BC Recent Conditions Reports - Page 52 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

451Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #766 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 01:19 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashi View Post
Hey Andrew, the alpine road is opening for the first time this weekend only to the Cascades lookout, not to the Heather trailhead yet. There's still probably a few meters of snow up top.
oh wow, alright thats good to know, time for a new plan lol. Thanks for the update!!!

The best signature ever
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #767 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 02:48 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Did the Markhor to Needle traverse on Sunday with Marduk. Firm snow, no crampons needed. Ice axe vaguely useful once or twice but not mandatory. Cruxes all dry. Removed several pounds of useless flagging tape from trees along both this route and the hiking trail up Needle.

Protip: you don't need flagging tape to route find on a ridge. Just follow the ridge.

TimeToGoHiking likes this.
post #768 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 08:04 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayriley View Post
Hi dogue

Thanks for the update. Now for some questions:
Alder Creek: where is this? Do you access this from the West Canyon?
Hiker's Beach from East Canyon: do you mean Viewpoint or the little area across Gold Creek from Viewpoint?
Trail from Upper Falls to Lower Falls: is there actually a trail from the upper to the lower or do you mean the trail off east canyon trail to the lower falls? If there is a trail from upper to lower i'd sure like to access it.
Thanks!

Here's a map of the area in question, you can see the ford over Alder Creek. Hiker's beach is on the opposite of viewpoint. It also has the trail to the Upper Falls, but don't go there unless you really know what you're doing. People have a habit of slipping into the water and going over the falls, especially this time of year.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/49.3626/-122.4566
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #769 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 03:24 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Hi dogue

Thanks for the update. Now for some questions:
Alder Creek: where is this? Do you access this from the West Canyon?
Hiker's Beach from East Canyon: do you mean Viewpoint or the little area across Gold Creek from Viewpoint?
Trail from Upper Falls to Lower Falls: is there actually a trail from the upper to the lower or do you mean the trail off east canyon trail to the lower falls? If there is a trail from upper to lower i'd sure like to access it.
Thanks!
I'm not sure how many of these names are official, but they do seem to be commonly used in Trip Reports.

Hikers' Beach and Viewpoint Beach are at the same location, and might be considered the same beach. I think the names have been used interchangeably in the past, but maybe it makes now to use Viewpoint Beach for the east side and Hikers' Beach for the west side.

Alder Creek is the creek that runs under the new boardwalks up near Alder Flats, and is also the creek that must be forded to access Hikers' Beach from the West Canyon side. I've traced it in blue on the attached map (ignore the faint grey lines from Google Maps and its woefully inaccurate idea of where the canyon connector trail goes)

There is no official trail from Lower Falls to Upper/Burke Falls, but one used to exist and was well marked until BC Parks took down all the flagging ribbon. It's shown as the light pink trail on my map, but I do want to caution: The trail is not marked and follows steep terrain above a canyon with waterfalls below.

Name:  Screenshot from 2018-05-28 23-11-22.png
Views: 560
Size:  774.3 KB

Golden Ears Explorer
post #770 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 11:48 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks dpogue for your very clear map and write up. In all the years I've been hiking up in Golden Ears I've never done the one crossing Alder Creek to Hikers Beach. I think as a kid many years ago I did hike from lower falls at least part of the way to the upper and recall it was a steep ledgey sort of terrain. I enjoy the trail from the east canyon to the upper falls but think I will pass on the upper to lower one, sounds sketchy and, being a klutz anyway, I probably would fall off! The upper falls canyon is sure beautiful though.

Trick's map posted above is interesting too. (Thanks Trick!). It shows another route from Hikers Beach to Golden Ears, eventually joining up with the route from Alder flats campground. Are you familiar with this one?
post #771 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 12:00 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Does anyone know the conditions of Seymour right now? Wondering about past Brockton point. Wanting to know if I’ll be able to camp up there before July.
post #772 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 01:41 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Trick's map posted above is interesting too. (Thanks Trick!). It shows another route from Hikers Beach to Golden Ears, eventually joining up with the route from Alder flats campground. Are you familiar with this one?
This could probably branch off to it's own thread, but that's the old route up to Golden Ears following an overgrown logging road. In the 70s and 80s you'd go up East Canyon, cross the wire burma bridge, and then follow that roadbed up to Alder Flats and beyond. Just past Alder Flats when you start going up the steeper rocky section, there used to be a hand-made sign pointing down the old logging road that said "Descent into Madness -- Gold Creek 2km-ish?".
Following it down from Alder Flats is somewhere on my todo list

Golden Ears Explorer
post #773 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpogue View Post
Just past Alder Flats when you start going up the steeper rocky section, there used to be a hand-made sign pointing down the old logging road that said "Descent into Madness -- Gold Creek 2km-ish?".
post #774 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 01:59 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Went up to Allouette on the weekend. Still a lot of snow compared with 2 years ago when I was there last. Snow patches start shortly after the turnoff to Evans Peak. I'd say 90% of the trail past the turnoff is still covered in snow.
post #775 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 11:53 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Default Poland Lake

Hey All

We are considering a hike to Poland lake this weekend. I was wondering if anyone one has recent info on trail conditions? Thinking there may be snow on the trail at some point.

Thanks in advance
post #776 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 03:17 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Hey All

We are considering a hike to Poland lake this weekend. I was wondering if anyone one has recent info on trail conditions? Thinking there may be snow on the trail at some point.

Thanks in advance

http://bcrfc.env.gov.bc.ca/data/asp/...asp_2G03P.html

This says still snow
post #777 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 04:53 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
Was looking for a trail report of sorts. Figured there was some snow. But wanted an idea where on the trail.
post #778 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 06:01 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
I was up there 3 weeks ago sign is not there
post #779 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 12:33 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Aw, too bad. A bit of history gone forever! Maybe it's tucked away in the overgrowth. How was the old trail?
post #780 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 09:51 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Black Mountain Trail Conditions

Hiya,

I was up on Cypress Bowl a week or so ago and met with wet snow. Fairly unpleasant for hiking.

I would like to complete the Baden Powell project in the coming week before I leave the country by hiking from Horseshoe Bay to Cypress Bowl via Black Mountain. Anyone with updated trail conditions will be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page