The hike to Widgeon Lake - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default The hike to Widgeon Lake

I'm thinking of hiking up to Widgeon Lake next summer, but am a bit nervous at the prospect of a dangerous or too-difficult hike. I've hiked Dilly Dally and Eagle Peak before, and I'm comfortable on those. I did not really like the Chief in Squamish. Does anyone know if the hike to Widgeon Lake is more like the former, or the latter?

My thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 12:16 AM
Hittin' the Trails

I got as far as the falls this summer, which offers the choice of incredible easy gravel road, or slightly longer and bit more technical trial. On the trial you need to go over stumps and trees and pits of mud but it's pretty simply just bring boots or don't mind getting dirty. Elevation gain is almost negligible up to that point.

From there I'm told that the last hour to the lake is an incredibly steep incline, but can't tell you much beyond that. That portion is probably closer to the chief in terms of the incline and duration, but I don't think that it's wood and stone steps, probably dirt or gravel.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 12:40 AM
High on the Mountain Top

It's long and hard, but not technically difficult. Upper section is indeed steep, can be very slippery when wet but you won't slide far, just muddily.
No edging gingerly over a narrow ledge over a sheer drop if that's what you had in mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 02:29 PM
Headed for the Mountains

It's kind of like the Grouse Grind, but way longer, and in worse shape. It starts off flat and easy. Actually this is the part I really disliked (especially on the way back) because it seemed to keep on going on and on.

It eventually starts ramping up and becomes steep towards the end. The most difficult part is wondering how much farther you have left to go while you're trying to look upwards through the trees.

When you finally top out on the ridge and look *down* at the lake, it can be tempting to say screw it and stay right there. It's actually not too bad from that part -- maybe another 5 to 10 minutes to reach the beach.

Overall it's about 18km round trip, but most of that (maybe 10-12km) is more or less flat.

It's not a casual hike, that's for sure. Would I do it again as a day trip? No. Would I do it again if I stayed up there for 2 nights? Yes.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thank you, smier, alexcanuck, and BlackPete! I appreciate your answers. Basically, what I worry about is sliding and falling off a cliff, or something like that. ;-P

This is a hike that I've been wanting to do for a long time, and I would like to camp at the top. Hopefully I'll make it some day. In the mean time, any further info that anyone has would be most appreciated.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 01:44 AM
Summit Master

it has no exposure and is safe on an average level. the creek crossings in spring can be questionable, but now is OK. route finding can be slower , but is fairly standard for an on/off trail route.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page