BC Recent Conditions Reports - Page 63 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

206Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #931 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.
Default Cascade lookout - access

to CASCADE LOOKOUT ROAD..

Open to viewpoint, but closed at start of the 8 km portion of gravel road to Heather Meadows Parking area.

Views from the top.

Attachment 277232

Attachment 277234

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............

Last edited by zeljkok; 06-20-2022 at 03:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 07:20 PM
Headed for the Mountains

A few pics from my recent trip to Berg Lake. We lucked out getting reservations and then lucked out with some good weather!

post #933 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
A few pics from my recent trip to Berg Lake. We lucked out getting reservations and then lucked out with some good weather!

Million thumbs up!! Snowbird is awesome, isn't it. And you hauled tripod too, right on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #934 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 03:12 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Attachment 277556

Attachment 277558

Cypress mountain peak update. Black mountain is free from snow from the lodge. Up Christmas Gully to Strachan Peak(s) has a good amount of lingering snow and some of the usual deadfall in the trees. The snow in the upper parts of the gully can be avoided, but I chose to go up it instead. Between Strachan and Hollyburn, the snow is decently patchy and breaking apart. Wouldn't be surprised if this is all gone in a week. Went up the north/west side of Hollyburn and this trail was exciting. Its not flagged great so I got lost in a few places where snow was covering the footpath, but it goes through big old growth and under some cliffs.

post #935 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 06:16 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, kayaking

MikeW,
Thanks for pics of Berg Lake when everything is green!
(I've only seen Canada's beauty in late summer and fall, so fleurs and green grass are a novelty.)
What are the quadrupeds on the hike to Snowbird Pass?
ty.
post #936 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 11:48 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdBrook View Post
MikeW,
Thanks for pics of Berg Lake when everything is green!
(I've only seen Canada's beauty in late summer and fall, so fleurs and green grass are a novelty.)
What are the quadrupeds on the hike to Snowbird Pass?
ty.
It was a family of mountain goats. We saw a total of 13 on the way down from the pass.
post #937 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 06:58 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Pitt River Hot Springs Conditions?

Hello,

I'm wondering if anybody has been up to Pitt River Hot Springs lately (July 2020)? Would the water level be too high right now? What is the best time of year to visit? Is the FSR in good enough shape to make by gravel bike?

My plan is to canoe to the North end of Pitt Lake and bikepack to the hot springs.

Any advice/suggestions are appreciated.
post #938 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 11:51 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Canoeing, camping, hiking, biking, trail running... basically anything that gets me outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Allen View Post
Hello,

I'm wondering if anybody has been up to Pitt River Hot Springs lately (July 2020)? Would the water level be too high right now? What is the best time of year to visit? Is the FSR in good enough shape to make by gravel bike?

My plan is to canoe to the North end of Pitt Lake and bikepack to the hot springs.

Any advice/suggestions are appreciated.
I've never been to the hot springs, but FWIW I was paddling on Pitt Lake about 10 days ago and the water was very high. Seems likely to me that the river would be quite high right now too.
post #939 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 01:07 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by two2the8 View Post
I've never been to the hot springs, but FWIW I was paddling on Pitt Lake about 10 days ago and the water was very high. Seems likely to me that the river would be quite high right now too.
I second this comment. Went paddling across to the Widgeon campsite on Saturday and have never seen the water so high. Not sure on the whole tide thing there but we spent 6 hours and the "low" tide water level was still extremely high - so I am sure Pitt River will be higher than usual too.
post #940 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2020, 08:20 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Default Wasp warning

Just letting you know to use caution on the trail up to Bishop from Vicar Lakes. Got stung at 1100m. Just once, so I don't actually know if there is nest along the trail. Had to go back up to where I got stung because my phone fell out of my pocket when I wiped out from running away so fast. Didn't see or hear anything, but I didn't hang around to find out. : )
post #941 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2020, 08:30 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Went to Pitt River Hot Springs 2 weeks ago and the water was flowing into both hot spring pools.
Definitely in the morning it was ice cold down there. Which was unfortunate after going all the way out there....
Bottom pool was completely covered and the top one had significant spillage at times.

Beautiful location but kind of a gong show on the weekend. We counted at least 20 people heading in there on Saturday afternoon, along with multiple noisy jet-boats heading up the river all day.
post #942 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2020, 07:49 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: What can I say, I love the outdoors. Backpacking, canoeing, hiking, fishing, a little cycling and so on and so on.

Thanks for the heads up BushBasher. Was planning on paddling with the bikes on board the canoe September 20 something during the week but am hesitant now. I read that the river was supposed to be shut down sometime soon to jet boat traffic that is damaging salmon habitat but obviously that hasn't happened. Kind of surprised the river is still overflowing the pools too.

Every journey begins with one small step.
post #943 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2020, 02:04 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrip View Post
Thanks for the heads up BushBasher. Was planning on paddling with the bikes on board the canoe September 20 something during the week but am hesitant now. I read that the river was supposed to be shut down sometime soon to jet boat traffic that is damaging salmon habitat but obviously that hasn't happened. Kind of surprised the river is still overflowing the pools too.
I'd think by mid Sept it would be all good.. if not now.
If you want the place to yourself I'd definitely go during the week. There was no one there Thurs / Fri but the weekend was a completely different story.
post #944 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Oct 14, '20: Looks like NSR has been busy with this early winter blast

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...t-16-1.5686387

Quote:
The three hikers on Coliseum just had shorts on, T-shirts and I think just cotton hoodies
post #945 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 08:53 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Wow, just shorts and hoodies in October.

I wonder if they got their instagram pic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page