BC Recent Conditions Reports - Page 53 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

479Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #781 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 04:21 PM
Hittin' the Trails

June 16, 2018: Hat Mountain via West Ridge. Snow starts around 1,300 m, soft most of the way up. Started from Lions Bay and took a detour on Hat Pass trail (missed the turnoff for West Ridge). All went well up to 1,500 m where markers gone rogue and decided to turn around and take the West Ridge up, as planned. Return via Fat Ass Peak, Howe Sound Crest Trail and Brunswick Mountain Trail. Still lots of soft snow from the summit of Hat Mountain to Brunswick Mountain Trail.

A bit old (conditions likely changed significantly since):

June 02, 2018: Brunswick Mountain. Hard packed snow started just below the intersection with Howe Sound Crest Trail. I had an ice axe handy just in case, no need for micro-spikes or crampons. Summit section is dry.

May 27, 2018: Sky Pilot from Shannon Falls via Evac. Snow starts half way through Sky Pilot Trail covering alders ready to snap at any moment. Hard packed snow in the forest, the gully at the end of marked trail was a better option although littered in avalanche debris (this is how I came down). Good snow conditions up the gully and Stadium Glacier. The only concern was in the bowl (bottom of the gully) where there was a single solid snow bridge, the rest looked not much different than crevasses (deep cuts, blue at the bottom). Ridge was covered in snow up to Pink Slabs, some transitions to rocks tricky (moats not holding well the weight). Pink Slab was nice and dry. Couple more sections of snow to traverse above the Pink Slabs and below the first chimney. Cruising up to the top on nice and dry rock. Snow crampons and ice axe on the way up and down the gully and glacier. For good measure kept the gear on my way down in the forest and up to the end of marked trail.

May 21, 2018: Panorama Ridge from Rubble Creek and Taylor Meadows. Snow starts below the junction with Garibaldi Lake (note that bridge to the Lake is out of commission and the access is via Taylor Meadows). Soft snow on Taylor Meadows and up Panorama Ridge. From Cinder Flats we took a fairly direct route up the Ridge rather than conventional summer trail. Care around rocks, especially in the afternoon when snow is soft.

May 13, 2018: Mount Harvey from Lions Bay. Snow starts around 1,100 m, hard packed in the forest, soft once you emerge on the ridge. Give cornices a wide berth on the right. Some of the ridge sections to the summit are nice and dry.

Given the spell of good weather I'm planning to scoot out tomorrow (Monday, June 18) or on Tuesday, June 19. Options I'm considering: Black Tusk, West Lions, North (or South) Twin Sister (south of the border). If there is any interest to join, please PM me.
zeljkok and treord8 like this.

Last edited by GabrielM; 06-17-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 02:26 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: photography, craft beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrielM View Post
June 16, 2018:

Given the spell of good weather I'm planning to scoot out tomorrow (Monday, June 18) or on Tuesday, June 19. Options I'm considering: Black Tusk, West Lions, North (or South) Twin Sister (south of the border). If there is any interest to join, please PM me.

I'm heading up to "hopefully" do the Tusk this upcoming weekend. If you decide to head out that way I would love to know what the conditions across the meadows is like and if you were able to climb the Tusk.

Also would be curious how much ice is still on Garibaldi Lake.
post #783 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 12:54 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Brew Lake area is still pretty snowy. The lake is just starting to melt out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brewlake.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	256801  

treord8 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 04:17 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Was up at Sky Pilot on Saturday. Snow just where the trail crosses the main creek, before you get into the steep switchback in the trees which is bare for the most part. The rest of the route is covered in snow pretty much right up to the pink slab. Good travel from there.

Forgot to post images from Cerise Creek recently. Snow line is around the talus field, so pretty high up. Travel to the hut isn't bad. All the firewood is nearly gone. It looks like there has been many bonfires, with evidence of large blocks of wood being used as fire platforms, and plenty of half burnt logs. I doubt the people doing this come to this site, but this is an atrocious waste of firewood. Considering this has to be flown in it looks like about $600 of firewood was burned off. If you see people starting bonfires up there feel free to ask them to stop. The Keith Flavelle Hut Society is definitely not happy with this misuse of resources.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6142.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	911.8 KB
ID:	256809  

Name:	IMG_6095.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	905.2 KB
ID:	256817  

Name:	IMG_6109.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	530.2 KB
ID:	256825  

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6090.jpg (1.08 MB, 21 views)
ashi and treord8 like this.
post #785 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 09:10 PM
Hittin' the Trails

June 19, 2018: Black Tusk from Rubble Creek parking lot via Taylor Meadows. Only one tree still blocking the trail (about 1 km out). Summer conditions up the Garibaldi Lake junction (the trail to the lake is closed and the access is via Taylor Meadows). Patchy snow from the junction to Taylor Meadows. Caution about post-holing. Consistent soft packed snow from Taylor Meadows, occasionally you have the trail clear. I followed some tracks on my way up (a bit left to the summer trail) and cut across about the viewpoint area to join the regular trail. Soft snow up to col below summit. Chimneys are nice and dry (took one on my way up and a different one on my way down). Downhill on snow was relatively fast (followed more or less the summer trail).

Pictures here
post #786 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 06:49 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Exploring, hiking, scrambling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_bird View Post
Forgot to post images from Cerise Creek recently. Snow line is around the talus field, so pretty high up. Travel to the hut isn't bad. All the firewood is nearly gone. It looks like there has been many bonfires, with evidence of large blocks of wood being used as fire platforms, and plenty of half burnt logs. I doubt the people doing this come to this site, but this is an atrocious waste of firewood. Considering this has to be flown in it looks like about $600 of firewood was burned off. If you see people starting bonfires up there feel free to ask them to stop. The Keith Flavelle Hut Society is definitely not happy with this misuse of resources.
@Blue_bird, this looks familiar. BCMC course? Too bad about the firewood.
post #787 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 07:24 PM
Headed for the Mountains

For those interested I just contacted the Manning Park visitor center to ask how much snow is left on the heather trail. They let me know that the gate to Alpine Meadows is still closed due to snow and that there is still lots of snow up on Heather Trail.

Time to make new plans this weekend
leanoliv likes this.

The best signature ever
post #788 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 09:01 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinabc123 View Post
For those interested I just contacted the Manning Park visitor center to ask how much snow is left on the heather trail. They let me know that the gate to Alpine Meadows is still closed due to snow and that there is still lots of snow up on Heather Trail.

Time to make new plans this weekend
I did a day hike to Buckhorn camp a few days ago. The road is gated at the Dry Ridge parking area. The walk to Buckhorn doesn't take long. The snow on the road starts before the lower parking area. There was lots of snow on the way to the camp but all the tent pads were free of snow. With the heat spell, I'm sure a lot of snow has melted.
post #789 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 05:28 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Can anyone help me with the conditions to Mount McGuire in Chilliwack? From what I have read the forest service road has been deactivated and damaged due to washout conditions, and you have to start the hike basically from Chilliwack Lake Road. I have never hiked this before so I'm looking to get as much information as I can prior to tackling this trip. Thanks!

Chris S.
Organizer
The Outdoor AND Culture Club Meetup
post #790 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 06:44 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Elfin Lake Conditions

Looking for the current conditions of the Elfin Lake trail and campsite!

Thank you!
post #791 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 10:58 PM
Hittin' the Trails

June 24, 2018: West Lions from Lions Bay via Binkert Trail Return to Cypress via HSCT. The snow starts just above the tree line once you get into alpine. It is mostly hard packed and crusty in places. Crampons and ice axe would make travel faster. I only had micro spikes. Sufficient for the way up, but inefficient as I had to kick steps vigorously. Ridge once you meet HSCT is mostly covered in snow, much softer though. Scramble is nice and dry. Considering the gear I had (or lack thereof) I decided to return to Cypress. That west face of Lions might get softer in the afternoon but didn't have time to wait to find out if that was the case A fair bit of snow but much softer over Unnecessary and up to St Mark's Summit. Care to be taken with post holing. Trail got fairly busy after St Mark's Summit and down to Cypress. Bugs seem to love that area too.

Few pictures here.
penguinabc123 and treord8 like this.
post #792 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 02:23 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking (obviously), snowshoeing, backpacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
Can anyone help me with the conditions to Mount McGuire in Chilliwack? From what I have read the forest service road has been deactivated and damaged due to washout conditions, and you have to start the hike basically from Chilliwack Lake Road. I have never hiked this before so I'm looking to get as much information as I can prior to tackling this trip. Thanks!
Main access that people use now is the Tamihi FSR. I believe the "trail"/route is less defined until you get to the old trail just before the summit, but starting to get used more in last couple years. Here's a couple good trip reports from last couple years:

https://forums.clubtread.com/27-briti...6-04-16-a.html

https://forums.clubtread.com/27-briti...11-2016-a.html

Haven't seen any info on the road this year yet, so maybe somebody that's been up there has some info for you.

Wilderness is not a luxury but necessity of the human spirit.
post #793 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 03:11 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Ossa- Sigurd

Hi there
Does anyone know what the conditions are like on the Sigurd Valley Trail heading up towards Ossa moraine camp? Specifically where there's snow and if the BCMC creek crossing is still intact.

Thank you!
post #794 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 05:27 PM
Scaling New Heights

Default mt marriott

anyone been up to the wendy thompson / mt marriott area recently? i'm wondering just how much snow is still there, and if the cabin area is snow free?
post #795 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 01:43 AM
Hittin' the Trails

July 02, 2018: Mount Brunswick is snow free. Summit rocks were dry, forest was a tad muddy (expected with the rain we've got recently). Trail is a bit overgrown in places. Couple photos here - the latter one should give you an idea what to expect in Brunswick Lake area.
leanoliv likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page