Saw this coming; BCMC erosion issue near the Grind - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Saw this coming; BCMC erosion issue near the Grind

Saw this coming a while back which is why I don't do it anymore; BCMC erosion issue near the grind;

http://www.nsnews.com/news/bcmc-trai...says-1.1324442

Frankly the problem is people tearing down the BCMC not so much hiking up. They should somehow just ban downhill like they did on the Grind. But telling people to do anything despite how sensible is simply a lost effort. Dummies are dummies.

funny BCMC vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSsNLuH-1Yc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 01:33 PM
tu
High on the Mountain Top

Get a whole bunch of Grinders leaching onto the nearby trails, in numbers, bouncing up the trail, they're going to wear down the trail. Just like they did on the Grind.

Strange how GMR was able to indoctrinate in people this weird notion that going downhill on trails is bad. Been doing it there since I was a snot-nosed kid.

Now we have erosion problems. Guess what changed? It ain't the going downhill bit.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Bouncing "up the trail" lol?

Really. I never see folks bounce up - just bounce down. Skid down. Run down. Hike down. etcetera. That causes very bad erosion very fast. Geology grade 9 taught me that one.

The grind itself is in good shape partly due to no one coming down anymore.

"Weaver and Dale (1978) found that: "During down slope travel, downhill stepping (by foot and horse) was more erosive than downhill motor biking." It should be noted that the modern mountain bike did not exist at the time of this study, but later studies show that mountain bikes have far less impacts (equal to hiking) as compared with motor bikes. (Trampling Effects of Hikers, Motorcycles, and Horses in Meadows and Forests) - T. Weaver and D. Dale - Journal of Applied Ecology 1978)"

http://www.americantrails.org/resour...enImpacts.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 02:02 PM
tu
High on the Mountain Top

That's comparing foot transport to wheeled transport. The point there is that wheeled downhill causes squat erosion.

The reference is familiar - it's used to counter people who bitch about downhill mountain bikers.

For wheeled, it's going uphill that causes much of the erosion.

For foot, greater force going down is mitigated by fewer steps. There's no magnitude difference between going up and down.

Downhill traffic is a spit in the bucket compared to all those people going up the BCMC and down the gondola.

Grouse Grind was fixed by putting in stairs. Back before they had em, you had to keep looking up for the rocks being kicked down by people going up above you. I've been hit by more than my share.

Seriously, you're blaming the small population of people, some of who's been hiking those trails for generations, for a problem they didn't cause.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 02:43 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Yes, I think it's simply a matter of a huge increase in traffic. Other effects are trail braiding where people create shortcuts. Part of the attraction of the BCMC is that it can be used nearly year round, but this also means it's getting lots of traffic in all conditions. It simply isn't built to handle similar numbers as the Grind.

Hate to say it, but it may need upgrading/reinforcement similar to the Grind trail. It's a numbers game.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 03:06 PM
Headed for the Mountains

You want to Ban hiking down the BCMC? Do you want everyone to pay for the tram ride down, or just destroy the next closest trail?
The reason the Grind isn't eroded is because they addressed the erosion problem and essentially turned it into a stone stairway. I imagine the BCMC will eventually need such measures as well due to more and more people using it. This is just one of the many problems associated with human overpopulation.

Scott

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 04:48 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Agree with guntis on this one.....if a trail like the BCMC is going to get a lot of traffic, up or downhill, it's going to have to be maintained. That's the reason the mountain biking trails on Fromme are in good shape, the community of riders maintain them. Other hiking trails like St. George's don't see anywhere near the traffic that the BCMC does, so are in reasonably good shape.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 05:19 PM
Headed for the Mountains

i'm curious what was the number of people that were hiking down either GG or BCMC when the gondola was free download, as well as $5 download, in relation to the amount of total traffic
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 08:32 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Ted Shandro sounds likee a bit of a gloom merchant;

"there's risk from rotten tree branches falling and risks of rocks, risks of slippery earth and soil, ice in the springtime... There's a whole whack of risks that go with backcountry climbing," he said.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 09:52 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, Climbing, Skiing, Mountaineering, Guitar and Aquaria

Thankyou Pointbob!

I watched that Youtube video you linked. I can't believe that sub-human slime would just throw a stick for his dog like that. And while hiking downhill as well? Incredible. What is the world coming to?!! Perhaps we should start a petition to ban sticks.

Seriously though, I think the real problem is all the other trails that do not have a gondola to ferry people down. Utter madness, forcing people to walk downhill and causing deadly erosion.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 10:17 PM
High on the Mountain Top

That video is hilariously asinine.

I love the "click HD 720p for better quality" bubble that the uploader added at the start, so, you know, you can watch the footage of the guy throwing a stick for his dog in HD!

post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 01:23 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by leimrod

That video is hilariously asinine.
Agreed. What a waste of time. I'd say the stick the reckless down-hiker threw for his dog had previously been lodged up the videographer's ass, but obviously it's still there.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 01:54 PM
Headed for the Mountains

anyone that utterly disgruntled about some guy tossing a stick for his dog should probably just kill themselves.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 03:06 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Facking dogs chasing sticks downhill in the backcountry!
post #15 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Not surprising.... much traffic over the years takes its toll.

K

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page