BC Recent Conditions Reports - Page 36 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

479Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #526 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 02:13 PM
vdg
Headed for the Mountains

Default Brew Hut area: July 1st 2016 weekend

The Roe Main road to BR200 is fine for any car, up to KM6. If you know how to drive over rocks, you can probably make it to BR200 road- I would not push it in a small car though.

Main Roe FSR is completely blocked by a huge water bar of some sort from the junction with Br200, so if you plan to access Cypress peak from there, you'll need to walk to the end of the road.

Probably any strong AWD can make it up on Br200 to the trailhead for Brew Hut/lake: the winter blockage with the big logs has been cleared and now you can drive all the way.

The actual trail was buggy for the first 1h or so, then snow appeared and the bugs were gone. Some dry patches for camping around the lake.
The snow is substantial for most of the trail to the hut, but around the hut is dry so you can camp there- very rocky though.

Mount Brew "trail" is very bushy but short, or you can try the left side on the snow- kind of steep slope so be careful.
Malt peak trail looked very nice to do in the current snow conditions.
Keg peak trail is still in the snow, but the ridge line holds well for an "easy" hike to the top: amazing views from there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #527 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 04:40 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Went up Coliseum on Sunday. Had vague aspirations of tagging Burwell as well, but man that is a slow slog of a trail. Snow-free up to and including the summit, mostly snow-covered past that. The little tarn near the summit is only partially melted out.

Semper fudge
post #528 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 05:00 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Hsct

I went from Cypress to Unnecessary along the Howe Sound Crest Trail on July 3. The trail up to St Mark's became a bit muddy but was snow free. From St Mark's to Unnecessary, there was a bit of mud but also was mostly snow free until a few hundred meters from the southern peak of Unnecessary.

Any idea if the rest of the HSCT is passable with just boots?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #529 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 05:14 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blucruisin View Post
Has anyone been up to Cheam recently? Road conditions and trail update would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
Road is 4wd to parking lot. Trail still has a few small snow patches but is mostly melted out to summit. Quite popular right now, expect lots of hikers!
post #530 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 03:17 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmoon View Post
I went from Cypress to Unnecessary along the Howe Sound Crest Trail on July 3. The trail up to St Mark's became a bit muddy but was snow free. From St Mark's to Unnecessary, there was a bit of mud but also was mostly snow free until a few hundred meters from the southern peak of Unnecessary.

Any idea if the rest of the HSCT is passable with just boots?
friends did HSCT last Sunday, still some snow, better to bring Microspikes.

Here is the TR in Chinese but you can still look at pics:

http://www.crossna.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27828

Real success in your life is defined by happiness.
post #531 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 04:21 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

FYI - Tamihi Creek Road is driveable again all the way back to the point across from the north face of Tomyhoi. Active logging going on. You'll be walking or dirt bike riding if you want to head up to 1620m road end below the Border Peaks.
Mr. B and Wandering Tree Frog like this.
post #532 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 03:38 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I see from the previous post that Elfin Lake was snow covered from the Red Heather onwards. From past experiences from other users, what would be the feasibility of having a clear trail next weekend?

(First post, nice forum!)
post #533 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 12:42 PM
vdg
Headed for the Mountains

Default Hidden peak- Callaghan lake area

The road is driveable by any SUV type car, small sedans might have a bit of rough time through water bars.

This is an area that does not see a lot of people, although the 360 degrees views are something hard to forget!
Warning: there is no established trail to the peak, the first 2-3km from the lake is pure bushwacking that took us 2h, so no walk in the park
After you hit a nice big rock band, hugging the wall(no need to go up, but north, along the wall) will take you nicely in some more open terrain that leads very nicely to an amazing ridge.
Snow started around 1500m or so, patchy then continuous in the valleys.
The line to peak is very obvious with nice rock that holds reasonably well, no exposure on the route we took. The views from the top are absolutely amazing: ice fields in the distance..tons of peaks around you..etc.

Coming down, we decided that enough is enough of bushwhacking nightmare so we choose a straight west line, hoping to meet the Ring lake trail and go around the mountain, of the fairly flat trail. A bit longer approach but much better: it added 2.5km to our trip on almost flat terrain. The down hill slide was fun until we hit the forest where we took a very steep line that worked reasonably well, using the vegetation as belays:600m of tough work brought us down to some meadows that were 20 min away from the lodge in the valley. Easy going from there on
adm likes this.
post #534 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 07:31 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Frosty Mtn and Needle Peak

Frosty Mountain (Manning Park) almost totally free of snow. Did it in road running shoes without difficulty.
Needle Peak (Coquihalla) almost totally free of snow as well. Also did it in road shoes without difficulty
post #535 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 04:09 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsakamoto View Post
I see from the previous post that Elfin Lake was snow covered from the Red Heather onwards. From past experiences from other users, what would be the feasibility of having a clear trail next weekend?

(First post, nice forum!)
I appreciate that your question was aimed at those with prior experience in the area but would say there is 0% chance of no snow on the trail right now. Note that it's still fully marked and easy to follow, just covered in snow!
gsakamoto likes this.
post #536 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 10:57 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I am thinking of riding my bike up Brohm Ridge one of these days, as the weather potentially begins to get nicer. Does anyone know what the snow conditions / road conditions are on upper brohm ridge? Specifically from the Chalet to very top of the ridge along the single track (the webcam shows no snow at the Chalet). I know the top would usually still be covered in snow at this time of year, but am thinking hot spring weather may have knocked it out early?
post #537 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 02:55 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

A recent thread about doing "all of the 103 Hikes" reminded me that a fire lookout above Schkam Lake (Lake of the Woods) was listed in the first edition and I'd never done that hike. I drove out to American Creek on Sunday afternoon, parked and took an old spur to the south at around 2.5 km. The old logging roads run all the way to the summit, but are quite overgrown in places and there are lots of downed alder as well. I found the foundations of the old lookout on the 560m summit, as well as a nicely flagged trail dropping south towards Lake of the Woods. I went a ways down that trail but the thought of having to walk back on the highway and FSR to get to my car wasn't very appealing so I turned around and went back the way I had come to my car.

Lots of mushrooms and slime molds to check out in the woods near the summit, but overall a zero- or one-star hike at best.
guntis, KARVITK and TheMagBumper like this.
post #538 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 02:37 PM
Summit Master

For anyone interested in conditions for Hanes, Widowmaker route, Norvan/Colisum, Needles, etc., I got some shots on Sunday:
http://realaworld.zenfolio.com/p899305207

Also from a higher perspective:
https://vimeo.com/175178222

-Ryan
post #539 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 05:07 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan.in.yaletown View Post
For anyone interested in conditions for Hanes, Widowmaker route, Norvan/Colisum, Needles, etc., I got some shots on Sunday:

-Ryan
Nice shots. Why is it that so many people get lost in Hanes Valley? Planning on doing it at some point this summer but don't want to be evacuated by helicopter (will have map + compass).
KARVITK and ashi like this.
post #540 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 10:08 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan.in.yaletown View Post

-Ryan
Fascinating rescue video from the higher perspective!

If I may ask; what was he doing over on that side of the valley? Also, he didn't look injured so was he just in a bad spot and he wasn't able to get out? Did he have cell service there?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page