Question re: Sproatt Ridge in Whistler - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, biking, running, kayaking, scrambling, snowshoeing, backpacking and ice-skating.
Default Question re: Sproatt Ridge in Whistler

Hi folks,

I have tried to research CT for answers but keep having reports from 2006 appear, winter trips etc. On Sun. I am planning to take my first trip to Rainbow Lake and Gin and Tonic Lakes. What I would like to know is how much further is Sproatt Ridge? (roughly). Would it be easy to get there (is there a trail to follow and would it be worth the extra time and energy to check it out?). Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 06:05 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: hiking / backpacking, running, cycling - off road & on, canoeing, rollerblading, snowshoeing, bike trips, westy trips, yoga, reading, writing

My husband and I hiked Sproatt Ridge a few years ago and were actually planning on heading up there this weekend, but the forecast isn't looking too great so we're giving it a pass. Anyways, we went via Rainbow Lake. Just hiked the trail up to the lake and a little ways past that started making our way up the ridge. We had overnight gear with us and camped on the ridge, or 3/4 of the way up anyways. If you're going for just a day hike I'd recommend you start at first light, it's a long ways in and out and lots to explore on the ridge. There is no trail up the ridge, but it's pretty open up there and we had no problems finding our way. If you're not experienced with going off trail and don't have a GPS or topo & compass just keep extra alert so you can easily find your way back down.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Considered this mountain more than a few times. Agree with Trudel, seems like a reasonable way to get up is from Rainbow Lake....

K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, biking, running, kayaking, scrambling, snowshoeing, backpacking and ice-skating.

Thanks for your replies! Helpful.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 09:52 PM
Off the Beaten Path

There is a trail that runs up the ridge towards Gin Peak. I saw glimpses of it a few years ago. Due to snow coverage at the time, I'm not sure exactly where it starts or how far it runs.

A map I found online of this supposed trail/route.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Looking at the Map. Sproatt is a lot closer to the front of the trail, found a snow path and followed it part way up a few years ago. Hope to get up there again, either fall or winter.

K

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page