BC Recent Conditions Reports - Page 49 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

448Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #721 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 02:10 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Exploring BC ... preferably self propelled, self supported with free heels and a free spirit
Default Nesakwatch / Rexford (Aug 15/16, 2017)

• Road is in rough 2WD shape... straightforward in a 4WD. Looked like a lifted Suby Forester at the Rexford parking area.
  • Still lots of snow immediately below the bivy rock. Should last another week, probably two.
  • Trail is quite dusty. Still steep as ever.
  • I think we saw two bugs in two days. Eerie how bug-free it is in the alpine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 02:27 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Exploring BC ... preferably self propelled, self supported with free heels and a free spirit
Default Fluffy Kitten Wall / Tiggers (Aug 17th, 2017)

• Road is in decent shape. A bit rough in the last section, but lots of 4WD vehicles heading thru the area.
  • Forest floor seemed a bit damp hiking up... and so were the first two pitches of Tiggers. Cracks had some moisture to them, but they weren't wringing wet.
  • It's possible to descend the route in 3 raps using twin 70m ropes (we had 7.8mm skinnies). It's a bit of a rope stretcher to get to the Scratching Post ledge, and the last rap leaves you with 10m of 4th class downclimbing to get to Tigger Ledge proper. Long clean rap lines (chains recently installed) mean you can be down in just over 30mins!!!
post #723 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 11:58 PM
Headed for the Mountains

lardehtac (TM clubtread) trail is getting very bushy and hard to follow for the first third up from col. Otherwise fine and in good shape.
guntis likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #724 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 02:17 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwwmbm View Post
If it's in "regular" condition then it must have been very well fixed up, because prior to that roadwork it was much worse than the "regular" (by regular I mean what I saw in the last three years). No way a 2wd would have made it up there a month ago.

Thanks! It means now I can go
I saw a Chevy Cavalier up at the Cheam trailhead today! Must've been airlifted in.
post #725 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 03:58 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Anything outside...

Has anyone been up Tricouni North Ridge this summer? How is the moat looking? How is the descent?

Thanks!
post #726 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 11:17 AM
Headed for the Mountains

does anyone know the current condition in coquihalla area? After Monday's snow, not sure if those slabs are free of snow or water now.
Thinking to do Markhor-needle traverse this weekend.

Thanks,
Jeff
post #727 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 01:39 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Similar question to Jeff's.... can anyone report on snow levels? I'm thinking specifically of the Shulaps, but anywhere relatively near there would be helpful.
post #728 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 02:00 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

There's no snow at Coq Pass at highway level. It dumped down two days ago (as low as 1200 m in some places near Hope) but has since mostly melted and should be gone save isolated patches by the w/e.
post #729 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 02:01 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

You can actually see almost to the summit of Markhor on this webcam
http://www.drivebc.ca/mobile/pub/webcams/id/686.html
post #730 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 10:25 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks Dru.

The trip went well. From Markhor all the way to the base of Needle north ridge it's snow free. there are some new snow patches here and there on north ridge but doesn't make much trouble for us to summit.
Dru likes this.
post #731 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 01:11 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Err, need you ask? Hiking :-)

On Sunday we planned to scope out Valentine Lake, but the trail is closed due to ongoing logging. Spetch Creek FSR is in reasonable shape at least up to the 5 km point where we met a group on their way back down with the news. No waterbars and we had no issues getting up there with our CR-V. I noticed that the sign for the FSR that's visible on Google street view has disappeared...

Went up to Blowdown Pass instead. Blowdown FSR is pretty good - a bit wet and slick in places, and there are 30-odd little waterbars between the Duffey Lake road and the usual parking area at 10.5-ish km. What was the start of the trail is now a big wide logging road - we could have driven up there through another handful of waterbars to save ourselves 600 m of walking. Watch for where the trail (old road) goes off left - others have built a couple of cairns and made an arrow out of alder branches to make it more obvious.

Snow began around 1800 m and was more or less continuous by the time we reached the junction where the road splits, but it was only a couple of inches deep. Easily brushed off a rock for a lunch spot :-)
treord8 likes this.
post #732 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 07:19 PM
Ryl
Headed for the Mountains

Inch or so of patchy crust on the Elfin Lakes trail, starts about 20 minutes past Red Heather, alpine snow levels looked contiguous at around 2000m as far as the eye could see. That road is in *way* worse shape than the Mamquam. IMO, the drivers of the four Modo sedans I saw up there are lunatics.
ecarter1 likes this.

_
post #733 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 11:12 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Was up Crickmer this weekend. Patchy snow even beside the main FSR, starts in earnest where the road more or less stop looking like a road (about half a km before the bridge and slot canyon). Little washout right before the bridge, but easy route around. Lots of alder and scrub along the road from there - was mostly flattened by the snow and ice, but would be a bit thick in the summer I think. About a foot of snow where you turn off the road into the cutblock, and increased fast from there. Drifting a bit along the ridge anywhere from half a meter to a meter in the hollows.

Someone was out with some machinery brushing out the road from the bottom pretty much all the way up to where it's not really road any more. Some culverts still need replacing, and some bigger holes fixed up, but looks like maybe they will be logging in there somewhere again sooner rather than later?
sidetrip and treord8 like this.
post #734 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 12:02 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

The BCMC trail is in great shape. Snow all the way from the bottom smoothing out some of the ugliness down low and making for nice steps higher up. I didn't use spikes this morning. Put that Christmas shopping off another day and head up there! And thanks to Metro Vancouver for leaving the gate open!
post #735 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
The BCMC trail is in great shape. Snow all the way from the bottom smoothing out some of the ugliness down low and making for nice steps higher up. I didn't use spikes this morning. Put that Christmas shopping off another day and head up there! And thanks to Metro Vancouver for leaving the gate open!
Snow from the bottom?? So the snowline is really low this year?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page