Hanes Valley SAR chache - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 01:12 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Pretty disgusting. I hope they catch them and punish them with the full extent of the law (vandalism, theft, perhaps some obscure aviation law for the damage to the heli-pad, endangering public safety, etc.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 01:16 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I have a feeling this person(s) will be caught.

This is so weird and so low.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 08:53 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: outdoors, hiking, camping, biking, cruising the seven seas

News 1130 is reporting that London Drugs has donated $10,000 to NSR to help pay for replacement gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 10:22 AM
Summit Master

Yes, two caches broken into and gear stolen. If anyone has been/is hiking in the Lynn/Grouse area and sees anything out of the ordinary (this is generally heavy and substantial gear that would have to be packed out), please let me know.

-Ryan
post #20 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 12:03 PM
Ryl
Headed for the Mountains

This is starting to sound less like theft and more like a directed vendetta against NSR. How many caches do they have out there? Are the locations of the others easily found by such a psychopath?
post #21 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 12:29 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Yeah I hope they don't just put more stuff back into the cache because if the guy got away with a couple thousand dollars worth of stuff, pretty sure he will go right back. Might be time to move them to an area close by but not plainly visible from the popular trail that only you guys know about.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 01:22 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Spectrum

Yeah I hope they don't just put more stuff back into the cache because if the guy got away with a couple thousand dollars worth of stuff, pretty sure he will go right back. Might be time to move them to an area close by but not plainly visible from the popular trail that only you guys know about.
On the news, one of the SAR staff mentioned they would reinforce the locks somehow.

I'm assuming the lock will have a thick metal box around it so only the keyhole can be accessed like the put on FSR gates.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 06:23 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Anything related to the outdoors (climbing, skiing, hiking, camping, kayaking, snow shoeing)
Send a message via MSN to coj99

First, thanks for your interest in this subject. We are pretty floored by these reckless and criminal acts.

I thought I would update with where we are at with these thefts. We appreciate CT members keeping their eyes out on this forum, craigslist, and pretty much anywhere else for any of the gear or anything suspicious. We suspect the vandalism and break-ins occurred sometime over this last weekend. If you have anything to report, please call North Van RCMP and/or email [email protected]

From both caches the following items/kits were taken:
  • Stihl Chainsaw and associated kit (Fuel, wedges, tools, spare parts, chaps, helmet, axe, etc.)
  • Mountain Rescue Kit (PMP pulley's, brake bar rack, carabiners, pitons, ice screws, webbing, etc.)
  • Rescue Ropes (11mm Static - Various Colours)
  • Trauma Kit (dressings, diagnostics, splinting, airway, etc.)
  • Hypothermia Equipment (Blizzard SPR blankets, Sleeping Bags, Reactor Stoves and fuel cartridges)
  • Various other items marked NSR
All equipment is marked with NSR logo and extensive felt pen writing. Thus, look for circular marks where a logo may have been removed. You will be able to see examples of these items in the North Shore News or Global BC tonight.

Ultimately, these caches are there for public safety, but are primarily located for rescuer safety. They should be secure from being molested with no more than a zip tie, let alone a pad lock. Now we are going to take extensive, and costly, steps to secure each cache. We will also be looking into devices for catching future criminals in the act.

For now, please be vigilant and report anything suspicious.

Sincerely,

Curtis Jones

North Shore Rescue
post #24 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 09:31 PM
Summit Master

In some ways it's fortunate that hikers did not encounter the individual(s) responsible for this as the outcome could have resulted in some very negative interaction and potential for assault. It is a long ways back in the valley to be encountering individuals like this and cell phone reception is next to nil. I can't remember but I hope there is some video of that time period from the entrance available for review.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 10:07 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Pure insanity. The destruction of the helipad with the chainsaw seems to indicate someone with a hate on for NSR. That, or maybe a few guys out hiking who are out of towners, saw the cache, had little idea of what it was... decided to sneak in and started fucking around.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 11:43 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking / camping

time for some trail cams.
post #27 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 12:23 AM
Summit Master

I still think the stuff is out there hidden somewhere. You can't walk out of these places with a chainsaw without someone noticing, let alone the whole works. Perhaps tracking dogs could find it. Except that it's been raining.

If vandalism was the sole motivation, wouldn't it be easiest to burn the stuff? Like soaked with gas on the helipad? Seems like theft is at least part of it.
post #28 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 12:50 AM
Summit Master

obviously starting the saw and cutting the helipad up was not a concern to the people involved, they have nothing to hide and want to be caught. This is a case of serious payback or complicated mental issues, not just random vandalism.
post #29 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

I run the headwaters/Norvan trail on a regular basis and I'm racking my brain wondering if I saw anything unusual last week but nothing comes to mind.... on my current runs I'm keeping my eyes on the spur paths and in the brush for possible gear dumped.
post #30 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Fireweed

I run the headwaters/Norvan trail on a regular basis and I'm racking my brain wondering if I saw anything unusual last week but nothing comes to mind.... on my current runs I'm keeping my eyes on the spur paths and in the brush for possible gear dumped.

It woulds be a tough haul regardless. back up Crown or down across on that high suspended log crossing over the creek.

K

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page