BC Recent Conditions Reports - Page 45 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

448Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #661 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 08:41 PM
Headed for the Mountains

FWIW, B.C. Wildfire crews were in clearing the deadfall from the Cheakamus Lake trail yesterday. It's now jogger stroller friendly (for the time being). I only went as far as the lakehead but the crews were carrying on to Singing Pass site so I imagine the whole thing is good for wheels now.
martin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 11:35 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Anything outside...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecarter1 View Post
I skinned the whole face short of the summit block. I would imagine that if you went early enough when it was firm, boots and crampons would be fine. If it gets slushy enough to need snowshoes, I wouldn't really want to be there.
Excellent - thanks for the info!
post #663 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 01:24 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ian View Post
FWIW, B.C. Wildfire crews were in clearing the deadfall from the Cheakamus Lake trail yesterday. It's now jogger stroller friendly (for the time being). I only went as far as the lakehead but the crews were carrying on to Singing Pass site so I imagine the whole thing is good for wheels now.
What deadfall? We were there this past weekend and there were two large logs (one about a metre diameter) together across the trail which looked like they'd been there for a year or so, judging from the well-beaten path around them. And about two other small trees down on the trail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #664 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 02:16 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Exploring the Coast Mountains and surrounding ocean waters in all seasons.

Bill,

You identified the windfall. We should be happy it's getting cleared. There was a lot of windthrow two weeks ago, and it doesn't take long for hikers on wet soil to create a very noticeable detour "trail" around these spots.

Fun is where you make it...

Last edited by msulkers; 06-16-2017 at 04:02 PM. Reason: spelingh
post #665 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 03:53 AM
High on the Mountain Top

anyone knows how Hurley Branch 12 current condition is? (FROM HURLEY FSR)

Thank you!

Real success in your life is defined by happiness.
post #666 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 09:12 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by msulkers View Post
Bill,

You identified the windfall. We should be happy it's getting cleared. There was a lot of windthrow two weeks ago, and it doesn't take long for hikers on wet soil to create a very noticeable detour "trail" around these spots.
Agreed, I was surprised how developed the braiding was already; then I remembered the ~80 people I passed exiting while I was going in....

Between the TH and the lake there were 4 or 5 cross-trail tree falls large enough to send people around instead of over, and yes a few smaller ones. And since I passed at least 2 strollers (non-jogger ones), I thought the update might be warranted for those looking for easier or kid-friendly destinations (or bikes). It is after all a heavily used trail....
post #667 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 12:42 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Sky Pilot - Jun 17
Patches of snow start before the Habrich turn-off. Continuous snow by the end of the road. Loads of snow by the time you reach the glacier. Easier to gain the ridge slightly right of the normal route as a gap has already formed between the snow and rock at the normal col (but is not visible from below). Ridge is snow covered to the crux slab which is dry. Two small snow patches to traverse above the crux slab and then the route is dry to the summit.
post #668 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 08:40 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Any info on Coquihalla Summit Area? Not from the area, but driving through soon. Guessing still snowy, just curious HOW snowy?
post #669 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 11:18 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Traveling, Kayaking, Hiking, Biking
Default Hope Pass - Grainger Creek

The trail has only 3 small logs to cross.
From Grainger Camp we went about 3 km towards Nicomen Lake ... no problem
All around Grainger Camp were these Morels
post #670 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 11:20 AM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Anything outside...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecarter1 View Post
@stever - Snowline was at the Upper Joffre Lake on June 7th (trail below snow free). No unavoidable exposed ice or crevasses. Slalom was well filled in and skied nicely: https://www.facebook.com/skiericcart...4772358649147/
Climbed Slalok Saturday morning. Followed a very faint boot track half way, then made our own path to the summit the last half. Conditions were excellent, ranging between solid steps to front pointing in firm snow. No views from the summit due to temporary clouds as we approached the summit block.

We saw your ski tracks on the way down....impressive feat!
post #671 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 11:59 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Hurley Branch 12 is in the good condition but you do need high clearance for this road as there are some water bars. Snowline there is around 1550-1600 meter.
aspersa likes this.

Real success in your life is defined by happiness.
post #672 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 05:08 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Garibaldi Lake?

Does anyone have recent intel on garibaldi lake/ blacktusk / panorama ridge?

I was thinking of going up next weekend but not sure if I should bring snowshoes or if it would even be safe and enjoyable to hike at this point.
post #673 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 07:52 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Anyone have any info on how the Hanging Lake "trail" is? The most recent trip report I found was from 2012 (https://forums.clubtread.com/27-briti...t-26-12-a.html) and am hoping to hike on up there soon!
post #674 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 08:33 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking (obviously), snowshoeing, backpacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchau View Post
Anyone have any info on how the Hanging Lake "trail" is? The most recent trip report I found was from 2012 (https://forums.clubtread.com/27-briti...t-26-12-a.html) and am hoping to hike on up there soon!
I remember a post on Chilliwack Hiking FB Page 1-2 weeks ago if you want to check that out. Seem to remember it being being pretty snowy still and quite the bushwhack, but seems like it is like that all the time.

Wilderness is not a luxury but necessity of the human spirit.
post #675 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiphoid View Post
Does anyone have recent intel on garibaldi lake/ blacktusk / panorama ridge?

I was thinking of going up next weekend but not sure if I should bring snowshoes or if it would even be safe and enjoyable to hike at this point.
I remember seeing recent report somewhere claiming how Rubble trail to the lake is mostly dry, but alpine is still white. In other words I think it would be safe and enjoyable to hike to lake only, but for Black Tusk / Panorama Ridge there would be plenty of postholing in wet snow.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page