User Tag List

448Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #706 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 06:25 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Anything outside...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecarter1 View Post
2wd access to Sigurd Trail - easy peasy.

The next bridge crossing Ashlu Cr however is out and the road not drivable beyond that.
Awesome - so I assume Mt Ashlu is not accessible then?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #707 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 08:10 PM
Hittin' the Trails

FYI Mt Cheam road is in worse condition that it was last few years. I consistently made it up every year last 3 years in my 2004 Forester albeit with some bottoming out here and there. Couldn't make it past 1/4 point this year Right where I turned around there were 4 cars parked (including an F150), so I suppose I'm not the only one who couldn't negotiate that piece.

I guess Cheam hike is out for me until I get a more offroad vehicle.
post #708 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 11:19 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by stever View Post
Awesome - so I assume Mt Ashlu is not accessible then?
Well, it's still there. You definitely cannot park at the trailhead any longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #709 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 11:54 AM
vdg
Headed for the Mountains

Default Williamson Lake update

The FSR is really nasty overgrown so if you care about the paint on your car do not go there, but other than that a normal 4x4 should be able to make it with no problems.

The first portion of the trail might be hard to see but look for some flag tape and you should find the proper track. Crazy display of wildflowers right now
post #710 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 12:44 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwwmbm View Post
FYI Mt Cheam road is in worse condition that it was last few years. I consistently made it up every year last 3 years in my 2004 Forester albeit with some bottoming out here and there. Couldn't make it past 1/4 point this year Right where I turned around there were 4 cars parked (including an F150), so I suppose I'm not the only one who couldn't negotiate that piece.

I guess Cheam hike is out for me until I get a more offroad vehicle.
Sounds like they plan to fix it up on Saturday.
Fraser Valley Regional District

2 mins

NO ACCESS TO CHEAM PEAK THIS THURSDAY - The Ministry of Forests, Lakes and Natural Resource Operations will be closing Chipmunk Creek Forest Service Road (leading to the Mt. Cheam trail) this Thursday, starting at 4 am to complete road work. It is expected that the damaged sections of road will be repaired by 2 pm. There will be no public access to Cheam Peak during this time. Please note that there will be no parking permitted within 200 metres of the work site.
post #711 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 07:30 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Skyline II from Skagit Valley Update (July 27, 2017)

The road is in pretty good shape with no major potholes but washboard sections especially in the Skagit Valley Prov. Park area.
The trail is in good shape with a few blowdowns. There are a couple of creeks lower down the mountain which are flowing but from mid-point up to the ridge top it is dry. The wildflower are still in bloom but the spreading phlox has all be shriveled up. There aren't too many mosquitoes but there are lots of biting flies which are immune to insect repellents.
.Click image for larger version

Name:	Skyline II july 28 2017 082.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	376.3 KB
ID:	219730
post #712 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 01:00 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
Sounds like they plan to fix it up on Saturday.
The Ministry of Forests, Lakes and Natural Resource Operations will be closing Chipmunk Creek Forest Service Road (leading to the Mt. Cheam trail) this Thursday, starting at 4 am to complete road work. .

so....is it paved now?
post #713 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 01:16 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

No, I think they just filled in the washouts and graded it
post #714 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 01:22 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Over a few days last week (Aug. 1-3), we hiked up to Mt. Rexford to climb the West Ridge and a route on S. Nesakwatch called Dairyland. I thought I'd give a road update and some other general comments.

The last time I was up the Nesakwatch Creek fsr was in 2015. The road is somewhat worse this year and hc 4wd is recommended, especially if you drive past the Slesse parking to get to Rexford and park in the sandy pullout before the big washout.

The Pocket Glacier on Slesse had partially slid. While we were up on Rexford, a big chunk fell off, which was pretty cool. Assuming this heat continues, reaching the NE Buttress should shortly be a stroll in approach shoes once again.

The smoke was obviously quite bad. On our second day up there, Slesse was visible only in silhouette. Like everywhere else right now, don't go up there if you are expecting great views across the valley.

The bugs were mostly a non-issue despite the lack of wind.

Finally, there is plenty of snow around for water but not enough to impede travel in any way. Therefore, this is a great time to head up there if you intend to stay awhile.

For those interested, the West Ridge was a lot of fun. Dairyland was okay with a couple of good pitches and some dirt and choss on others. S. Nesakwatch badly needs proper detailed topos because I'm sure there are a lot of great routes there that never see any action. I know about the whole "maintain the adventure" thing for this area and it's legit only if you believe adventure = confused irritation.
stever and treord8 like this.
post #715 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 07:00 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Borrowing or lending?

I was up Cheam Friday.
Road is in regular conditions, the repairs reported above amount to only one short section. I had no problems driving the whole way in 2wd, but others seem to find this road challenging, so YMMV.
Flowers are still blooming, but with the hot dry weather will probably start to turn brown soon.
Bugs weren't to bad, except the summit, where huge swarm of flying bugs had taken over, lunch was had a little lower to avoid them.
The smoke, yup still bad, hazy everywhere, but we all know that.
Had the entire mountain to myself, not another person all day.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3690.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	464.4 KB
ID:	224090  

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3685.jpg (589.2 KB, 424 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3681.jpg (1.67 MB, 427 views)
Dru and treord8 like this.

The greatest signature ever, tribute.
post #716 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Tree Frog View Post
The smoke, yup still bad, hazy everywhere
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3685.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	224274
This one is totally surreal!
post #717 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 01:16 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish View Post
Over a few days last week (Aug. 1-3), we hiked up to Mt. Rexford to climb the West Ridge and a route on S. Nesakwatch called Dairyland.
You didn't lose a camera up there did you? I posted some photos from it in the Stuff Lost on the Trail thread.
post #718 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 04:13 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Yes, that camera belongs to my friend. Thanks for posting the pictures. I've PM'd you.
post #719 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 12:43 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Tree Frog View Post
I was up Cheam Friday.
Road is in regular conditions, the repairs reported above amount to only one short section. I had no problems driving the whole way in 2wd, but others seem to find this road challenging, so YMMV.
Flowers are still blooming, but with the hot dry weather will probably start to turn brown soon.
Bugs weren't to bad, except the summit, where huge swarm of flying bugs had taken over, lunch was had a little lower to avoid them.
The smoke, yup still bad, hazy everywhere, but we all know that.
Had the entire mountain to myself, not another person all day.
If it's in "regular" condition then it must have been very well fixed up, because prior to that roadwork it was much worse than the "regular" (by regular I mean what I saw in the last three years). No way a 2wd would have made it up there a month ago.

Thanks! It means now I can go
post #720 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 01:20 AM
Scaling New Heights

Default Bug Cities

August 6 - Rainy River FSR ~ Polytope Peak
The road is decently passable to about ~16km or so with 4WD HC; if you are a 4 wheeling beast, perhaps you could make it most of the way to Lake 7. The bugs were pretty gnarly as soon as we hit the forest towards Polytope Pass. Smoke was thick as soup: could hardly see Lake 7 ridge from Polytope.

August 10 - 13 Semaphore Lakes haiku
All varieties
of bug cities everywhere
find the wind my friend
martin likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page