin lakes road

Has anyone been up the road to the parking lot for Elfin lakes? How bad is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #829 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:39 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Mt. Sleese trail condition

Has anyone hiked the Mt. Sleese trail recently? I am wondering what the trail conditions are like.
post #830 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:45 PM
Summit Master

Skied Howe Sound Crest from Cypress Ski Hill to Christmas Gully, up Christmas Gully to Strachan. Not really good on skis. The track is melting out fast and is really narrow to ski alternating with skis on/skis off. Skiing down would be fairly desperate. Christmas Gully was still pretty frozen at 1.00 pm after a warm night, we alternated skiing and booting up. Ski crampons would be handy in places but not essential.

Looked horrible to ski the upper half as there is a big trench in the middle from walkers, dogs, snow shoes, sliders and reindeer. The bottom would be OK.

As we were having lunch on Strachan another couple of BC skiers came by took a look at the gully and went back the way they came. Cypress is melting out fast.
WildernessMan likes this.
post #831 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:18 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

I hiked the Campbell Lake Trail at Harrison Hotsprings. The forest floor is littered with wind blown debris; some fallen trees but mostly evergreen boughs that obscure the trail. Someone was overzealous with their use of ribbons at the lower end of the trail even though orange markers are clearly visible and yet far up the mountain there was a lack of orange markers where it was needed the most due to fallen tree trunks and debris that hid the trail. A couple of creeks are running in the forest. The viewpoint which overlooks Harrison Lake has frozen snowpatch and Campbell Lake itself is about 3/4 frozen over still. No biting insects yet. Although this trail is far from scenic, I like the good workout and the absence of crowds.
zeljkok likes this.
post #832 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:25 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Road from Lillooet to Big Bar

We are planning to do some off road traveling north of Lillooet and wondering about the condition of the west side road to Big Bar. Anyone driven it lately? Any washouts?
post #833 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:38 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Pierce Lake Trail, Chilliwack
Patches of snow at the rockslide and some in the forest thereafter. Higher up, there is lots of snow but the temperature was below zero so it was firm but icy in spots. New snow has fallen and it looked like winter heading up to the lower lake. Lake is snow-covered but melting at the very edge. Some deadfalls in the forest but easy to get over.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chilliwack valley april 15 2019_DSC3313.jpgCT.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	486.1 KB
ID:	265744
Lower Pierce Lake
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chilliwack valley april 15 2019_DSC3322.jpgCT.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	744.5 KB
ID:	265746
Old growth
zeljkok, treord8 and leanoliv like this.
post #834 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 02:19 PM
Scaling New Heights

How's the Grouse Grind looking these days?
post #835 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 11:20 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, camping, climbing, snowboarding, Tea

Went up to Mountain Lake hut Easter Long weekend. Road my bike from the top of Furry Creek hill. Washouts have all been fixed and looks to be some active logging going on up there so be aware. Trail up is character building due to snow levels and warming conditions. Looks like it was brushed out last season going up the switchbacks gaining elevation but still tricky with creek crossings and dodging brush.

- Justin
post #836 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 08:59 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagBumper View Post
How's the Grouse Grind looking these days?
It has been clear for a while but there is construction so go early and be off the trail by 7:30 or 8 so as not to interfere with the workers.
post #837 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:06 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
It has been clear for a while but there is construction so go early and be off the trail by 7:30 or 8 so as not to interfere with the workers.
Thanks Martin. So it's completely snow free for a while already?!

I was planning to get the first gondola down but if I'm going to be annoying people being on the trail at all then I can just take the BCMC instead. Are there signs up saying the Grind is closed?
post #838 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 11:52 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagBumper View Post
Thanks Martin. So it's completely snow free for a while already?!

I was planning to get the first gondola down but if I'm going to be annoying people being on the trail at all then I can just take the BCMC instead. Are there signs up saying the Grind is closed?
Yes, lots of signs saying that it's closed, but there are people going up early. (The GVRD signs don't carry much weight because they are frequently wrong/out of date). If you aim for the 7:30 tram it should be OK. Any later then take the BCMC because it's a big fiasco when the hikers hike through the active work area.
TheMagBumper likes this.
post #839 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 12:17 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I am thinking about doing an overnight at Taylor campground in Garibaldi park in roughly 2 weeks time. Will be taking the trail from Rubble creek. Curious as to where the snow starts on the trail and if I need spikes?
Thanks in Advance
post #840 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 12:24 AM
Summit Master

We were just up at Elfin climbing Garibaldi.

Snowline is currently around 1200 metres which is high for this time of year. Probably need spikes. Snow was freezing hard overnight, however starting to really break down on sunny aspects in the afternoon.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page