BC Recent Conditions Reports - Page 39 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

479Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #571 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 02:24 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Has anyone hiked the Heather Trail in Manning Park recently? Planning on a trip in early October.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 06:41 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, Scuba diving, Underwater Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by boehml View Post
Has anyone hiked the Heather Trail in Manning Park recently? Planning on a trip in early October.
I was up there two weeks ago. We hiked Heather from Blackwell Peak parking to Three brothers to Nicomen lake to Cayuse parking. It is getting cold up there. We had frost the first morning. Lots of wind up on top of first brother. The colours are changing and look great. Trail is in excellent condition and of course well marked. We started on a Thursday and only met one other overnight hiker. It was nice and quiet and peaceful.

What is my goal in life? To enjoy the great outdoors as much as I can
post #573 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 08:19 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGoHiking View Post
I was up there two weeks ago. We hiked Heather from Blackwell Peak parking to Three brothers to Nicomen lake to Cayuse parking. It is getting cold up there. We had frost the first morning. Lots of wind up on top of first brother. The colours are changing and look great. Trail is in excellent condition and of course well marked. We started on a Thursday and only met one other overnight hiker. It was nice and quiet and peaceful.

Thank you, I was expecting cold but was hoping for no snow as of yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #574 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 04:34 PM
Scaling New Heights

Anyone been around Hanes Valley recently? Thinking of heading there this weekend.
post #575 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 04:42 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

We went up Mt. Harvey Saturday, a late start of 9am but we saw nobody all day. I guess everyone is hooing and hawing over Joffre and Crown.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	harvey.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	327.2 KB
ID:	180137  

post #576 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 09:36 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
We went up Mt. Harvey Saturday, a late start of 9am but we saw nobody all day. I guess everyone is hooing and hawing over Joffre and Crown.
...and let's hope it stays that way. Outstanding shot you shared...one of the better ones coming from that ridge, and a lot of great shots have come from that place. : )
martin likes this.
post #577 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 09:09 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Headed up to Mount Frosty in Manning yesterday via the larch meadows. The larches are in full colour right now - go soon if you want to see them as they seem to have all changed colour and the wind was already blowing the needles off.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02202.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	181033  

Name:	DSC02191.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	401.1 KB
ID:	181041  

Name:	DSC02188.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	347.5 KB
ID:	181049  

Name:	DSC02163.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	181057  

post #578 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 01:08 AM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Yeah I heard there were ~200 people there yesterday. We were there today with another ~200 people,. What really struck me was how well behaved everyone and their dog were. Everyone was friendly. Dogs were well behaved. One or two bits of trash on the way up trail had vanished on the way back down the trail. Everyone was friendly and smiling. Trail was in good shape. Nothing to complain about - good work all!
happiestoutdoors, aspersa and ashi like this.
post #579 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 02:26 AM
Ryl
Headed for the Mountains

Up at Watersprite all weekend doing cabin work: thick heavy flakes most of Saturday but nothing was sticking. Snow line is around 5000ft and creeping lower.
ashi likes this.

_
post #580 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 01:09 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Exploring, hiking, scrambling

Ryan & I went to Garibaldi Lake recently. Here are some observations I think are worth sharing: http://www.ashikaparsad.com/2016/10/...ncial-park-bc/
post #581 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 09:36 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Heather Trail is looking magnificent this fall but getting cold, I managed just fine in my 0C bag though.

post #582 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 08:10 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Err, need you ask? Hiking :-)

Brandywine Meadows: 4x4 road to upper parking is getting pretty rough and rocky, but not loose so our CR-V made it OK. However, would have loved 4-lo for the descent... The new trail into the meadows is bedding in nicely, with just a couple of muddy spots to go through. Once in the meadows it meanders across the floodplain and is a glorious raised gravel path. My group made it to the upper meadows in only an hour or so. It's almost cheating... After that, straightforward to Brandywine summit and its awesome views.

Elfin Lakes: the hikers' trail out of Red Heather is undergoing some upgrades and is really muddy right now (mind you, it always gets muddy around this time of year with the freeze-thaw cycles). The upper section just before it rejoins the old road has been gravelled so I assume that's the plan for the whole connector. One of the descending backpackers wiped out in the mud and was covered pretty much from head to toe... Another busy place though the shelter and campground were empty on Sunday afternoon. The road is fine, though rough and bumpy for the last stretch once around the corner. Colours are good right now - very few berries.

Joffre Lakes: much quieter now, but the parking lot was still almost full by the afternoon - surprising for a cloudy Monday in October. The trail wasn't quite as tedious as I'd remembered but it was a cooler day. It was fun to play "spot the old trail" along the way. A few significant objets d'ordures: a broken Thermos, gas canister, the inevitable water bottle, and 3 hardback books propped up on a rock like they were for sale. The books appeared in the time it took me to get to the upper lake and back down to just above the boulder field. I was so stunned it didn't occur to me to try and carry them out. (Note to self: bring a garbage bag next time...) There are lots of survey posts around the parking lot - chatting with the ranger it seems that there are upgrades in the works, plus the campground is due to get new outhouses (yes, possibly plural).
Dru likes this.
post #583 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 05:03 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, Scuba diving, Underwater Photography

Wedgemount Lake, most of the trail up is in good condition however as you near the top it is getting muddy. It is starting to freeze up there so be careful on the rock climb near the top. There is fresh snow on the mountain tops and we had snow at the cabin for about 15 minutes. The rest of the day was very nice. And no issues with the drive in.

What is my goal in life? To enjoy the great outdoors as much as I can
post #584 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 03:37 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Does anyone know what the snow status is for Mt Cheam / Lady Peak?
post #585 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 01:47 PM
Ryl
Headed for the Mountains

Cayoosh summit this morning, 1200m, stay frosty!
Attached Images

_

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page