BC Recent Conditions Reports - Page 34 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #496 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 01:56 PM
Hittin' the Trails

A belated note about the route Speedway on Yak Peak which we climbed a couple weeks ago. The route was completely dry and seems like it would generally be fast-drying as it climbs open slabs on a bit of a crest. However, the route "SOMWOW" to the left looks to still have a few snow patches feeding some persistent wet streaks.

Of note, some of the hangers on Speedway have been bent (by snow creep?) and are difficult to clip. The bolts themselves seem fine so it could be worth bringing a wrench and a few beefy hangers if you climb the route.

Speedway is not set up to be rappelled (you'd have to add tat to almost every anchor), however there is a new route to the right that is equipped with shiny anchors. The first of these can be reached in one long rappel from the trees at the top of Speedway. Two 60 m ropes are best for rappelling this route (we came up a bit short a couple times with 50s).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #497 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 05:39 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Elson View Post

Speedway is not set up to be rappelled (you'd have to add tat to almost every anchor), .
Nick, ???? I did Speedway twice, most recently about 5 years ago, and we rapped the route both times with no need to add tat. It was set up for rappeling then. Can't remember if it had chain or webbing stations though
post #498 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 06:03 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Dru, I looked at your previous reports for beta and it sounds like there used to be Metolius rap hangers. However, these have since been chopped and new bolts placed with standard hangers. There were bits of old tat on a few of the anchors but it's definitely more convenient to rappel this new route (do you know anything about it?) which is set up with rings at every station.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #499 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 06:41 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

First I have heard of the new route. Isn't the climbing over there pretty much the exact same gradient slab, only a certain number of meters away?
post #500 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 06:54 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
Isn't the climbing over there pretty much the exact same gradient slab, only a certain number of meters away?
Pretty much, although to be fair this route looks a bit more varied and has way more bolts. I was just curious as the route appeared to be completed but I hadn't heard of it either.
post #501 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 10:52 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Goat ridge to Petgill Lake

I'm new on CT so please forgive me if this message is in the wrong place.
This weekend after hiking up to Goat Ridge from the Skyline ridge trail near Copilot we ran into a problem completing out route which was to be loop finishing at Murrin Park or back at the gondola (Seatosky) depending on the time. We hiked down the Goat ridge trail toward Petgill Lake and about 500 ft above the lake the trail vanished into new logging slash. No trail, gone, the end.
We ending up following logging roads that eventually took us to Britannia Beach. Just wanted to give people a "heads up" and wondered if others are aware that this trail has been destroyed.
post #502 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 11:27 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Did Elk-Thurston-Mercer and back today. Elk and Thurston are snow feee, just a bit muddy. Only a few placed to walk on snow up Mercer; for the last few hundred m up to the summit, there was still a fair bit (5-6 feet) of snow on the north side of the ridge, and less in the meadows on that side. Sunny side of the hill was dry.
post #503 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 12:25 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrymosa83 View Post
I'm new on CT so please forgive me if this message is in the wrong place.
This weekend after hiking up to Goat Ridge from the Skyline ridge trail near Copilot we ran into a problem completing out route which was to be loop finishing at Murrin Park or back at the gondola (Seatosky) depending on the time. We hiked down the Goat ridge trail toward Petgill Lake and about 500 ft above the lake the trail vanished into new logging slash. No trail, gone, the end.
We ending up following logging roads that eventually took us to Britannia Beach. Just wanted to give people a "heads up" and wondered if others are aware that this trail has been destroyed.
Thanks for that update! Been considering a recent trip including Goat Ridge so this is really good to know.
post #504 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 01:23 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Mt.Hope, June 19, 2016

Hiked Mt.Hope trail this Sunday. The route is a bit bushy, wet and muddy, but easy to follow. First snow patches appear at about 1750m, there is more white stuff at 1800m and higher, but snowcover is intermittent. Also there was fresh snow above 1800m.
Mt.Hope FSR is in decent condition for the first ~5.1km, the next kilometre after the creek with no bridge is very rough, somewhat steep and overgrown, after that the road is ok again with some waterbars.
There is a sign at the 5.1km creek crossing warning hikers about poor road conditions ahead and recommending parking right there. Parking at the creek adds about 3.3km each way.
Next time I'll heed the warning and hike extra kms.
post #505 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 04:43 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Cantelon Creek road is open to 7 km (first bridge), for active heli logging, brushed out past there to near end of valley. Should make for good access to Ling Lake.
post #506 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 05:25 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Anyone have a recent report on the Garibaldi Lake trail? BC Parks' report is a month old.
post #507 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 08:06 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Ice is off Garibaldi Lake and below maybe 100 meters above the lake snow is essentially gone, I saw a photo from Monday. I didn't ask about trail, I'll be surprised if there's anything but a few remaining shaded snow patches on the way. Totally clear to the signpost at least. Blowdown unknown.
post #508 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 05:11 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Elfin Lakes as of June 18/19:

The snow line started just before Red Heather Hut. The snow is still quite deep - skiable at parts. At this rate, I wonder if it would be dry before September...
post #509 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 05:56 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Keyhole/Pebble Creek Hotsprings closed due to aggressive bears and idiot humans not safely managing their food.
https://forums.clubtread.com/25-park-...gs-closed.html
post #510 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 09:59 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Does anyone happen to know what the snow conditions are at wedgemount lake?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page