Mountain Lake Hut area access? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Mountain Lake Hut area access?

Anyone been up to the Mountain Lake Hut area lately? I was thinking of going there for a day hike but from what I can gather on-line, the access road (Britannia FSR) is closed. True? And if so, is there another way to get there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 02:55 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountaineering, Backcountry Skiing, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Photography

The modern access is from Furry Creek now that Britannia is gated. The BCMC has built a trail from the Cyrtina creek spur to Mountain Lake via Wind Lake.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 01:24 AM
Summit Master

Interest: 10%

Britannia Gate (at top of the hill past Furry Creek) was open this past Tuesday morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 04:18 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountaineering, Backcountry Skiing, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Photography

Simon are you talking about the gate just off the highway, or the one past the Britannia / Furry junction?

Also I understand the upper part of the Britannia road system was destroyed in a flood when they breached the dams and hasn't been rebuilt. Getting up to the historical access route (at Utopia? Lake) will probably be very hard. I think some folks have been able to get onto the ridgetop near the mine pit and then hike along the ridgetop to mountain lake.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 06:51 PM
Summit Master

The gate off the highway at the top of the hill. Recent reports have said the gate accessed from the golf course area (road goes towards Capilano Watershed, IPP and Beth Lake/Capilano Mtn trailhead) is locked. That route also had the connector (4x4) road to Furry Creek FSR.

Britannia Main at the top of the hill was open. .8km up that is a junction, left continues as Britannia into the old mining areas and up to Jane Basin (old Britannia Main from Britannia Beach joins it somewhere). Going right at the junction at .8km is Furry Creek FSR which goes to the Cyrtina Spur and trail to Mountain Lake. There is an old gate on that road but it's been open for a long time.

Older spurs off Britannia towards the dams/lakes are overgrown but you can drive up towards Jane Basin.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scottN

The modern access is from Furry Creek now that Britannia is gated. The BCMC has built a trail from the Cyrtina creek spur to Mountain Lake via Wind Lake.
Oh, I see. I think I was confused about which road I meant. Maybe I still am. I knew that the old, old route was no more. I was there in 2003 or so on a BCMC trip when they fixed up the hut, and worked out where the new trail should be. (I take no credit for that, as I was just a non-member who happened to join in on a weekend trip, and just followed the leader. I did carry up some planks for the hut). I recall a key was needed to open a gate.

Picture from 2003; it was the August long weekend and we didn't see another soul the whole weekend:

Then in 2011 I went up that way with some friends for a day hike, up the new trail which was now well established. I wasn't driving, and I don't recall the details of which roads to take. Gate was open. I would like to go up there again, but according to this:

https://www.clubtread.com/routes/Route.aspx?Route=1600

"From Hwy 99 northbound, take the exit just past the top of the long hill climbing out of Furry Creek. This is the Brittania Creek FSR (exit is not available from southbound lanes).

After passing the gate, continue for 0.9 km and turn right on the Furry Creek FSR."

"As of Aug 16, 2012 both the Furry Creek and Brittania FSR's are closed for industrial use. Check the ministry site for road updates (http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/dsq/enginee...nformation.htm)."

I checked that site and it said Britannia/Furry Creek was closed. So my friend and I planned a different hike for that day, but I am surprised nobody on CT has mentioned the lack of access and I thought I'd see if anyone else has tried to go there recently.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 10:42 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Wish I'd seen this thread 24 hours ago.

If you turn off the highway there's a gated road that begins just after the golf course- you don't get back on the highway. Proved a little too much for my driving or the forester, not sure which. This is furry creek far I believe. Later that day I'd find Britannia far with gate open as well which is marked by a stop sign and a Britannia sign at the top of the hill going out of furry creek.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 01:39 PM
Summit Master

To clear this up: Furry Creek FSR does not reach the highway. It starts .8km up the Britannia FSR (which branches off the highway at the top of the hill north of Furry Creek Golf Course). The road accessed from Furry Creek Golf Course area goes towards the Capilano Watershed (blocked at the border) with a left spur (4x4) that joins to Furry Creek FSR and further up another left spur (Downing Creek) that provides access to Beth Lake Trail etc.

Last I heard and saw was that the Britannia Gate was open and the lower road near the golf course was closed.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 01:46 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I hiked up there last year (June 2013). At that time the lower route up from the golf course had a locked gate, but the upper route (via Britannia FSR) was not gated.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 01:56 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonc
[
Last I heard and saw was that the Britannia Gate was open and the lower road near the golf course was closed.
Word of mouth says BOTH gates are going to be locked very soon. Even the District FSR website says the road is Closed. I believe, like the Stawamus FSR previously when "Closed" that they can and will fine people who trespass.

post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 02:12 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Climbing

When you reserve the hut, you get the key.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page