First, thanks for your interest in this subject. We are pretty floored by these reckless and criminal acts.
I thought I would update with where we are at with these thefts. We appreciate CT members keeping their eyes out on this forum, craigslist, and pretty much anywhere else for any of the gear or anything suspicious. We suspect the vandalism and break-ins occurred sometime over this last weekend. If you have anything to report, please call North Van RCMP and/or email [email protected]
From both caches the following items/kits were taken:
- Stihl Chainsaw and associated kit (Fuel, wedges, tools, spare parts, chaps, helmet, axe, etc.)
- Mountain Rescue Kit (PMP pulley's, brake bar rack, carabiners, pitons, ice screws, webbing, etc.)
- Rescue Ropes (11mm Static - Various Colours)
- Trauma Kit (dressings, diagnostics, splinting, airway, etc.)
- Hypothermia Equipment (Blizzard SPR blankets, Sleeping Bags, Reactor Stoves and fuel cartridges)
- Various other items marked NSR
All equipment is marked with NSR logo and extensive felt pen writing. Thus, look for circular marks where a logo may have been removed. You will be able to see examples of these items in the North Shore News or Global BC tonight.
Ultimately, these caches are there for public safety, but are primarily located for rescuer safety. They should be secure from being molested with no more than a zip tie, let alone a pad lock. Now we are going to take extensive, and costly, steps to secure each cache. We will also be looking into devices for catching future criminals in the act.
For now, please be vigilant and report anything suspicious.
North Shore Rescue