BC Recent Conditions Reports - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

448Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 10:45 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Was up at Keith's hut this weekend. Cerise Creek summer trail is bare almost to the hut. Not much snow around. There is some skiing to be had on the glacier but things are pretty bare still. About 6 inches fell last night, more higher up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Nov 10, 2014:

Ran up Strachan South from Cypress Bowl. Transferred to trail at Hollyburn backside junction, but very awkward - thin crust, sheets of ice and mud - back to road at Plane Crash site (memorial plaque here I saw for 1st time - is this new? 1st pic below). Peeked down drop to North/South col -- ice. North Peak appears snow free, but I imagine Christmas gully is best avoided in these conditions. Nice sunset; cold, had to put down jacket.

Howe Sound Crest. Can never get tired of it. One of "the" places on this world to me
post #33 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 07:56 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Black Mountain open for early season skiing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 04:07 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Higher up in the Duffey, coverage is pretty good, although there's a solid crust right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040049.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	97  

post #35 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 07:59 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Lions loop: started with Unnecessary mt, across to Lions col, heard of very icy conditions on peak, headed directly down standard trail and then back up to car. Unnecessary trail in good shape, not much ice, however the standard route is a real ice mess down to the first flat. Very little snow, perhaps a couple of inches on the ridge. I saw just over a dozen people on Sunday, some were prepared better than others...
post #36 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 07:39 PM
Rex
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, scrambling and mountaineering.

Coquihalla Summit Recreation Area - Nov 11
Yak Peak - Light dusting of snow at highway level... there is a fair bit of ice from freeze thaw to contend with as you ascend the trail, mico-spikes were useful but not essential as half the group ascended without. The snow became deeper as you ascend but not deep enough to require snowshoes as of yet. I would say it was about 20-40cm deep in upper terrain depressions on the col and ridgeline. Lots of free running water in the depression directly off the highway... the lower 1/3 forested area has sections where the water has frozen with the pine needles and dirt on steep'ish grade making it a prime place to lose your footing if you get too lax.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20141111_Yak_01.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	345  

Name:	20141111_Yak_16.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	353  

Name:	20141111_Yak_15.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	361  

Photos: Flickr
Journal: Livetrails

Nothing worthwhile is easy.
post #37 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Nov 17, 2014:

Up to Garibaldi Lake from Rubble Creek. Another car break-in at parking lot. Trail is dry. Some hard frozen ground and tiny ice patches past km 7, but easily avoidable and no traction required. Lesser Garibaldi mostly frozen, but main lake ice free. Creeks are getting frozen. Soft, milky light and temperature inversion.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lakepano.jpg
Views:	839
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	3337  

Last edited by zeljkok; 11-21-2014 at 12:12 AM.
post #38 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 02:05 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Hey all,

Does anyone know if Frosty Mountain (Manning Park, BC) is accessible during the winter months (Mainly December) via snowshoe/ crampon?

Cheers
post #39 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 08:25 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Default Frosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by clim View Post
Hey all,

Does anyone know if Frosty Mountain (Manning Park, BC) is accessible during the winter months (Mainly December) via snowshoe/ crampon?

Cheers

Yes, but it is tricky to follow beyond Km 2 or 3 in deep snow.
post #40 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 05:26 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
Yes, but it is tricky to follow beyond Km 2 or 3 in deep snow.
Thanks for the reply!
Is frosty mountain loop trail assessable via snowshoe/ crampon?
And are there any glacier/ crevasse crossings I should rope in for on the way to summiting Frosty Mountain?

Thanks!
post #41 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 05:52 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Thanks for the reply!
Is frosty mountain loop trail assessable via snowshoe/ crampon?
And are there any glacier/ crevasse crossings I should rope in for on the way to summiting Frosty Mountain?

Thanks!
With all due respect, I'd suggest that one's first time up Frosty should be in summer conditions. The low traffic in winter makes it a "remote" peak and the upper reaches of the trail are not a totally benign place.

And while the east summit is easy in summer conditions, the rarely visited and higher west summit is much more serious business. There is no glacier.

Meet you at DYE-II?
post #42 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 05:52 PM
Summit Master

Whistler says they're opening this weekend.

Meet you at DYE-II?
post #43 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 07:05 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgRant View Post
With all due respect, I'd suggest that one's first time up Frosty should be in summer conditions. The low traffic in winter makes it a "remote" peak and the upper reaches of the trail are not a totally benign place.

And while the east summit is easy in summer conditions, the rarely visited and higher west summit is much more serious business. There is no glacier.
Thanks for the insight

This is by no means my first time snowshoeing or ski touring. But thank you for the warning, I will think more about this!
I was also considering just doing Frost Mountain Loop Trail. What are your thoughts on this?

Cheers
post #44 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 07:20 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Thanks for the insight

This is by no means my first time snowshoeing or ski touring. But thank you for the warning, I will think more about this!
I was also considering just doing Frost Mountain Loop Trail. What are your thoughts on this?

Cheers
Thanks for taking the advice gracefully. The problem with the loop as a safer alternative is that it goes almost to the east summit of Frosty, and it may take longer. It includes the most exposed talus slope on the Frosty trail, plus the ne ridge with cornice danger. After snow buries this trail, it can be difficult to impossible to follow through the subalpine, so you'd need a gps with the trail shown to follow it. With that amount of snow comes avalanche danger. You'd want to be prepared to spend the night out, and for safety avoid going alone.

The only shelter along the way is halfway down the Frosty trail. It is open-sided. There is firewood there, but the large rounds means you'd have to carry an axe to use it.

Have you considered the Fat Dog -> Lookout road route?

Meet you at DYE-II?
post #45 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 07:52 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgRant View Post
Thanks for taking the advice gracefully. The problem with the loop as a safer alternative is that it goes almost to the east summit of Frosty, and it may take longer. It includes the most exposed talus slope on the Frosty trail, plus the ne ridge with cornice danger. After snow buries this trail, it can be difficult to impossible to follow through the subalpine, so you'd need a gps with the trail shown to follow it. With that amount of snow comes avalanche danger. You'd want to be prepared to spend the night out, and for safety avoid going alone.

The only shelter along the way is halfway down the Frosty trail. It is open-sided. There is firewood there, but the large rounds means you'd have to carry an axe to use it.

Have you considered the Fat Dog -> Lookout road route?
Thank you for the recommendation, I just took a look at it. I am looking for a 3day/ 2 night snowshoe trip for the coming winter in BC. Do you have any other recommendations?

Cheers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page