BC Recent Conditions Reports - Page 51 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

448Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #751 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 08:08 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Anyone been out around the crooked falls area? Wondering what the snow pack is like out there, thinking about hiking to the falls this weekend.
CEB likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 04:58 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Thinking about doing my annual jaunt to the Elfin Lakes this weekend. Any recent reports on the road to the parking lot? It's all clear, I hope?
post #753 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 12:17 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, Fishing, Camping

Does anyone know the conditions up at Alder Flats in Golden Ears this time of year? Should I expect snow? I'm hoping to head up on the 23rd/24th of April. Any info is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #754 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 12:31 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I was up at Evans Creek 3 days ago and met a fellow who had just come down from the flats. Said there was snow there starting about 6 inches up to a foot as he went up a bit past the flats. Said he saw some tracks continuing on as well. Mentioned microspikes might come in handy.
post #755 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 09:18 PM
Banner Photographer

Interest: hikingmountain bikingphotographyanything outdoors

I went up Evans Peak today (Apr. 27) Snow starts around 800m (between lookout and Alouette/Evans junction). Put on gaiters around 900m. Snow was mostly firm and supportive (can kick steps in) until the top of Evans which had several feet of soft, wet snow. There were some bare sections of trail on the steep, roped areas just before the summit, but some sketchy terrain where snow is melting out around logs, creeks and trees so take it slow. On my way down I passed a group that turned around as they weren't prepared for snow and another group much lower down that were very surprised when I told them they still had about 1.5 hours to reach Evans Peak and that there was lots of snow.
post #756 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 12:59 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Grouse Grind is pretty well clear of snow, despite the month-old picture that @MetroVancouver is tweeting. There were several people enjoying the trail.
Picture they are tweeting:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-04-28 09.00.41.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	604.7 KB
ID:	250689
Picture from today 2018-04-28:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-04-28 08.50.57.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	945.3 KB
ID:	250705
TheMagBumper likes this.
post #757 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 06:48 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Nesakwatch Creek road is washed out about 2 km before Slesse Memorial trailhead.

Trail is in good shape to Memorial. Snow starts at Memorial. Still lots of snow above that. Firm enough to not need snowshoes.
treord8 likes this.
post #758 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 02:46 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Road conditions for the Wendy Thompson Hut

Has anyone recently traveled in that area? I only have a 2WD. Would that suffice? Thank you
post #759 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 01:02 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese_is_good View Post
Has anyone recently traveled in that area? I only have a 2WD. Would that suffice? Thank you
Parking at the hwy will only add 1 to 1.5 km flat walking to your day (each way), IIRC...
post #760 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 11:03 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Was just at Golden Ears today doing the canyon loop across the bridge, so here's a current conditions report:

West Canyon trail is in good condition at least as far as where it branches to head to Alder Flats or the bridge. Alder Creek is running pretty fast and high right now, so fording to reach Hikers' Beach from the west is probably a bad plan.

East Canyon is in good condition up to Hikers' Beach around 4.5km, but officially unmaintained beyond that. When I was up there in early April it wasn't too bad up until around the 6.5km mark (Thistle beach?) where it was basically impassable due to water in the creekbed.

The connector from East Canyon to Upper/Burke Falls is a bit leafy, but passable. The trail from Upper Falls down to Lower Falls is fine if you know the way, but it's not very clearly marked ever since BC Parks took down all the flagging ribbon a few years back.

The last little bit of Menzies Trail leading from West Canyon water tank down to the car bridge over Gold Creek is definitely leafy, and doesn't see as much traffic as the rest of the trails.

Golden Ears Explorer
post #761 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 03:44 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Elfin Lakes/Joffree Lakes update?

Any update on trail condition? Doable in microspikes? I don't have snowshoe but have microspikes. I wouldn't mind some snows on the trail but not too risky with microspikes.
post #762 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 08:48 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Cheakamus Lake Rd is fully open (potholes), big tree across the trail just before the Helm Creek t/o....
post #763 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 01:34 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ian View Post
Cheakamus Lake Rd is fully open (potholes), big tree across the trail just before the Helm Creek t/o....
did you make it onto the trail, how was that in terms of snow coverage?

Also if anyone has an update on Manning park, specifically Heather trail to Nicomen lake, I would really appreciate any info on the snow levels. Thanks!! The Web cams for the areas make things seem ok, however the bcparks page sounds like there is still snow in lightning lakes area which could be problematic.

The best signature ever

Last edited by penguinabc123; 05-25-2018 at 01:36 AM.
post #764 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 02:34 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Exploring, hiking, scrambling

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinabc123 View Post
Also if anyone has an update on Manning park, specifically Heather trail to Nicomen lake, I would really appreciate any info on the snow levels. Thanks!! The Web cams for the areas make things seem ok, however the bcparks page sounds like there is still snow in lightning lakes area which could be problematic.
Hey Andrew, the alpine road is opening for the first time this weekend only to the Cascades lookout, not to the Heather trailhead yet. There's still probably a few meters of snow up top.
post #765 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 11:44 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpogue View Post
Was just at Golden Ears today doing the canyon loop across the bridge, so here's a current conditions report:

West Canyon trail is in good condition at least as far as where it branches to head to Alder Flats or the bridge. Alder Creek is running pretty fast and high right now, so fording to reach Hikers' Beach from the west is probably a bad plan.

East Canyon is in good condition up to Hikers' Beach around 4.5km, but officially unmaintained beyond that. When I was up there in early April it wasn't too bad up until around the 6.5km mark (Thistle beach?) where it was basically impassable due to water in the creekbed.

The connector from East Canyon to Upper/Burke Falls is a bit leafy, but passable. The trail from Upper Falls down to Lower Falls is fine if you know the way, but it's not very clearly marked ever since BC Parks took down all the flagging ribbon a few years back.

The last little bit of Menzies Trail leading from West Canyon water tank down to the car bridge over Gold Creek is definitely leafy, and doesn't see as much traffic as the rest of the trails.
Hi dogue

Thanks for the update. Now for some questions:
Alder Creek: where is this? Do you access this from the West Canyon?
Hiker's Beach from East Canyon: do you mean Viewpoint or the little area across Gold Creek from Viewpoint?
Trail from Upper Falls to Lower Falls: is there actually a trail from the upper to the lower or do you mean the trail off east canyon trail to the lower falls? If there is a trail from upper to lower i'd sure like to access it.
Thanks!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page