BC Recent Conditions Reports - Page 55 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #811 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 01:30 AM
Hittin' the Trails

August 04, 2018: My friend and I went to the base of Copilot via Evac and regular Sky Pilot trail to the tongue of the Stadium Glacier. He wanted to check out couple "caves" that he noticed on Copilot 2 years ago. Despite some reports indicating loose scree being involved in getting to the base of Copilot, we worked out the ledges across from the col (where the glacier starts) and we were on solid ground almost all the time. At the last opportunity we traversed on snow to the base of Copilot. One of the caves (in reality a chock stone is still there (far right climbers side) but the left one is gone and suspect erosion as the main cause. Below couple pictures showing the differences (need to zoom into the most recent one) and a link to some snaps I took. Credit to my friend for the 2 pictures attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04230.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	960.8 KB
ID:	261544  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07510.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	938.4 KB
ID:	261546  

Last edited by GabrielM; 08-13-2018 at 01:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 01:38 AM
Hittin' the Trails

August 06, 2018: MacDonald Peak and Mount Webb via Radium Lake. A bit muddy below Radium Lake but that is expected. The rain couple nights before helped a fair bit on the way up to the col between MacDonald and Webb as the terrain was grippy as opposed to regular loose dirt. The three patches of snow on MacDonald are still there (as clearly seen on the first picture). First one easy-peasy, second one I went straight up to the notch but not very pleasant in trail running shoes (snow was hard packed and had to kick steps quite vigorous). On the way down I detoured on skiers left and bypassed entirely the second snow patch. The third one required again a fair bit of kicking steps but more manageable. Nothing special to report about Webb. Some pictures in this link.
treord8 likes this.

Last edited by GabrielM; 08-13-2018 at 01:44 AM.
post #813 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 01:43 AM
Hittin' the Trails

August 10, 2018: Mount MacFarlane via Pierce Lake. Quite impressed with the quality of the trail and how well is marked. Smooth sailing to the summit and back. I might have run into a bear on my way up (there was a bit of bushes moving). I gave it some time to calm and went by without issues after whatever it was moved down the hill. A bit hazy and dusty as the pictures from this link show.
treord8 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #814 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 02:14 PM
Banned

I love this thread, good info
post #815 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 11:05 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Any current info as to whether the Lillooet South FSR is open or gated closed at the 2 km mark? Would like to get to the Harrison Hut for a trip next weekend. Would greatly appreciate any current info, and the Squamish Forest District phone #s are not helpful, they go straight to a Verizon error message.
post #816 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 02:41 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Anyone been up the Relay Creek FSR in the South Chilcotins to the Relay Creek trailhead this season? Planning to head up next week for 5 days. I've been in there 2 years ago with no issues, just wondering if anything has changed. Thanks,
post #817 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 04:34 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Report on Bivouac says road badly sluffing away at 8-10 km mark, probably only Dirtbikes/ATV's getting past
post #818 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 03:58 PM
Banned

This is a good idea
post #819 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 01:27 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Got back from Relay Creek last weekend and thought I'd give an update on the access road. We were in an older Toyota Tacoma and made it to the trailhead with no issues. There are a number of off-camber sections with some steep exposure about 3/4 of the way but it was more of a courage calculation than a capability one and they were no problem. About 6km from the trailhead there is a steep, rough hill with an off-camber section that is fine going in but coming out takes some doing and I wouldn't do it without a full HC 4x4. There were about 7 trucks at the trailhead on our way out (all HC full 4x4) so it is done regularly. I have a Subaru Forester that I would have had no problem getting to the top of that hill then I would have walked the last 6km. There were multiple vehicles parked along the side of the road before some of the mentioned sections though so exercise your own discretion.
post #820 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 02:17 PM
vdg
Headed for the Mountains

Default Darling lake -Manic peak conditions

The bridge over the creek is decommissioned as everyone knows and it was VERY slick to be used, so we had to ford the river right next to the fallen log. Cold but doable, bring sandals/water shoes.

The trail up to the ridge is steep but some kind soul has put enough markers to follow a nice line to the top: steep but very soft on your knees

From the ridge, we too nice bee line to Manic Peak, without dropping to Darling lake, and it was a very nice ridge hike, with only the last portion being a bit slippery due to fresh snow.
Amazing views from the top: 4.30h time to the top.
post #821 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 12:02 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

This morning I went to hike up the BCMC trail and the normally dry creekbed that you cross at the bottom must have been a raging torrent last night because there is about a 5 foot drop down to the creekbed! Too dark to take pictures.
post #822 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 07:08 PM
Headed for the Mountains

does anyone know whether the Fraser Valley peaks (especially Webb and MacDonald in Chilliwack Lake Prov Park) have snow up top?
post #823 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 08:48 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Traveling, Kayaking, Hiking, Biking

Yes
Dac-van likes this.
post #824 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 02:40 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Snowline's around 1200 m in the eastern valley today and may drop with precip tonight

http://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwayca...tml/www/2.html

and you can see the Flora snowline in this one http://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwayca...l/www/468.html
Dac-van likes this.

Last edited by Dru; 11-08-2018 at 02:41 PM. Reason: EDIT: added a cam
post #825 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 12:23 PM
vdg
Headed for the Mountains

Default Mt Laughington - Oct 17 2018

Bring snowshoes: we didn't and had a bit of tough time potholing along the ridge line. Still made it to the peak in 2.5h but drove all the way to the alder tunnel area.

The road is as bad as it gets with a portion of a river running through it at one point..lol

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page