BC Recent Conditions Reports - Page 15 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

481Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #211 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 12:54 PM
Rex
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, scrambling and mountaineering.

FYI

As of April 1, 2015 Golden Ears Provincial Park is open from 7:00am to 11:00pm daily.

Photos: Flickr
Journal: Livetrails

Nothing worthwhile is easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 12:41 PM
Scaling New Heights

Does anyone know what the conditions are like for going up Golden Ears? Hoping to go camp on the ridge and do a little day trip to the top towards the end of the month, wondering what the snow coverage is going to be like. My best guess is a little bit of snow from the last few weeks, but warm weather in the forecast for next week so some melting?
post #213 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 01:05 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStu View Post
My best guess is a little bit of snow from the last few weeks,
It's been dumping. I'd expect a foot or more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 10:32 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Some road updates:

Indian River FSR: major washout about 5K past new bridge. There is a bypass but its currently only navigable by 4X4HC. It's a tight bypass so big trucks may have a hard time getting through until this is cleared.
Past that, Norton Spur off Hixon is drivable all the way to Norton Lake by most 4X4 vehicles, but getting a little bushy in places.

Kwoiek FSR: still drivable to John George Lake outlet, but the alder is getting really thick in places. Construction on the IPP seems to be complete.
brandonportcoquitlam and CL like this.
post #215 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 12:28 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
It's been dumping. I'd expect a foot or more
Thanks Dru!
post #216 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 02:33 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Mount Cheam

I am new to Vancouver and am interested in going up Mt. Cheam this weekend. I have a 4x4 and will have no problems getting there, I just want to know what the hike portion is like? Everywhere says to go late summer. Will it be covered in snow/ice?
post #217 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 09:37 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Anyone know wgat the water levels are like at Buntzen? Is it still high and flooded?
post #218 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 10:53 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
Originally Posted by abowden View Post
I am... interested in going up Mt. Cheam this weekend. I have a 4x4 and will have no problems getting there, I just want to know what the hike portion is like? Everywhere says to go late summer. Will it be covered in snow/ice?
You won't be driving to the summer parking lot, it's been dumping on Cheam the last few days.

Right now you are looking at an all day snowshoe, and with the warming trend, a high probability of avalanches on south facing slopes like those above the trail. Not a great choice for this weekend.

Given the odd snowpack this year, you will have best luck from late June on.
post #219 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 12:21 AM
Summit Master

Interest: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessMan View Post
Anyone know wgat the water levels are like at Buntzen? Is it still high and flooded?

As of last weekend lake levels are back to normal and all trails open. Gate times are 8am to 8pm.
post #220 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 04:29 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Err, need you ask? Hiking :-)
Default Dam Mtn via BCMC

Hiked up the BCMC to Dam Mtn on the 15th. BCMC was, well, as it usually is - perfectly hikeable, but not necessarily fun. Someone had left a note complaining about the mismatch of funds allocated to the Grind and BCMC trail... Patchy snow and ice began around 900 m, continuous by about 1000 m. A few muddy patches near the top. Yak Trax or similar would probably help if you're not adept at skating :-)

The route up to Dam was well trodden up to the summit and about 100 m beyond. Snowshoes not necessary, though some might prefer Yak Trax for the descent. After that, I was postholing up to my knees (chilly in shorts) and my guess is that the snow was probably less than a metre deep. From there it was easy to reconnect with the "Alpine" trail and back to Grouse where it had just started snowing.

Highlight of the trip was watching the grizzlies sparring. I wouldn't want to get in the way of those claws....
post #221 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 01:28 AM
Scaling New Heights

I am hoping to head up to St Marks Summit tomorrow with my friend. We have snowshoes, but no microspikes or crampons. Will we have traction issues?
Would there be any cornices up there either?

Last edited by HikerSkierRunner27; 04-18-2015 at 02:52 AM.
post #222 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 03:41 AM
adm
Scaling New Heights

I hiked to "Strachan Meadows" on the HSCT easily without crampons yesterday. It can get a bit icy in the forest beyond on the way to St. Marks, but you can usually slide your way there without danger
post #223 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 02:43 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Summitted Golden Ears yesterday. From Alderflats to Panorama ridge, snow begins as you reach the crest of the ridge. Very wet in the afternoon on the way down. Gaiters recommended.

Once on Panaroama ridge it's snow all the way to the top. Snowshoe time, otherwise you're postholing a foot or two deep and it's a slog to even get to the shelter (though some were trying).

Beautiful up there this time of year.
post #224 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 05:41 PM
vdg
Headed for the Mountains

Default Keith Hut area-19 April 2015 update

You can start skining about 20 min from the trail head, with reasonable good coverage in the trees.
I suspect that in 2 weeks time of warm weather the trail will be much harder to traverse on skis: plenty of small creeks to cross..etc.

Good snow coverage on anything north facing, a bit icy in the morning, but very good after 9am. The south facing portion of Vantage, towards Duke, was looking bare.

Anniversary glacier had very good spring snow before midday, as after that it got a bit heavy.
post #225 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 02:57 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Love the outdoors. Trying new things. And at night......BOGGLE!

Mt Elphinstone yesterday! Rode bikes on the ferry and took the Port Mellon/Wharf Road access point. This was tough for my minimal mtn biking skills. I walked the bike a lot and spent lots of time gouging my legs with pedals and getting the seat jammed into my ass and nether regions due to the holyshi!$ stop and go on the bumpy trail (old lady wuss). We hid the bikes and started hiking not far past the bridge that allowed for three bikers only.
Trail was clear and very small patches of snow all the way to the helipad. Oh…and lots of mud/boggy section that will sink you to above the ankles if you aren't careful. Also, many roots and slippery mud sections that made me thankful I carry poles. Even then, I went on my ass hard once.

Two of us got 'bit' by a dog on the first rocky viewpoint. No blood, but definite bruising and it hurt like hell

Strenuous but gorgeous day out for my first time on this trail!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page