Tantalus Range....which hut? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Tantalus Range....which hut?

Hi all,

Looking for some info on the Lake Lovely Water hut, and the Haberl Hut.
We are going to heli into one of them over the next few weeks for a few days.

It seems like Lake Lovely water has many options for day hikes, etc...

But I'm looking to see if the Haberl Hut has the same? I know the Haberl hut cater to more alpine climbers chasing summits and such but is it limiting when it comes to outings to a lake or two or very basic trail hikes and scrambles?

Your input would greatly help our decision making.

Regards,

AT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 09:17 PM
Summit Master

Haberl Hut is basically right next to the glacier - there is nothing you can really do from there that isn't on glacier or involves pretty technical scrambling or mixed rock/ice (/snow) climbing. The Tantalus hut provides more options re hikes and more basic (Matt Gunn book) scrambles. Plus, if you're staying at the hut, you have use of the canoes and row boats that you can use to fish, explore the lake, etc.

-Ryan
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 12:39 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Send a message via MSN to Masiar

I agree with Ryan It depends what kind of hiker/climber you are. Certainly the Lake Lovely hut area is more accessible. It has the hut, tent platforms, the very best stocked hut kitchen I've seen (like solid white dishes), pots, all the delights! It will give you classic and challenging alpine routes and scrambles with access to Glaciers but no requirement to walk on them. You can chill at the lake when the legs get tired and go smell the flowers...not so much with the higher alpine hut. It's a wonderful area...but honestly if you do do this option, almost no need for the heli ride. I did it 4 months pregnant with an overnight pack. You hire a boat ($60), and the hike up is like 2-3 hrs. Admittedly it was fun to witness the little helicopters land and take off near the lake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 01:00 PM
High on the Mountain Top

There is nothing I would consider a "hike" near the Haberl hut. In saying that, it's a beautiful location even just to spend a few days. Large west facing Panoramic windows. You run the risk of getting stuck there if the clouds sock it in which they frequently do. You can scramble down easy slabs to the west for something to do. There is an idyllic little lake and meadow down there that I'm sure nobody visits during the summer.

Tantalus Hut would be a better bet. You can canoe the lake, dock anywhere and explore. Hiking options are limited. It's mostly scrambling and route finding if you venture beyond Niobe meadows or the Russian Army Camp.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page